Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

I fitted a new front mount on an Accord R , they are really prone to failing . Put it in gear and get the car to its bite point with someone watching the engine and check for movement

The one I removed didnt really look shot until i got it off

• Like 1

As liner said but with the brake on.. It's a bit feet and ears but it really loads the mount. As for the noise it could allow more vibration but often it snaps the exhaust front pipe.

You can try that in the morning if you want ;)

Well had a look and they seem fine, in fact i would say they have been changed recently? I also had a look at the old dampers and they were F... Broke. As you push the shaft in you can hear the air coming out past the seal :thumbsdown_anim:

Cheers mate. I think it's related to the gearbox or drive by wire so will have to keep looking.

Fingers crossed no more knocking noises! If the fronts were that bad could the rears be on the way out too?

I assume the pinch bolts came out ok?

Hopefully me spraying them helped then. I might price some rear ones up and replace them once I've got this gearing issue sorted. Honda are rising their prices from today so I'll have to see how much they've gone up by.

Should be over soon to pick it up, you still there?

Well picked the car up and the drive home was great. The loud knocking I was getting all the time has finally gone! The suspension feels alot firmer now and the steering has improved too. When I got home though I went down a small dip in the road and felt a clunk under my foot. So something else might need changing but I'll keep an eye on it.

I swapped the accelerator pedal sensor for my spare one and did the idle learn procedure to see if it helped the dropping rev counter and gear change feel I've been getting. Both were still the same so that's ruled out.

I took the car for another drive and went on the motorway this time. At 70mph I felt a little vibration in the steering wheel. Could the new shocks have an effect on the balancing? I'm putting the summer wheels back on tomorrow so will see what happens with those.

Thanks for doing the geo as well :)

Your welcome..... On paper the geo should be fine but why not check it anyway...... Did they show you the blowing damper seal blowing oil and air :o The dampers cannot cause vibration unless they are devoid of dampening force.

Yes Joe showed me, it was pretty knackered! Drove up to Luton last night with 5 of us in the car and it's vibrating between 65-75mph but otherwise is a lot better now. I'll see what it's like with the 17s back on but it wasn't like that before. I thought maybe the knackered shocks had masked it.

Fitted the 17s and the vibration has disappeared but there were only 2 of us in the car. I'm not sure if extra weight can cause vibrations? It might be the winter wheels need rebalancing.

I was getting worried it might be the driveshafts. They're common for vibrating, knocking and snapping on the diesel but it can happen with the 2.4 petrol too. There is a little movement on the drivers side, is this acceptable? The other side is rock solid.

Has anyone started a job they wished they hadn't! I removed the TB to clean it and replace the gasket. One coolant hose underneath was really awkward to take off and I ended up losing a lot of coolant. Luckily I have plenty spare. One screw was rounding for the cover where the IACV would normally be but I managed to get it undone and replaced that gasket. Then I tried pulling the TB gasket off and it ripped. Looks like the gasket had welded itself to the TB! So I spent ages with a stanley blade scraping the whole gasket off!

Refitted everything, put the new Honda air filter in and also adjusted the throttle cable a little more. The car feels abit smoother now and I don't think I can feel the gear changes as much but will have to see what it's like going to work.

The rev counter is still dropping when lifting off the throttle so I think that must be an electrical gremlin. I spoke to Honda about it and they said it will probably be difficult to fault find. I've lived with it for 3.5 years now so will just leave it.

I guess they could be but when they go back on in October I'll go and get them balanced. I'll probably swap the fronts with the rears so if I can feel the vibration through the seat it's definitely the wheels.

I need to drive the car a bit more but this morning from cold I couldn't really feel any change from before but I only do 5 miles to work. We're away from Wednesday so I'll be able to see what it's like on a longer trip.

I'm thinking of changing those dreadful Vred tyres before we go, they don't have much tread left but the handling is horrible with them, they are the worst tramlining tyre I've used! That means spending another £140 on the car though, I could really do with a break ATM.

Well there is definitely still another knocking noise to find!

To start with the upper wishbone was replaced that sorted the very loud knock I used to get last year. Then replacing the shocks has sorted the other knocking noise and it no longer knocks when pulling away at work. But when I got home and reversed in to the driveway I felt a little clunk under my feet as I went up it.

Is it possible for the front ARB to knock even when you can't push/pull the bar?

Starting to get annoyed with this car. I know it's 120k miles but so much has gone wrong recently!!

I don't get any knocking when braking and I cleaned them the other week, they sit in the caliper nicely.

I'll just keep an eye on it and try to pin point when it happens. I can go over some really bad bumps and it's fine. Then go over a small one or hit the raised part of the driveway at low speed and it knocks.

Could the play in the driveshaft I mentioned above cause a knock?