Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

Should be checked hot, with the engine idling, after pausing in "R" / "N" / "D" for 20 or 30 seconds each,  20 minute drive minimum to make sure its hot too.

It could just be there was a small amount of air in there when you last checked, at the very top of the gearbox, and that's now gone. Back to the max and check daily for a few days will let you know if its leaking.

On the Honda it's checked with the engine off but within 1 minute of turning it off. I went through all the gears and a long drive afterwards so it's probably like you say just some air in there. I might take the bottle with me when we go away this afternoon, just in case it needs topping up again. I'm certain there are no leaks, I can't see any.

:offtopic: You off then?........

Yep picking Josh up at 3:30pm from school and heading straight there. Gonna leave work early so I can get this oil topped up and check it's ok before going. Will be interesting to see if we get all the luggage in the boot!! :D

Yeah got it all in - 2 large holdalls, 1 small holdall, 1 medium sized suitcase, bedding, scooter, remote control car, dog stuff, several carrier bags of stuff. It's a big boot! :D

I've checked the gearbox oil several times now and it seems to be staying on the max. Sounds like the exhaust has started blowing again but not sure if it's a hole I've already patched or a new one! What a PITA! Might have to buy some gungum up here and see if I can patch it. Honda emailed to say the second backbox has arrived though.

Now that we only have one dog she sat on a sheet on the back seat with a harness on.

The boot is huge, the only thing I had to put on the floor by the rear seats was the cool bag.

I got 23.5 mpg from the tank, which wasn't too bad considering the car was fully loaded doing the 150 miles there. We also got held up on every road cos of roadworks or just congestion. It took about 90 minutes longer to get there, 4.5 hours in total!!  :banghead:  Another 145 miles was done around the towns and country lanes without the luggage and the exhaust is still blowing slightly, which can't be helping.

Since I've had the car I've only used Shell fuel but tried some Tesco 99 before we went away. The Corolla hated it and it gave the worse mpg but I couldn't tell any difference in the Accord. I put Esso fuel in for the tank I used when going away and it seems slightly better. The missus has also noticed this when using their fuel in the Civic compared to Shell so I might stick with that for abit.

A couple of photos of the boot to show just how much it can hold!

IMG_20140412_153852.jpg

IMG_20140412_191500.jpg

I popped down to WIM on Saturday to have the exhaust fitted, big thanks to Joe and Mick for sorting that out, didn't take them long :)

The old system wasn't too bad compared to what some people have said theirs looked like, fist sized holes in the top of the backboxes but mine were fine. It was mainly the pipes behind the boxes, the Y splitter and around the silencers that had holes. There was also a clamp around part of the exhaust where it had been cut and re-joined - not sure why as there is nothing in the history about this.

Also renewed the tax today, £285 for a year now!

Old System

old_exhaust_01.jpg

old_exhaust_02.jpg

old_exhaust_03.jpg

New Exhaust

It is a long system, nearly filled the length of my shed!

new_exhaust_01.jpg

new_exhaust_02.jpg

Tailpipe Trims

They were minging so I removed them today for a clean, tardis and polish with wire wool and autosol - almost perfect now! :)

tailpipe_trims_before_01.jpg

tailpipe_trims_before_02.jpg

tailpipe_trims_after_01.jpg

tailpipe_trims_after_02.jpg

Looking good. It's always pleasing to remove s**t rusty parts and put new shiny ones on!

I would've preferred a stainless system but they're just too pricey for me ATM. This should last 5-10 years at least hopefully.

There's nothing you can do to preserve the life of a steel exhaust is there apart from maybe wash any crap off?

I wouldnt even bother with that - they usually rot from the inside out in my experience.

I don't think I could be arsed with that anyway! :lol:

I'll keep an eye on any that might come up for sale though, never know I could get lucky!

Yeah it was way past repairing! I'm intrigued as to why that clamp was on that join though, the system is one piece with the exception of the second backbox. The only thing I can think of is they got another used exhaust and joined it to the existing one but looking at the history almost everything has been done by the dealers.

The car is running abit smoother now I think and is certainly quieter. I'll give it another week or 2 and then I'll drop and change the gearbox oil again. Once that's done it's just the air con to fix and I'm still looking for a space saver as there is no spare wheel.

We have second-hand space savers at the centre, give Joe a call....... As for the exhaust sound just give it a few weeks.... Initially they sound like a fart in a tin can because there's no, let's say soot lining the inside so the pressurised gas has no soundproofing. 

Cool I didn't know that. On the subject of space savers can you use alloy nuts with them as they're steel?

I'm getting paranoid about the rear brakes now, I stripped them down for a clean before we went away and the pads were wedged in the carrier. It's been fine since I sorted it but Wednesday when I got home from work I'm sure I got a whiff of hot brakes again! I hope I don't have to go down the route of replacing calipers like I did on the Corolla! I'll clean the piston this time, that was the only thing I didn't do but it's been fine since I sorted the brake pads so I'm not so sure it is that, might be the sliders but I cleaned and greased those already.

dont replace the brakes Rich, you need to replace the flexi pipe.

the Tourer rear flexi brake pipes are well known to corrode.  its not the caliper, but the fact the flexi is old and has expanded so the piston does not return after being pushed out.

Blimey... you and brakes don't have much luck :D

It's got to be a Jap thing, never had issues with the Fords I had for 10-12 years. All they ever needed was disc and pad changes, never touched the calipers on those.

dont replace the brakes Rich, you need to replace the flexi pipe.

the Tourer rear flexi brake pipes are well known to corrode.  its not the caliper, but the fact the flexi is old and has expanded so the piston does not return after being pushed out.

Yep I know that, I will be changing them if another clean doesn't work. If it was the flexi hoses I would have assumed the issue will be there all the time, but it went after sorting the pads out so I'm not convinced it is those yet.

I need to replace the front discs/pads as well, the brakes are brilliant and feel quite soft even after a fluid change.

• 3 weeks later...

I did another gearbox oil change last week and it definitely came out cleaner this time, more of a brown/red colour rather than black. I tried to take a photo but it still looks black.

Not driven that far since the change but the hesitation between 1st to 2nd when I first drive the car is still there but the gear changes are abit smoother and it also seems to have smoothed out how quickly the rpms drop when you back off the throttle. Well going by the needle movement it has anyway, I can't tell from the engine noise.

I've got enough oil for one more change so I'll do that in a years time (around 5k miles) and then do it again 25k miles after that, rather than the recommended 50k.

IMG_20140516_110915.jpg