Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

On the way to Norfolk last night we stopped halfway after 70 miles and I checked the wheel, which was cold. There wasn't much heat coming from the brakes, about normal I'd say. Checked it when we got here after another 80 miles and it was the same. Fingers crossed it stays that way.

Spoke too soon! The drive to and around Norfolk was fine, did just under 350 miles in total and the brake didn't get hot on the longer runs until we came home on Saturday night. I forgot to check when we stopped halfway but when we got home it felt abit warm and had that smell again. All I can think of is when we stopped after 80 miles and put the handbrake on it didn't release properly on that side when we carried on? It was fine when I got to work this morning but it's usually when I go home that it feels hotter so will check later.

I think the best thing for me to do is take all the springs and clips off to clean them properly but I'll check the cable is working properly first. What can I use to clean everything, will hot soapy water be ok, then spray with brake cleaner and dry?

Does that mean replacing or can they be cleaned - is there a specific way to test them? The same problem on the Corolla seemed to be the springs and adjusters though cos after a clean and refit (when Iain had it) it was fine and it still is now.

Nope... it needed adjusting. Took the garage all of 15 mins to sort :)

Our Civic was doing what your accord is. Joe sorted it in 15 mins as it was something to do with the wear indicator mechanism holding the inside pad on. Caliper was fine (thought it was a binding caliper) 

Nope... it needed adjusting. Took the garage all of 15 mins to sort :)

Our Civic was doing what your accord is. Joe sorted it in 15 mins as it was something to do with the wear indicator mechanism holding the inside pad on. Caliper was fine (thought it was a binding caliper) 

I thought you said they took it all apart to clean cos the first time they overtightened it and you had to go back when the wheels were smoking?!

The Civic uses the handbrake off the caliper but the Accord doesn't, it's inside the disc like the Corolla. The caliper and pads don't smell but the inside of the disc does so it's something to do with this. I'll have one last go and then I'll go see Joe!

That was the first garage I took the Corolla to. They had the car 5 times (3 times in one day when the brakes kept on setting on fire!), cleaned it, adjusted etc but it was never right until I got it serviced and the other garage (who knew more about the car being ex Toyota mechanic) sorted it FOC. Smallest adjustment was all it needed where as the other adjustments were too tight or too loose.

Good to hear its still fine especially after all the faff you had with it and then I had back and forth.

Ah, I thought they sorted it, eventually. I'm hoping that is all it'll be, just needs adjusting another notch or 2 but they are the biggest PITA ever, it literally has to be spot on.

Have you seen the car recently, the front splitter is well scuffed now!!!  :rolleyes:

I had another look yesterday and I'm noticing that when I adjust the shoes so they don't drag, after applying the handbrake they drag again, they seem to catch in one place. I have backed them off abit more but I am suspecting it might be the cable now not releasing them properly. Surely if I've adjusted them so they don't drag they should stay that way after using the handbrake?

With the slider pins, after removing the caliper should there be any residence when I try to move them? Once I've moved them once they are fine and slide in/out smoothly.

I also cleaned under the piston dust cover as there was alot of dirt on it but no rust.

I'll keep an eye on it and see how things go but the handbrake does seem to have more travel in it now, holding the car on a hill at 9-10 clicks! I'm going to order some new front brakes, which I'll fit but then I think I'll get Joe to take a look.

What about the slider pins does that sound normal, it's almost like something is sucking them in? But if I pull them out then it'll be fine afterwards. I only used a smear of grease on the pins as I know too much can cause that. I cleaned the holes out as well and there's no corrosion on them, plus the boots aren't split. It does this on both sides as well so maybe it's normal.

You need to back-off the handbrake adjuster then adjust the shoes and then adjust the handbrake travel.... Four to five clicks is good.  Also look at the cable for any "blown" areas ( normally on a bend ) in the cables attachment points, this is a sure sign of rust in the cable or casing.