Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

I really don't understand why people fit new pads to discs that need replacing or garages don't say you need new ones. I have always replaced both apart from once on the Civic cos they weren't that old.

Is it possible for discs to do that mileage even? Maybe they have been replaced but the paperwork was left out. Even so you can see they've been on a long time.

On the way to work earlier the brakes actually felt better and abit sharper, I don't think it's just me! All I did was inspect the discs/pads but I did apply copper grease to the pad edges but I don't think that would've made a difference? The only other thing I can think of is the temperature was only 10 degrees so maybe that has contributed?

The rear brake that was dragging still felt warmer than the other side when I got here as well but there was no burning smell. I'll see what it's like the next couple of days and then maybe back it off another notch. I had a nightmare trying to adjust these on the Corolla so I don't want to mess with it too much!

So what are you going to "back off a bit?"

As I said on Saturday it's the handbrake shoes dragging slightly that was causing the slight burning smell. I've already backed them off a couple of notches but the disc was still warmer than the other side this morning although the smell seems to have gone.

I think all the issues I had with the Corolla's brakes has made me paranoid about them now!!

I checked last night and this morning, both wheels DON'T get hot and the side that was dragging I can put my finger on the centre part of the disc for about 3 seconds before it becomes too hot, the other side is around 4 seconds and feels abit cooler.

How much difference in heat is acceptable between each side?

We're going away on Friday night so I'll back the handbrake shoes off another notch. I did remove the caliper and put the wheel back on last time though to make sure it spun freely, which it did. I think it's acceptable for them to slightly catch otherwise when you do put the handbrake on it wouldn't hold the car very well cos they don't move that much?

I took it apart again yesterday and gave the pads a wipe with white spirit. The springs seem fine and move ok although they are covered in alot of dust/dirt.

The inside of the disc had a fair bit of corrosion on it though, which I sanded back and also gave that a clean with white spirit. They are Honda discs and I have a feeling these have never been changed but I know the pads have. I backed the adjuster off another couple of notches and the disc span freely. When I applied the handbrake I couldn't move the wheel but on releasing it again it was rubbing slightly - is that normal?

When I got to work earlier the smell had gone and it didn't feel like there was as much heat coming from it. I can hold my finger on the hub for the same time each side. The handbrake holds on a hill, there are plenty of steep ones to try around here but if I engage it and let go of the foot brake the car seems to lurch slightly to one side. So I think I need to tighten it again by a couple of notches but it does hold and will do for now but I rarely park on hills anyway. Another thing I noticed is if I engage the handbrake, put it into a drive and try to pull away slowly the car does move, but it holds in neutral.

I didn't check the cables or lineage, there was no one around to pull the handbrake up while I checked the movement. I'm fairly certain they're ok though, I've just backed the adjuster off a tad too much. I just needed to stop the hub getting hot, which I've done hopefully cos we're going away this evening. I'll keep an eye on it and check all the cables when we're back but if I take the shoes and springs out what's the best way of cleaning all the dust off?