Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

Ever since I got the tender for the Ferrari (which stays plugged in all the time) - every so often (approx every 6 months) I take the battery off the Lexus and plug it in to bring it back to good health.

It's made a massive difference, I'd recommend doing the same, you wouldn't need to do it that often for a car that's used quite regularly.

My battery charger has a trickle and fast mode, would that be the same?

Anyway, I don't think it is the battery now and sounds more like the starter, maybe it's missing a tooth or they're damaged.

It looks easy enough to remove and there is one on ebay for £35 delivered but I assume the only way to check it is to remove and I don't want to do that without a replacement to hand.

The battery chargers don't do the same as a tender, the tenders actually revive batteries by going through various cycles. I use one of these: http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

From the description above though I'd agree it doesn't sound like the battery.

I might get one of those once this is sorted, the Accord will probably benefit from it as well with the short trips I do.

Not a bad price - http://www.amazon.co.uk/CTEK-Battery-Automatic-Temperature-Compensation/dp/B00FC42HAA

Can this be used as a normal charger as well? What I don't understand is how it's so small, when my charger is the size of a battery!

It's really worthwhile, as it doesn't just keep the battery topped up but also keeps it in good health making it last a lot longer. It can charge a battery, but it will take a lot longer to do it. When I accidentally ran the Ferrari flat (forgot to plug in!) it took about 2 days to get it back up to starting level - the charger would have done it a lot faster but not as healthy for the battery.

Also I'm guessing your charger is also a starter? That's what mine is as well which is why it's so big and heavy - it's basically a battery itself!

It's really worthwhile, as it doesn't just keep the battery topped up but also keeps it in good health making it last a lot longer. It can charge a battery, but it will take a lot longer to do it. When I accidentally ran the Ferrari flat (forgot to plug in!) it took about 2 days to get it back up to starting level - the charger would have done it a lot faster but not as healthy for the battery.

Also I'm guessing your charger is also a starter? That's what mine is as well which is why it's so big and heavy - it's basically a battery itself!

Two days to condition it doesn't sound too bad, a weekend job though.

No mine isn't a starter just a charger but it doesn't take long on a fast charge!

Starter motors can stick if the battery is low so check that first and the earths etc

I didn't know that, I'll check it as well though and charge it overnight anyway on a trickle charge.

The 2 or 3 times she's started the car since it's been fine, starts first time with no noises.

Apparently she did say to me ages ago that it sometimes makes a funny noise when she starts it but I definitely don't remember that!!!  :rolleyes:

Sounds like the starter needs to come off and clean the workings. There are two types, one was the bendix that throws the cog as it spins at speed the other is pre-engaged where a solenoid on the starter moves the cog forwards to engage before it spins. Usually a removal strip down, clean will solve the problem you have.

Do you mean strip the actual starter itself down to clean or just remove/clean where you can and what do you clean them with? Being an electrical item I assume contact cleaner?

The used one on ebay is £35, ones from breakers are quoting £40-90 and a new pattern one is well over £100. If I'm going to remove it and find the teeth are chewed I've got to put it back together again while I wait for a replacement though so doing the job twice.

Mind you once that air box is out of the way it's not too difficult to remove, just 2 cables and 2 bolts.

I'll try a low mileage used part first, assuming it is the starter motor.

I'll test the battery and clean the grounds up before I buy one though. I use vaseline on the battery terminals, is this ok for the grounds?

The missus got back from picking Josh up from school half hour ago, which must be a 20 mile round trip.

The engine was still warm but the battery is reading 13.6v, which must be fully charged. I think the extra 1v is from where the car hasn't long been used? Not checked it under load but should be ok.

I can't get to the starter motor or grounds unless I remove the box so will do that the weekend.

Rich put a link up to the motor and I'll give my opinion if it can be cleaned without stripping. It's only the mechanics you clean and maybe put in new brushes if it look's like they are needed. So you clean it with petrol or degreaser ensuring it doesn't go on the motor part, what you are trying to do is make sure everything moves freely - that's all.

The car wasn't used yesterday but started as soon as the key was turned this morning. It's almost certainly not battery related. I think the starter motor failed to engage properly the other day but it's why it happened I need to find out. No point replacing it and the wiring was at fault.

I need to get the part number off it as well, what's the betting it's underneath!

The car has still been fine since it happened. I've not had the chance to get to the starter motor yet but I'm not sure whether to replace it now or not.

The adjusters on the headlights also haven't worked for a couple of years now but for some reason I tried them last night and they actually moved. After testing it a few times, they're manual so adjusted with a switch they stopped working again. Any ideas what could be causing this - sticky relay (if they use one) or motor maybe?

• 1 month later...

So the missus just got home and says there's something wrong with the car. She was accelerating but it didn't really move and when lifting off the car almost stopped, plus the handbrake lever is floppy. Apparently it went floppy the other day but only once and then it was ok.

So I'm thinking it's the cables or the other caliper, I replaced one a year or so ago. The car has 115k+ miles so the cables are probably corroded inside. That's another job for the weekend, as if I didn't have enough to do!

From what she described it seems to be that way. Difficult to pull away and there's also a smell when getting out of the car so seems like the brakes are binding alot. Going to look tomorrow, got the decorating to finish!

Yep not the best time to happen! She left the local shops, which are at the start of a hill and noticed the revs were too high for the speed she was doing when going up it. When she turned into our road at the top and released the throttle the car almost stopped and she just managed to get it on the drive. There are big drag marks in the gravel where the wheels weren't turning!

I started it up earlier and the handbrake was floppy but pumped it a few times, then drove the car back and forth. It seemed to be ok and the handbrake went back to normal.

Smelling around the wheels the side with the new caliper smelt iffy but the other side seemed ok. I'll take a proper look tomorrow but I'm suspecting the cables. Not too expensive but a pain to change.