Check you driving license

Got home earlier today and there was a letter from the DVLA, opened it up and it was a reminder to renew my driving license :lol: apparently they now only last for 10 yrs and they relive you of £20 to get a new one....when did this happen. Another stealth tax thats come in from the back door though its not the money that bothers me its the principle and has this been mentioned/advertised anywhere?

Poxy Government. soapbox.gif

Think my paper one lasts until I'm 70 :D Glad I have kept it in one piece :)

I thought they were compulsory now?

I went from a paper one to photo one when I passed my test in '97. Then I changed it when I moved which didn't cost me anything but it expires 12/11 so I will have to cough up next year! Robbing gits! :angry:

cant check mine its at dvla i guess awitin postal..has been for 4 years apparently thing is if thay send it back no doubt il have to hand it back within a week....all the time there messin about with it and workin out what should and shouldnt be on it i behave my self :) cough cough...was there any need for you to turn into that road sideways???? said the kind officer.....over braked on the ice and snow...sorry officer!!!!!! will try be more carfull but it is slippery isnt it??? i replied.... that will teach me for drivin to the shops at next road :) thought i was gunna be there for a hour again tonight......de-ja-vou tony :D

• 1 year later...
apparently they now only last for 10 yrs and they relive you of £20 to get a new one

Only three years if you are as ancient as I am - and access to your medical data - but no charge for an ordinary car/motor cycle license . . . . . :lol:

Chaps... you may know this by now but when you renew your licence ... take a photocopy / picture of both sides of the card AND paper part BEFORE you cut them up and send them back!

There has been an ongoing issue where for certain things like bike licences, HGV, other works vehicles etc that the DVLA have removed them from their licence!

Good advice , my mate lost his HGV entitlement , took a lot of battling to get it back

As for photocards , you can kind of see their point i know i look a fair bit different now than I did 10 years ago (married life has aged me :lol:) any system that requires a photo id will require renewing on a regular basis

I'm on my second photo-card license got my first in 2000 when done HGV. Had to renew last year, and Digital Tachograph as well as passport :lol: £££

The company i work for pay for all the drivers digi tacho cards and medicals.

Paper licences are fine, only thing is they won't give you another but the one you have is fine.

As above I think the 10 year renewal is because the photo needs changing, and I guess you have to pay for the related admin so the £20 charge doesn't bother me that much.

Surely the far higher charge to renew your passport is more of a concern when it is essentially the same process, just more expensive :lol:

As for photocards , you can kind of see their point i know i look a fair bit different now than I did 10 years ago (married life has aged me ;)) any system that requires a photo id will require renewing on a regular basis

What annoys me is the photo machines. I only need 1 photo but I have to buy 5, what am I suppose to do with the other 4!! :lol:

Surely the far higher charge to renew your passport is more of a concern when it is essentially the same process, just more expensive :censored:

Mine expired last year and when I saw the cost of renewing I didn't bother. Doubt I'll be going abroad for quite some time anyway!

What annoys me is the photo machines. I only need 1 photo but I have to buy 5, what am I suppose to do with the other 4!! :lol:

Haven't used photo machines in years, do you have a photo printer? I print my own passport photos and have done for ages, not sure if it's cheaper but it's definitely more convenient! :censored:

Do they accept home printed photos, I thought they didn't? I was going to get some printed at Asda/Tesco instead but I've left it too late and my license expires next week so I had no choice but to get them done. I could've gone to the post office and they take your photo but the nearest one is Watford so by the time I've paid petrol and car park fees to get there I might as well just go up the road and use the machine.

Whats wrong with having 2 pics and the others with your family thats what i do plus i can see how the other half has aged over a 10yr period :censored:

I have a paper one and I knew about the 10 year charge thing, so I made sure I moved house 4 weeks before the new ones became compulsory.

<chuffed>

still it's hard to see a proper justification aside from people getting older, and other people (children for instance) using elses someones license - whicj a photo card only helps with people look at it.

ttfn

Do they accept home printed photos, I thought they didn't?

I've used printed photos for absolutely everything for several years, for all sorts of official documentation and haven't had any problems.

To be fair I doubt most people can tell the difference between the two anyway if you are using a decent printer and proper photo paper. The added bonus is the photos look much better :lol:

I'll probably do that, sod paying a fiver again, I have photo paper but they use a lot of ink doing it yourself so just get them printed now. Do you take the photo against a white sheet?

Pete, can't do that as it takes 1 photo and duplicates it 5 times.

I'm on my second photo-card license got my first in 2000 when done HGV. Had to renew last year, and Digital Tachograph as well as passport :censored: £££

The company i work for pay for all the drivers digi tacho cards and medicals.

My lot dont pay for anything :lol: