Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

Is that going to let air into the system?

No it lets pressure out...... Another test is to pump up the peddle, hold pressure on and then start the car and feel if the peddle drops. This is to check the servo function.

I did that, held the pressure and the pedal dropped slightly about 2 seconds after starting the car. If I pump the pedal a few times before braking to a stop that makes no difference to the feel.

I think my description is probably abit misleading as well. When I slow/come to a stop the pedal doesn't hit the floor. It's after I've stopped, if I hold the pedal down with enough pressure it feels like it's near the floor.

My accord used to do this... Although i really did have to press hard for a prolonged period of time for it to get to the floor.

In normal opperation i never went past half....

Rich.. Drive down the road at 10mph and stomp hard on the brake pedal... It should really firm up then once you have stopped, the pressure should drop and the pedal will soften...

Do it again from 20-30 and it will do the same ... I thought it was a characteristic of the ABS system

I tried that Adam and got the same. The pedal does go harder and doesn't seem to travel further than 1/2-3/4 of the way down. Once stopped it does soften up again. I have no issues with the braking ability, they stop the car very quickly, it's just the feel of the pedal I can't get used to.

I did the above a few times and when I got home the front brakes were smoking so I must've burnt off the new residue now.

I'm sure on Thursday Joe will say they're fine, I think alot of it is me!

This is one of the discs, the other was worn the same. The pedal feel does seem to be improving as well I think, obviously the brakes would feel sharper as they bed in but would that affect the pedal as well?

disc_01.jpg

disc_02.jpg

The lower disc is showing issues with the friction service area, you sure those pads are nice and free.

They're not any more cos they went in the bin! ;)

The pads just slot onto the carrier for the front brakes and I filed the paint off where they sit on it for the new ones then copper greased them. Over the last couple of days I've noticed the pedal has firmed up abit more now, it's still soft for my liking but it feels alot better than what it did with the old brakes.

This is what the pads look like, all my other cars had brake pads that push into the carrier, which I think are more prone to seizing?

brand-new-honda-accord-front-brake-pads-

Sometimes you need to remove some of the black coating so there's not a tight but also not loose fit.

I make sure I do that all the time after forgetting to do it on the Civic once and the pad seized!

I popped over to WIM this afternoon to see Joe. He went for a quick drive and while he agreed the pedal does feel soft the brakes are working fine so I'll just have to get used to it. It does feel alot better than before and I've only done 50 miles on the new brakes so they're still bedding in.

He checked the handbrake as well and the shoes were moving fine. Adjusted both sides for me and on a hill going home it's holding fine on 5 clicks rather than 12! :lol: I still got that smell when I got home though so will keep an eye on it but everything seems to be working fine. I guess as long as the wheel isn't getting hot and there's no smoke I shouldn't worry too much.

• 3 weeks later...

MOT passed on Saturday. No advisories but he said a wishbone bush is looking a little dodgy, which I already know about anyway, I have a replacement ready for when it does need doing. Not sure if I can get this in without a press though, I think I might have a job hammering it in.

The handbrake seems to be sorted now and I've not smelt anything for over a week :)