Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

Think that's about all you can do. Some filters have a place to put a wrench on, these help a bit so you can keep your hands away from the filter a bit. You could get a filter wrench too, that might help a little. But TBH a rag should do the trick I would have thought =)

I have a chain to loosen them if needed, most of the time they undo by hand. Don't think I've got any choice but get messy....it's at times like this I could do with 2 poster ramp and a garage! :lol:

I have a chain to loosen them if needed, most of the time they undo by hand. Don't think I've got any choice but get messy....it's at times like this I could do with 2 poster ramp and a garage! :lol:

Haha I know the feeling, shame neither of us has £15k to build a little garage and a used 2 post. My family stateside is considering building a shop on the farm with one of these in... but that's a bit far away....

I bet it wouldn't cost much over there to build as well! I long for the day I can have a house with just a driveway, that would do me :)

Think they budget was $60k for a full working shop, we have most of the tools, just need the building and ramp really, at the moment the tools are in many buildings, including the cnc lath in the garage =( With the poor crop yeild this year the project is on hold. Normally they would get 20 wagonloads of corn off the field they just finished, they managed 2 wagons this year...

I know how you feel about a house and drive, it's a bit cramped in the UK and land prices are expensive. Part of me says that it's not important, and being with friends/family is. But at the same time I feel that I shouldn't have to compromise on having 'my stuff' like a decent house/land to live in. Bit torn really, I think there are valid arguments to go both ways.

How times have changed. We bought our first "built for us" house in 1958. I couldn't afford a garage in the initial build but I left room for a single garage at the side of the house and included the drive in the initial build. Later I built the garage myself. It was less than double length but with plenty of space for a workshop at the rear. I put in a full length RSJ carrying a manual lifting block and tackle and a full length, board covered pit so I could get under the car to do lubrication etc. Brick built, with a corrugated fibre-glass roof including transparent panels for light, fluorescent lighting, plenty of power points, water and drainage. The whole job cost just under £220 (and a lot of hard labour). I always did my own servicing in those days and cars were a lot less reliable than now, but I think easier to understand and service. These were the days when you could lift the bonnet and see the ground through the engine compartment . . :)

I suppose the biggest job I ever did in that garage was to change an almost broken crankshaft on a Ford Zephyr, but I did restore the gearbox at the same time.

Nowadays I see people converting their garages into extra living space, or stuffing them with all sorts of junk while leaving the car in the street. It's easy to forget that those who have a real interest in cars as cars are a tiny proportion of the car owning population. Recently a friend said he was having trouble starting the car. I asked if he had checked the battery and he said "what battery"? The mind boggles.

Sounds like heaven for the home mechanic, better than having to borrow someone's drive and then it rains mid job! :lol:

A family friend of the in-laws had a pit in their driveway that they used years ago for working on their cars, must've been very handy for getting underneath.

They never used it when I knew them, the son has moved away now after his dad died and the new owners filled the pit in.

I've been thinking of changing the auto box oil, will have to check when it was last done and how often it needs doing. But I just looked at how much I need and it's 6 litres, that's going to cost me £50-£60!!! :o Why do they use so much?

Link

This is part of the reason. Partly as well is the transmission requires hydraulic pressures to shift, and when to shift. I don't know too much about them, never had one apart. I would suspect that some new cars use a servo to shift and algorithms in a PCM to decide shifts instead of hydraulic pressures, but donno, only ever really worked on manuals.

Interesting read :) Think I'll check when it was last done, I'm pretty sure the last owner did it but it was probably 30-40k miles ago. There is no issues with the auto box so I might leave it for now.

Didn't think of that.........

You going senile already?! :huh:

In the trucks stateside they would run a transmission oil temp gauge, normally about the same temps as engine temps. If you tried to pull something and forget to put the truck into 'pulling mode' you could overheat the transmission in no time as you downshift and upshift just cruising :thumbsdown_anim:

Had a look at the history and the first change should be at 72k miles, it was done at 69k and then every 48k miles after that. So it's due for a change in 10-12k miles. I'm not sure what oil to use though but the handbook obviously suggests to use Honda's own one but it looks like the previous owner used a different one and it seems fine. I need 6 litres and don't really want to pay over £50 for it, any suggestions on where else I might be able to get it from?

• 1 month later...

Fitted a new battery, spark plugs and cleaned the throttle body. The car starts better now and the throttle not sticking anymore.

When fitting the battery I needed to adjust the height of the clamp but it was so rusty that it just snapped in half! Halfords do one and their website showed my local one has them in stock, went down there and they've got none!! So before I go to Watford is there anywhere online I can get one? It's the metal rod that's threaded at the top that I need - http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_225569_langId_-1_categoryId_255205

Cheapest I can find for the same one on ebay is £5 but looking at the measurements I think the rods might be too long at 385mm. The Civic one from the J to the top is around 195mm - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DURITE-0-087-75-HEAVY-DUTY-BATTERY-HOLD-DOWN-CLAMP-2-BOLT-/290786562973?pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item43b43ad39d

Yes I thought of that but the threaded part isn't long enough looking at the measurements. Think I will have to get one from a breakers.

Liner, that's the same one that halfords do and according to the measurements on eBay it's too long. I'll have to take the one that snapped down to Watford and check them against eachother.

• 1 month later...

There has been a knocking/vibrating noise coming from underneath the car this week so I had a look today seeing that it was nice. The top half of the heat shield around the CAT had rusted through where it's mounted on 2 of the bolts, the bottom half was removed when we bought the car as it was doing the same thing. I forgot to take my dremel with me but I managed to break it off although it was awkward as I couldn't get the car high enough really. Is it going to be ok with no heat shield at all?

While I had everything out I did the oil change as well and didn't make that much mess when removing the filter this time as I used an old towel to wrap around it.

With the battery J bolt I bought some threaded bar and a couple of nuts to make my own. I have bent it into shape although had to be careful as it kept snapping and I'm hoping to fit that tomorrow.

Looks like another shield of some kind that's bolted on. All the bolts are rusty and rounded so I wouldn't be able to bolt a new one on, I'd need to replace the whole CAT. The CAT is probably under where the handbrake is so I guess the shield could be there to help prevent a fire. It was Tony who removed the bottom part of the shield and he said it would be fine without it but with nothing at the top I'm not so sure. I'm not sure how I could get the top half back on though, I could strap it on but really need the bottom half for that.