Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

Rich... dont worry too much bout the brake pedal. mine does the same.

i had the fluid changed less than a year ago and it didnt change a thing.

Press the brake pedal hard, it becomes very resistive about 3/4 way down.. keep pushing and the pedal goes slightly soft and will depress to the floor.

let go and repeat the above.. same again...

i have done some hard braking (private road) from 80 mph and the car stopped perfectly with my foot stuck to the pedal ensuring the ABS did all the work... tried again with not letting the ABS kick in and again it felt normal. so i dont worry too much :)

I wouldn't feel safe if my pedal went to the floor. Last time it happened to me I was reversing out of my garage in my Lexus and no brakes. Lexus GB sent the master cylinder to Japan for tests but never told what if anything was wrong with it.

I tried again this morning on the way to work and the pedal didn't go to the floor this time, although it wasn't far away. I think it's what Adam said and after I had stopped the pedal then went to the floor cos I kept it down. Being an auto my foot is on the brake more now and I don't release it after stopping.

The brakes have been like this since I got the car and from what I've read on the forum some other owners say the same about them, there is quite abit of pedal travel before anything actually happens and they're not particularly sharp. It must be the way they are, there isn't anything wrong with the actual braking but changing from the Civic to the Accord highlights just how different they are. When I press the Civic brakes the first couple of times it's like I'm doing an emergency stop!

I think I need someone to test them for me and see what they think and whether they're ok or not. The MOT was done a week or 2 before I bought the car and they passed with no advisories.

• 4 weeks later...

It seems this car likes drinking oil and I don't even work it that hard, never redline it!

I hadn't checked it for a while but I did last night when I got home from work and it was just below minimum! I topped it up abit and checked this morning, it was just above minimum so needs abit more added. I think I will have to check it more often now.

I'm going to strip the front brakes next week after our long weekend away and see what they're like. They stop the car fine but I think changing the pads (and possibly the discs) to another brand will make them abit sharper.

When we got back from Norfolk, which is a 150 mile drive I noticed that funny smell again. Found it on one of the rear brakes so I stripped them down yesterday. Although the slider pins weren't seized they were a little stiff even though I regreased them 6 months ago.

The brake pads are fine and were free in the carriers. Both pistons pushed in and out ok although there is a little corrosion on them. The dust cover on the side that had the smell has a pin hole in it as well. I'll keep an eye on them but I hope I don't need a new caliper!!

While I had everything out I thought I'd check the fronts. I wasn't sure what head the bolt had so tried some star shaped ones first. One fitted perfectly but after removing I realised it's actually a hex head! I think someone must have made that mistake before cos the bit fitted perfectly.

I tried a 6mm hex bit and it was too small so tried the 8 and that was to big. Guess what, my toolset doesn't have a 7 so need to buy one! :rolleyes:

I've never experienced a slipping clutch so wouldn't know. It wasn't a burning smell like I had on the Corolla just a hot smell.

I got the bit from Halfords, £4 with lifetime guarantee so will check the fronts next week now.

On our break the car did 28mpg. 30 miles was going to work (5 miles each way), 150 miles to Norfolk mainly motorway and dual carriageways and the car fully loaded, then 80 miles of just driving around locally.

I think it might be the slider pins, they could need replacing. I am using red rubber grease on them and clean all the old stuff off first so if it's not the piston (which is moving freely) I can't think what else it can be.

• 2 weeks later...

I had another look at the rear brake today and I noticed the side with the smell was dragging ever so slightly more than the other wheel. The tourer uses the same setup as the Corolla and uses the disc as a drum for the handbrake. I took the disc off and the inside smelt abit burnt so that's the culprit. Backed it off 2 notches and took it for a drive. I was doing alot of heavy braking and when I got home they were very hot but no burning smell so I will see what it's like with normal use.

I had a look at the front brakes now I have a 7mm hex socket and everything came apart fine but they look abit dodgy to me. The inside face of both discs has a ring of rust, which the pad sits over and they have a groove on them. The outside face looks fine. Using a tape measure the thickness is 23mm but they have a slight lip so probably abit less. Not accurate I know but the minimum thickness should be 23mm and the maximum 25mm. So I'm going replace the brakes and hopefully that will sort the soft pedal/feel out although they do work ok and stop the car well.

WP_20140906_14_24_44_Pro.jpg

WP_20140906_14_26_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20140906_14_25_18_Pro.jpg

WP_20140906_14_26_53_Pro.jpg

I've just checked the MOT history and at 68k miles it got an advisory for low brake pads. A year later at 74k miles it failed on the front pads, which is when they replaced them. There is nothing in the history about the discs ever being replaced so they've done 102k miles?!! :o