Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

I'm not sure, they're fairly small so couldn't see all the way through, I should've tried squirting so water down them. I'll fish them out of the bag and have a look later.

• 2 weeks later...

Autoglass are here, windscreen being replaced now :)

Brakes have been fine so far so fingers crossed they are hassle free from now on. The pedal also seems to have firmed up a little.

I washed it the other day and the paintwork is a mess, there are so many swirls, scratches and bird crap etchings. I need to get the rotary out this year. My headlights also need wet sanding.

I also have rust on one of the rear arch lips, it's wavey and a small hole has developed. It's a common problem from what I've read so I might leave it and then get someone to sort it when it's worse or try myself like I did with the Mondeo. There are also a few rusty stone chips I need to touch up.

I can't believe the difference a scratch free windscreen makes to night driving, it was like there was no glass it was that clear.

I applied G1 as well yesterday, I thought it was the best time while it's new and would mean I don't have to clay or polish it. It's raining today so will try it later.

I found a hairline scratch on the top passenger side, it could've already been there though as the wipers haven't been used yet.

The guy had also left a mess on the roof and tops of the doors. I always clean the car before we go away and it's filthy now. Normally I bring some ONR with me but didn't this time! :rolleyes:

• 4 weeks later...

Well the windscreen has been trouble free so far but I've noticed on the roof in the middle right next to the screen is a dent! I'm fairly sure it wasn't there before and the printout the technician gave me didn't highlight any damage in that area.

How do they remove the old screen I didn't watch the whole process, do they use any pressure/lever it off?

• 2 months later...

Airbag recall was done today, got the usual dealer spiel about brakes/tyres need changing soon even with 50% left! But he did say it's been well looked after :)

I need to get this compliance bush replaced soon, the steering is starting to feel a little sloppy.

I don't have the tool to press the new bush in (which I have already) so will have to make one, buy it or see if someone will press it in for me. It's easy enough to remove the arm, 3 bolts, undo drop link and knock it off the ball joint.

I checked the tyres yesterday and they have even wear but I don't think it's going to be a problem with these Vred's, they're wearing so quickly I don't have much left tread on them! :(

Ideally I wanted it changed before we go away in 2 weeks time but probably won't have the time to do it before then.

Would changing the bush affect the geo much, although it'll still need checking?

If I get a quote from Joe do you reckon it's an hours labour? It'll probably be fine though for when we go away but we'll do around 500 miles and the bush will only continue to separate from the arm making the handling worse.

• 1 month later...

So I seem to have got the hot brake smell back on the rear again! :(

I've noticed it the last couple of weeks and I'm thinking it's either from where I'm not using it as much or it's the change in the weather with it being more damp and cold. When we went away in August for just over 2 weeks I didn't notice any smell at all but apart from Monday and yesterday it's not been used much.

I changed the calipers, slider pins and hoses 6 months ago and have had no issues since then. I don't think it's these cos the discs aren't red and there is no smoke. Also it only seems to happen after driving at motorway speed, going to work is fine. I'm going to keep an eye on it for the moment.

I also noticed when I started the car up on Sunday to swap it over with the MX5 that all the dash lights came on as I turned the key, like they do when the battery is flat! It started fine but I have a feeling sitting there for a week hasn't done it any good, so will probably need one of those solar battery conditioners to keep it charged. It obviously won't be a problem over the winter as the MX5 will be off the road.

I've also got a knocking coming from the rear so that's another thing to look at. Does it ever stop!!  :rolleyes:

Have you tried spinning the wheels when they are hot if only to see if there is a bind.

I'll be doing that once I get a moment, going away on Friday in the MX5 so spending tomorrow looking at the rear brakes on that first. If I get time I'll take it for a run then jack it up and see.

Could it be the handbrake that is sticking when not used?

I have a feeling it's the handbrake cable(s), seems a coincidence that it's not been used much over the last 3 weeks and now I'm getting this smell back. It's either that or the springs/mechanism for the shoes.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought I'd look at what this smell is today and have made the handbrake worse instead, I knew I would! The pads are fine, not jammed and the slider pins, caliper and hose are all 6 months old and seem ok. The shoes move when the handbrake is applied, the right (closest to front) one more than the other, is that normal?

After a drive when I got back home the smell was still there. When I took everything apart I couldn't smell it though so really confused! I didn't try turning the piston but at 6 months old I would assume it's ok.

I'm not sure if it is handbrake related now. I'll up the clicks for the adjuster again so it holds better. Should the adjusters each side have roughly the same number of clicks?

Can the exhaust make a strong heat smell? I have checked around it and can't see anything stuck to it.

While I had the car in the air I had a look for this knocking noise I've started getting. I could push and pull the ARB a little so I think the bushes are gone. Do I need to undo the drop links when replacing them? They are pretty rusty and I think they'd get damaged when undoing them.

• 3 weeks later...

I used the car on Saturday, first time in 2 weeks and did about 20 miles. When I got home the smell was still there and I don't think it's the handbrake shoes or cable now, the hub and wheel were only a little warm. The smell seemed strongest around the caliper but there was no sign of it when I stripped them down to check everything before.

I have got some genuine pads to fit now, I didn't change these when I did the calipers and hoses but even though they're moving ok in the carrier could it still be the pads at fault? I have a horrible feeling it's the piston sticking, even though the caliper is only 6 months old, but I'll know for sure when I fit the new pads and have to push them back in.