Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

Reads like you are well on top of things Rich..... Knocking noise's can be a concern but don't forget there's a large void between worn and worn out.

Look after the car, it shall look after you - that's how it should work anyway! :)

Sometimes it's a knocking, I notice that more when reversing so it could be a rear droplink or bush. The front is more of a squeaking noise so I think it's a dry bush somewhere. I need to investigate it further, how would you test the top mounts, press down on each corner?

• 2 months later...

I need to find the source of this knocking noise now, SWMBO said it's getting worse! I would like to think that after 2 years the wishbones and drop links are still ok but I'll check them. If seems to be coming from the NSF and when she steers it knocks but isn't too bad in a straight line until someone sits in the passenger seat. I don't think it's CV joint related, that would be a clicking noise and this has been going on for quite a while now, I'm sure a CV joint would've died by now.

So I'm thinking it's TRE, ARB bushes or the top mounts. I know how to test the first 2 but what about the mounts, how are those usually checked?

Edit - Something else I just thought off. Although I replaced the wishbones the ball joints on these cars are in the knuckle and I'd imagine these are still the original ones.

Looks like the bearing is going so that's got to be replaced and the ball joint will be done at the same time. I'm doing abit of searching to find something decent and I've come across FAG, SNR and SKF - all around the £40 mark, which is better than £155 from Honda! Anyone used these brands?

The ball joint Honda don't sell separately so I'm looking at getting a Meyle one. I got some of their drop links for the Accord and they look/feel really good. Not had any issues so far.

Joe did a great job of fitting the parts today. Glad I didn't try myself, would've been a PITA without the right tools. Did a geo afterwards and the car drives smoother now.

WP_20140626_12_11_55_Pro.jpg

I washed the car this morning before going to WIM and saw a screw near the sidewall of a rear tyre. Luckily there isn't much tread left but it would've lasted until the winter wheels go on. Got the spare out to find it's actually a brand new tyre so that's on for now. Its a steel wheel though so doesn't match the others.

WP_20140626_002.jpg

Joe noticed that one of the front drop links has abit of play in it, which might be causing the knocking noise. The only thing is on the way home I got stuck in traffic and when accelerating slowly or braking there is a dull knock from under my left foot, where the foot rest is. I've never felt any knocking on the passenger side though. I'll change the links but I think the engine mounts and inner cv joints might need checking?

Joe said they wouldn't repair it, too close to the sidewall. There is no more than 2-3mm of tread left but it would've done until October. A new tyre is £64 fitted but I'd need to get 2 really. Paid out for insurance and the cost of the bearing, ball joint and labour today so could do without buying new tyres ATM :(

What you saved on your insurance you could buy 4 new ones! :D

Didn't realise it had a full size spare. My old type R was a space saver if I remember. Can you not move the spare tyre onto the alloy until winter?

That would be a standard plug repair. A vulcanised repair is more involved and can be repaired in this area, but it costs more.

I'm not sure if they do those there but I'd imagine he didn't think it was worth it given what the tyre is worth.

What you saved on your insurance you could buy 4 new ones! :D

Didn't realise it had a full size spare. My old type R was a space saver if I remember. Can you not move the spare tyre onto the alloy until winter?

That's true! :lol:

I'm not sure if it came as standard or was an optional extra but it's still got the residue on the tyre from where the label was. It's the same size as the other tyres just looks abit odd on a steelie but I don't think it's worth the aggro of swapping them over for a few months. I think finding the source of this knocking is more important first, just in case it's going to be an expensive repair. Hopefully it is the drop links but I've got this feeling it might be something else.

Yeah these racks aren't great but I don't think it's that, no knocks when steering and it's under my foot I can feel it, pretty sure the racks are mounted high up. Most problems were on the Type R with it having larger 17" wheels, which put more strain on the rack.

I had a quick look under the car yesterday and I noticed where the foot plate is, it's directly above the ARB bush. Now Joe said these were fine and I couldn't get the bar to move either. As I said before it's only a dull knock at low speed when braking/accelerating but I can feel it under my left foot.

It's not loud like you get from knackered drop links or wishbone bushes but these usually only knock when going over bumps, not on flat straight roads. It seems the noise doesn't happen all the time so is it just a coincidence I can feel it above the ARB bush or could this be at fault?

New ones are cheap enough so I'm wondering whether to replace them anyway when I do the drop links.

I changed the drop links yesterday, I really like these Meyle ones, they're so chunky! It took me an hour to replace them including getting the tools out, the old ones came off easily. They weren't in too bad condition TBH, the loose balljoint that Joe spotted was down to a split boot and it being dry.

While these were off I checked the ARB again and I couldn't get it to budge so they're fine. The knock that could be felt under your foot seems to have gone but it didn't happen all the time so I'll keep an eye on it. The cheap wishbones I fitted 2 years ago seem to be holding up well, which is a surprise seeing how many the Mondeo got through!

Hopefully the car is ok for the MOT now :)

WP_20140703_09_28_24_Pro.jpg

WP_20140703_09_39_18_Pro.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

The missus has been moaning about a noise since the bearing was done, sounds like metal rubbing and it was just the backing plate for the disc so bent it out the way. I noticed that the wheel is really hard to spin with the car in neutral. I took the brakes off to check and it was the same. Is this normal with a new bearing or should it spin freely?