Jump to content

Rich

Root Admin
  • Posts

    35,558
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    127

Rich last won the day on May 31

Rich had the most liked content!

About Rich

  • Birthday 08/04/1980

Previous Fields

  • Vehicle
    Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer and MX5 MK2

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    Rickmansworth

Recent Profile Visitors

5,467 profile views

Rich's Achievements

Experienced

Experienced (11/14)

  • Very Popular Rare
  • Reacting Well Rare
  • Dedicated Rare
  • First Post Rare
  • Posting Machine Rare

Recent Badges

251

Reputation

  1. I'm sure Tony always said getting the geometry done on a hunter system was better than a supertracker. Maybe try and find a garage locally who uses one. A good place to start is the align my car website. https://alignmycar.co.uk/
  2. He sure was. If the car has been used for towing then I'm sure that's affected the suspension to some degree. The side that's in red only looks to be slightly outside of the suggested setting. I don't know if the difference between that side and the other would cause any issues. I think the camber is adjusted using eccentric bolts through one of the suspension arms. Have these arms been checked to make sure they're not bent or the bushes excessively worn?
  3. I don't know if you read the thread but Tony who founded WIM passed away in February. He was the one who answered the technical questions like this, his knowledge was superior. The rest of us probably can't help you much with this. There's quite a difference in the rear camber like you say. Is it adjustable on this car?
  4. Still waiting for my mortgage broker to reply, he's taking a while! I read that you can't get a fixed rate under 2% any more and Santander are offering me 2.49% with a £999 fee. Trying to look online and the cheapest fix seems to be around 2.25%. I suppose it could be less via a broker. But the difference between those is under £20 a month. Now my broker charges £300 so by the time I factor that in I'm not actually saving much. So I'm thinking I might just take the current deal. Another option is to try a fee free broker who obviously make commission on selling mortgages from the lenders. But I'd need to find one with a good reputation and go through the whole process again of applying. I have 50 days left before my fixed rate ends so need to decide!
  5. I thought it was strange you could add the fee to the mortgage and the repayments were cheaper than the no fee option. My brother fixed at 0.99% in December for 2 years. He could've done 5 years for 1.5% and is kicking himself now that he didn't for that. The best tracker deal I was offered included free everything and no fees for 2.69%. But given how the base rate is rising I'm not taking that. Need to chase my mortgage guy up but if I have to the Santander deal isn't that bad when you consider there's no credit checks and other fees to pay.
  6. Definitely, especially as they were predicting the base rate to increase by the end of the year and it's already gone up! Still waiting for my mortgage guy to get back to me but we're currently with Santander and they've offered a tracker for 1.94%. That's the base rate plus 1.19% but they haven't added the latest increase on yet! There are two fixed offers for 2 and 5 years with a £999 product fee at 2.59%, then 2, 3, 5 and 7 year fixes without a fee but 2.79%. Adding the fee to the mortgage increases the repayments by £5, taking the no fee rate adds another £6 on top of that. So if I stuck with them the best thing to do is pay the fee upfront. Doing a quick search online I can see they aren't the best rates available ATM as sticking with Santander would add at least £40 a month to our current repayments. Hopefully we can find something close to our current rate but we need to hurry up!
  7. Base rate has increased to 1% now so that's made my mind up to fix again. But you do make a good point about 5 and 10 year fixes being the same rate. With everything else going up and factoring in an October energy rise we'd be struggling if we took a tracker deal. If we definitely knew we'd be moving within 6 month I'd do it but I really can't be sure.
  8. It's £40 for the hosting, that's 12 months. The domain name expires in December and I'm trying to get that put in to my name. Or if I can't then hopefully it won't be renewed and I can buy it myself. I can't change the hosting until I get access to the domain name. I think we'd probably get away with using the forum unlicensed for at least a year but it depends on what updates we'd no longer have access to. If the forum starts getting spammed that's easily sorted by manually approving all new registrations.
  9. I've never used those tyres before but I don't think you can go wrong with them, especially if you don't push the car. I always use tyre reviews when I purchase new tyres. https://www.tyrereviews.com/Tyre/Michelin/
  10. I think starting a new job in a new area will force our hand anyway as it would depend when the job starts. Plus trying to buy somewhere means we're limited to what is available at that time. At least with selling first and having a good deposit in the bank means we can spend a little time finding something that we like. I've asked my mortgage guy what fixed rates he can get but I think we'll be doing that for the time being and see how things pan out. Trackers seem to be lower than fixed rates ATM but if the base rate rises by 1% or more in the next year they will be alot higher. I'm sure some lenders reduce the ERC when you get close to the end of the fixed term so we might not have to put the move off for that long.
  11. Thanks Adam and Geoff. I've enjoyed looking after the forum. Being a small one it doesn't need that much work really! The forum has been more of a social platform the last few years anyway, rather than business oriented, especially when Tony was no longer at the centre. I've checked when the hosting expires and it's the end of June so we have a couple of months left. There are plenty of forums still using old software so if I can find hosting that's cheap enough I might be able to keep it going a little bit longer. If you have any photos and PMs you want I would suggest you save them sooner rather than later.
  12. Yes that is a concern too and I'm not actually keen on renting TBH. But I think trying to juggle a move and start a new job is going to be too much. If I secure a job but can't sell or find anywhere to buy shortly afterwards I'd have to rent some where short term so I can stay during the week. There's no way I could commute it! People I know who have done this either rented anyway, work remotely, commuted back or were retiring so didn't need to find a job! We're looking to move close to Norwich, unless something really nice further away comes up. So I've been looking for jobs around there. My plan was to get a job, rent nearby and if it works out buy somewhere in that area if we liked it. At least with renting first, if we didn't like the area we wouldn't be tied to it.
  13. Spot on Andy, it can't live forever and I know it'll have to go at some point. From the number of likes it seems most are in agreement. I think Tony did want me to keep it going as he mentioned it a few times but forums just aren't what they used to be. I have to admit this is the only one I really use now. I don't use them like I did 10 years a go. Some of the big ones I'm on are so quiet now. If I can find some hosting cheap enough I'll see how long I can keep it going but I won't be paying to renew the license. I've never heard of Discord so will have a look at that but I'm assuming I wouldn't be able to transfer the database from here to that one so it would mean starting again.
  14. But then what if we sell, rent somewhere first and mortgages start increasing alot making it more difficult to get one. Although with rates rising could we see a housing crash instead and prices start dropping. If only we could predict the future! I really think selling/buying and starting a new job will be too much hassle in one go. I guess we could also stay put for another 2 years and then move when things have hopefully settled down.
  15. If we weren't planning on moving then I would fix it but if I do that and move next year (we are selling and renting to start with) I'll have to pay thousands in early repayment charges. So although a tracker will have higher repayments, in the long term it should save me quite a bit. The only other option is to sell and buy while trying to find and start a new job, which is going to be a pain. But then I could fix it and port the mortgage over assuming I don't need to change the amount.
×
×
  • Create New...