Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

waterproofing/corrosion prevention

Just cut a piece of tin can into a strip and fold it around the post , thats perfectly acceptable , its a Honda Accord not an Airbus A380 !

yes it does sound a bit noisy , like a noisy idler , it might get worse or might quiet down with more use

Maybe I'm overthinking it! :lol: I was just wondering on the long term effects of using something like that though on both the battery and starting system.

Why do these always happen when the weather turns crappy! Although it shouldn't be too difficult to replace the idler pulley if it's that. The belt was changed 2.5 years a go so I don't think it'll be that, plus it's not really a squealing noise.

Maybe disconnect the belt and listen to it.

Yeah I'll have to, if it's going then there should be play or a noise when I spin it.

I cut a ring of copper, opened it up to flatten in the vice then bent it to shape, it fit around 3/4 of the post but I couldn't get the clamp over it. In the end I had to cut it down so it just covered 1/4 of the post, then I could get the clamp done up tightly. So far I've not had any starting issues so fingers crossed it stays that way.

The noise is likely to be the idler pulley, apparently it is common for going on this car. It doesn't sound that loud when cold, only when the engine has warmed up. If I turn the aircon on then the noise gets even louder, obviously with the extra load being put through it. I'm going to remove the belt tonight and check it for play before ordering a new one. If I spin it I assume it should be smooth with no rough spots?

If it makes any noise when spinning its shot , if money is tight at the moment sometimes a squirt with some lithium grease will quiet it for a while but I would replace the belt and pulley personally anyhow , its noisy enough to hear on a video its pretty shot

Thanks. I'm hoping to get home before it's dark and take the belt off to check it, I'll check all of them while I'm doing it. A new idler from Honda is £48, a reseller of genuine parts is £40, so only £5-£10 more than a pattern part.

Even though the belt is only 2.5 years old you'd still change it?

Yours was a diesel though Adam, mines a petrol and already runs the same route as the revised diesel one.

I took the belt off and spun the idler pulley, it was quiet with no play but spins freely with no resistance. I've read conflicting info about this but the jist of it seems that this isn't right and it should stop moving when you let go.

The PS pump and alternator pulleys have resistance and I can't really get to the aircon compressor.

When I got to work earlier the noise was still there but it wasn't as loud, so disturbing the belt has done something. I'm not sure what to do now, I don't want to start replacing parts but how else can I pinpoint what pulley it is?

Yes I span the power steering pump and alternator, both had resistant but seemed to turn smoothly and no play that I could feel. I couldn't really reach the aircon compressor, I'd probably have to remove the alternator first but someone did mention the noise sounds similar to theirs before it seized!

I could replace the idler and belt and see if that works but if it's not that could whatever pulley is noisy damage the new parts?

It's probably been like this for a while, I just haven't noticed.

That's the idler pulley on the left, once the belt is off it's one bolt to remove it so I might do that and take a closer look. Could I use a smear of grease on the outside of the pulley but the part that's under the cover? Obviously not where the belt sits! If it quietens down then it must be that.

I've got the MOT booked for Thursday, is a noisy fan belt a fail or advisory? I assume the latter.

I took a photo of the idler pulley last night, I noticed part of it has gone a different colour. Could this be a sign that it's the culprit?

WP_20161031_21_10_47_Pro.jpg

It's more the noise I was concerned with but even if they pick up on it I'd imagine it's just an advisory.

This is the diagram for the idler pulley (no.4) or the whole thing with tensioner (no.3) - http://www.lingshondaparts.com/honda_car_parts_selection.php?block_01=17SED01&block_02=E__0600&block_03=443&block_05=hcr

E__0600.jpg

There's no way I'm paying £176 for a Honda one but I have found these parts - http://www.buycarparts.co.uk/oen/31170pna023

The gates one seems like a good buy, not really heard of the other brands apart from Febi and Blueprint.