Honda Civic 1.6. SE Executive Auto

Rich

The problem is if you start getting too many issues which you can't find a straight forward solution for you lose faith in the car and don't trust it any more. I had that with the Mondeo and the electrical problems, then it nearly caught fire!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

So 6 weeks after the stalling issue it did it again tonight. The car started first time and we went to the shops then the in-laws. Went to leave there 2 hours later and it kept stalling. The fuel light had just come on but holding the revs until the engine was warm stopped it from stalling. All the crap was coming out the back again and it stunk.

The missus had filled up with shell but normally uses esso as the car does alot more mpg. I went down to esso and put some in and it started first time.

Last time this happened she had used esso fuel but the time before it was shell. I'm thinking either the shell garage fuel/tanks are dirty or the car doesn't like the fuel. I've told her if the esso is closed then use bp instead. Just seems a coincidence this happened again so soon after putting shell fuel in.

That's bizarre if actually related to the fuel - what was coming out of the back? Smoke?

It was dark and p**sing it down so I'm not entirely sure but the missus said it looked like something was coming out.

So this happened when the car was low on fuel ? Was this the case last time ?

The car was low on fuel when we left home though, went to the shops (1/4 mile away) then back up the road, 2 hours later it kept stalling.

When it happened before a 1/3 of a tank of fuel had been put in (Esso), a few miles had been done and then it kept stalling a day or two later but I'm sure what was left from Shell would've still been in there.

The car started first time this morning and didn't stall!  :blink:

It could be contaminated fuel , there is no way it would run that badly just because it's a different brand , I'd run it low and then drain the rest out

What I found strange last night was when the fuel light comes on it's usually sitting just above the minimum line but it was just under it instead, even though it had only just come on. Unless holding the revs for 5 minutes to warm the engine has used alot of fuel, there is around 7 litres left when the light is on so enough for 40 miles easily.

If the fuel from 6 weeks ago was contaminated wouldn't that have all cleared by now, maybe it's the additives they put in it? When you add petrol to what's already in the tank it mixes together doesn't it?

Depends on what it's contaminated with , something could be floating on the top of the petrol . If it's smoking with a lot of crap,coming out of the back it's burning something .

Have you got a proper filler cap ?

There's a thought but would could be floating on the top that can pass through the fuel system and engine? It was definitely smoking last night according to the missus, she was standing behind it but once it stayed running it stopped.

Yes it has the original filler cap.

I put injector cleaner in it after last time, would a proper fuel cleaner be worth a try or is it the same thing?

Maybe the fuel strainer could do with being changed even though it's supposed to last the life of the car.

What's the best way to drain it as it looks like the hoses are higher than the lowest part of the tank, remove it?

http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection_pfk.php?block_01=17S6A01&block_02=B__0300&block_03=15949

I'll look in the Haynes later it might say in there.

• 2 weeks later...

The missus just phone, car keeps stalling!!!

She tried holding the revs to warm it up but it won't even tick over now just cuts out.

The AA will be with her within an hour so they can hopefully point me in the right direction.