Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

Been for another drive today and the smell is still there, plus I can feel heat coming from the area.

I can keep my finger on the hub, it's only warm. The other side is actually hotter but there is no smell. It can't be the handbrake shoes.

It has new pads that move freely and the carrier is clean, so can't be that.

The piston is moving freely and this and the flexi hose is 6-7 months old. Also new slider pins that are moving freely.

I can only see it being this guard now but would rust on rust cause heat and a smell? I think I had better grind it all off and cut that section out, at least I will know then if it's that causing it.

To top it off I think the exhaust heat shield has started rattling, it's around the front door area underneath when the car is idling.

I doubt if the back plate would smell but since it's defective you might as well remove it...... As for the shield just remove it because it's only there to meet US regulations.

I'm at a loss as to what else could be causing it though, everything else has been replaced.

It seems to be the inside edge of the disc where the rust has built up that is catching on the edges of the part where the handbrake shoes sit inside - the photo might help below. But has it's rust then I would have thought the bits would just break off or grind down.

brakes.jpg

Yes I'll either remove the shield or try and re-attach it but I'd imagine the studs have rusted through.

If it rubs it makes one hell of a noise Rich....

Yes that's another thing I was going to say, there is no noise and I thought there should be if it's rubbing. Unless it's only catching in one area but just enough to cause the smell.

If the handbrake cable wasn't releasing the shoes intermittently and they were dragging, the hub should be hot but it's only warm compared to the other side that isn't making a smell.

What else could it be?!!  :banghead:

The thing is if I put my nose right up to the wheel I can smell heat but it goes within a minute or 2 of stopping the car. If it was brake related I'm sure the smell would be there longer, be stronger and also be on the pads and/or discs. When the other side was binding everything stunk of it!

I might just take it for the MOT and see if they spot anything that might be causing it.

I didn't take one but if I grind the rust off on Thursday then I will. I've never removed the shoes, only cleaned around the springs, levers etc and made sure they move when the handbrake is applied. I've never greased them.

The smell was there again when I got home but disappeared after a minute or so, which makes it difficult to trace where it's coming from. By the time I've jacked it up and got the wheel off it's gone.

Got home from work this afternoon and did my favourite thing of getting my jack and tools out!! :rolleyes:

I cut that section of the brake guard out and grinded the rust down on the hub and the disc, nothing is catching at all so that's all good. Adjusted the handbrake shoes and took it for a run, got home and the smell is still there!

I don't think it is the brakes now, it can't be. The hubs do get pretty warm from the shoes rubbing slightly on the drum, I can hold my finger on them for about 10 seconds before they start burning. The wheel spins smoothly, there are no noises or play, although I've not checked for that properly. I think a bearing should always stay warm not hot so I'll take the cap off the wheel and see what it feels like in the centre after a run. The wheel has never been hot though, it always stays cold.

It's difficult to describe but definitely not a brake binding smell, I've experienced that a few times now!! It's like a strong heat smell but goes within a minute of stopping the car.

I'm wondering if it's to do with the exhaust now. The other day I noticed the tailpipe was wet after I had parked up. Is that a sign of anything?

Why just the one way though?

I have no idea, I thought maybe with the heavier traffic in the mornings I don't drive as fast and stop more often, but as it's half term this week the roads were clear so I didn't stop at all.

Wheel bearing would make a lot of noise

That's what I thought, I'm sure it's not this.