The wim Lotus blog

Tony

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On a private road today i pushed my limit...... Arse went at 146/ 150 ish mph on a distance of around 1.5 miles.... Hitting 7k rpm of the available 9k ( no red limit ) in 5th gear.

In truth the visible change from 70mph to 150mph was nearly indiscernible other than the yaw became very reactive, handling was fine albeit light on the steering feel.

This is the fastest i traveled and i think the fastest i ever want to go, but you have to experience it once in your life..... so i did.

I may have suggested this before, but get yourself on a car limits day. you won't be hammering speedwise, but you will take the handling to the limit, and beyond, all in complete safety.

Plus it's a good laugh!

h

And get some winter tyres, I bet that would help alot.

Once the ice hits.... The Lotus goes to bed...... I showed off today in the damp and the backend was all over the place, i need to be wise when it comes to winter.

And get some winter tyres, I bet that would help alot.

Once the ice hits.... The Lotus goes to bed...... I showed off today in the damp and the backend was all over the place, i need to be wise when it comes to winter.

Could you fit traction control or would that not help much?

I may have suggested this before, but get yourself on a car limits day. you won't be hammering speedwise, but you will take the handling to the limit, and beyond, all in complete safety.

Plus it's a good laugh!

h

I agree with HMS...Think yourself lucky with some kind of weight over the rear wheels. Mine has nowt and in the winter is scary as hell.

How about a WIM airfield day!? I could organize it. Done 6 in the past with www.carlimits.com Andy is a very knowledgeable chap.

Get 15-20 cars and it will work out to approx £50 a car? Worth investigating? ;)

Plus it's a good laugh!

h

I agree with HMS...Think yourself lucky with some kind of weight over the rear wheels. Mine has nowt and in the winter is scary as hell.

How about a WIM airfield day!? I could organize it. Done 6 in the past with www.carlimits.com Andy is a very knowledgeable chap.

Get 15-20 cars and it will work out to approx £50 a car? Worth investigating? ;)

Interesting....... Summer time obviously.

Not necessarily.

Lotus on Track ran one yesterday at North Weald. (By juction 8 of the M11 so reasonably close.)

Plus if it's wet, you loose traction easier and don't the tyrewear you get on a dry day. Airport runways have a very abrasive surface!

h

Not necessarily.

Lotus on Track ran one yesterday at North Weald. (By juction 8 of the M11 so reasonably close.)

Plus if it's wet, you loose traction easier and don't the tyrewear you get on a dry day. Airport runways have a very abrasive surface!

h

and NW is bloomin' bumpy in places, isn't it?!

It's only bumpy is you do the MSA sprint track, where they have a kink as you go over the centre of the runway and drains. Seen a couple of cars spin there whilst sprinting.

Have a look here for the Lotus on Track circuit guide for North Weald.

http://www.lotus-on-track.com/circuit_guide/north_weald.html

Doesn't show the high speed bend though!

h

It's only bumpy is you do the MSA sprint track, where they have a kink as you go over the centre of the runway and drains. Seen a couple of cars spin there whilst sprinting.

Have a look here for the Lotus on Track circuit guide for North Weald.

http://www.lotus-on-track.com/circuit_guide/north_weald.html

Doesn't show the high speed bend though!

h

LOL - I like that. The returning high speed left onto the main runway is definitely a challenge - certainly shows up an ill-handling car. Got into an almighty tankslapper there in my soggy 5 a while back, but JUST managed to collect it before having to jump in the anchors for the next hairpin left.

You're quite right of course and when we run our autosolos on the main runway where LOT play the bumps aren't so apparent.

• 2 weeks later...

Dark, rain, country lanes this car is a killer... As said before you are so low all you see is a face full of oncoming headlights, the windscreen attitude simply "whites out", by the time your eyes adapt you've lost the road.

Coming home tonight was simply scary, drivers behind are getting p**sed off so i've got their lights reflected in my face, yes i can flip the mirror but there's a real glass issue with the car? This being as you turn/ corner in the dark with lights beaming from behind it reflects around the satellite glass as if there's a car coming from the side, a "ghost car".

A friend of mine has recently acquired this, err, distinctive beast. (the one on the right that is, the Elan he's had forever). Apparently he took it out the other day and found it "interesting". Very hard to drive smoothly he says with the turbo lag being the biggest problem.

post-1-51371-100_3706.JPG

On a private road this morning i thought i would push the little lady, i had about a mile of straight dry road so i gunned it...... Hit the mile at around 70mph and finished at 150mph....... bloody hell things go passed real fast at that speed, the ash on me fag even fell off.

I don't think she had much more, if anything in her but at the speed i didn't want to find out, officially the top speed is 166mph.