Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

How much are they ? I would be inclined to do oil and filter now and oil and filter again at the next change.

Also - if its 'sealed for life' you might want to check and see if the drain/filler plugs are reusable.

How much are they ? I would be inclined to do oil and filter now and oil and filter again at the next change.

Also - if its 'sealed for life' you might want to check and see if the drain/filler plugs are reusable.

They are around £30. I'll change it now as I only did the oil last week and done 50 miles since then. Might not be a bad idea changing the filter again then but they aren't even a serviceable item, there is no schedule supplied by Honda.

No it's not sealed for life, Honda recommend changing it. There is only a drain plug and I've got new crush washers for it, you refill it through the dipstick hole :)

dip stick hole ?

if there is no service schedule i would just go over the top then. At least you know you have done whatever you can.

Yes to check the level of the gearbox oil, same as the engine oil.

Next to the battery, yellow handle on the dipstick.

accord.JPG

(not my engine bay!)

The APP sensor arrived yesterday, fitted it last night and it seems to have cured the problem :) Only done 10 miles so far but the rev counter is behaving now. Sometimes when I lift off the revs will dip slightly below where they should be then rise again, this is a difference of 300-400rpm and the Civic does it as well so it must be an auto thing.

Just need to order my exhaust today, the gearbox filter and sort out the sliding drivers seat, then that should be it for a while - hopefully!

The car seems to run the same as when it did with the fault so I think it was just an electrical gremlin. The missus was using it yesterday while I worked on the Civic and she said you can hear the exhaust blowing so there might be more holes further up the system where I haven't checked yet.

Well I've just ordered a complete new exhaust from the cat back, new gaskets and bolts/nuts so the whole lot is getting replaced. It looks like the car has lived by the sea for some of it's life as there is alot of rust underneath, so it's not a surprise the exhaust is so rusty.

You can see the O ring gaskets in this parts diagram. Hopefully I can get the car up high enough to fit it myself but if I can't I'll have to pop it over to WIM. The hardest bit will just be where it bolts to the cat, the rest is just hanging it and then fixing the second backbox.

What's the best way to prise the rubber hangers off if you don't have the proper tool or should I just buy these?

B__0201.jpg

See what i mean about those gaskets......... As for the rubbers, it's simple. WD40 the hanger, offer something like a tyre lever against the rubber and hit that with a hammer.... The key word is lubricant.

Good idea, I will do that. I've asked for it to be delivered on Thursday when I'm off work so I'll see how high I can jack the car up and spray everything beforehand. Hopefully the couriers turn up early with it!

Rich any interest in a pair of ramps and a wooden creeper? Old but very solid if they can take a Mustang as well as other cars I have owned.

Free of charge and I could drop off this Sunday morning if interested.

P.M. me if you are interested.

Rich any interest in a pair of ramps and a wooden creeper? Old but very solid if they can take a Mustang as well as other cars I have owned.

Free of charge and I could drop off this Sunday morning if interested.

P.M. me if you are interested.

Thanks for the offer :) but I don't think I would use them TBH, I'm not really a fan of those ramps and 99% of jobs I do involve taking the wheels off. The creeper would be no good on a gravel driveway :(

So my new parts aren't coming tomorrow now but will be here on Friday. Only problem is the left hand backbox is out of stock until the 2nd week of April when I'm away!

Hopefully I can get the old backbox off and use it with the other part of the new exhaust without any issues. The studs are on the backbox but it's very rusty so they could be a sod to remove and then put back on. I wouldn't fancy using new nuts on rusty studs.

Only other option is if I spend tomorrow checking the whole exhaust and patching every hole up I can find so it's not blowing.

Part 33 are the nuts to hold the backbox on and 18 is the gasket. If I put a blanking plate over the end I might get alot of vibration from it cos there is no hanger on the pipe between the backboxes.

I'll give the nuts a good spray tomorrow and see if they will undo although the weather forecast isn't great! :(

I think the exhaust will have to be fitted at WIM, I just had a good look at the bolts/nuts and they are very rusty!!!! It's gonna be too much aggro for me to jack the whole car up and then get underneath to cut them off. I can't see them undoing but have given them a good soak anyway.

I also took my drivers seat out to try and cure the sliding issue when accelerating/braking/cornering hard. I found this thread on a US forum - http://www.v6performance.net/forums/7th-generation-honda-accord-2003-2007/210468-drivers-seat-fix.html

I thought I'd give it a go and it's only 2 bolts to remove, prise the rubber bush out, rotate it and put it back in. It bloody worked as well!!! :D Just been for a test drive with lots of hard braking, accelerating and cornering - the seat is rock solid now.

I need to do the passenger seat as well but will do that next week, cos I need to disconnect the battery for the airbag and then do the idle learn procedure when I connect it back up.

Underneath of bush. You can see when it's been crushed at the sides over the years, so I turned it 90 degrees so the flat side is now in that position. Time will tell as to how long it'll last but Honda recommend replacing the entire seat frame (£1,000) whereas all you need to do is replace the bush!

IMG_20140327_110047.jpg

It really has made a difference to the driving experience of the car, when the seat was sliding if was abit unnerving!

I think the bush is more like a grommet so I'm going to buy some different ones if I can and try to replace them.

I take it the wipers on the Civic are working properly now?

Missed the delivery for the exhaust yesterday so went and collected it this morning. It doesn't look that long when you look at it on the car but it went from the very edge of the boot up to the dash!

Got to wait for the second backbox and they forgot to send the gaskets and new nuts so they're to come as well.

Fitted the gearbox filter straight away. I need a tool that will compress hose clips properly, the mole grips weren't wide enough. Got it changed and it's made a noticeable difference to the gear change. The car was already warm though so need to see what it's like from cold. I'll be doing another fluid change in 500 miles as well.

Just the auxiliary belt and air con to sort then.

if it were me i would give it an extended 'Italian Tune-up' and then do it right after that. Thats just me!

The problem I had first time round was I didn't realise I had to remove the undertray. So I got back from a good run to change it, only to spend 20 minutes removing the tray first! That will be coming off first before I change it again so it's not had a chance to cool down, although it did flow freely when I did it. I think 300 miles is enough for the new oil to mix with the old so I'll try and do it again on Thursday.

I think I've managed to patch the holey exhaust up now, I think it was effecting the performance abit as well. Doesn't seem to be blowing anymore though.

I didn't get time to do the AT oil change again, I will wait until I'm back but I did check the level yesterday and it was just below the minimum mark!! Now I was really careful when I changed it and checked the level several times when I was refilling it and it was near the maximum mark. Could the oil of settled in other places after a drive, which brought the level down?

I topped it up and it's above the minimum now but I need to put some more in later so it's back to the maximum mark. The oil on the dipstick is red now so it's definitely abit cleaner than before.

Also changed my auxiliary belt yesterday, it was frayed in 2 places and wasn't too bad to change over so that's another job off the list.