Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

Cheers mate that looks easy enough to do, I might give that a try then.

I was thinking of doing what we did with a ball joint and put it in the freezer then heat the hole up but they're alot smaller than a bush so I don't think it would be as easy.

I had a look at the bush yesterday while fitting the winter wheels and it doesn't look that bad ATM so I'll change it next year. At least I have an idea of how I can do it now.

I had my first drive on the winter wheels this morning and the ride is so much more comfortable - the 17s are 225/45, the 16s are 205/55. I love the look of the 17s and although the handling is better on the lower profile I do like the comfort - I must be getting old!!

• 1 month later...

I've got my best ever mpg from the last tank, filled up last night and it worked out to be 29.8mpg. That was 220 miles of motorway/dual carriageways and the rest (150 miles) around town so I could easily get over 30mpg if I did all motorway driving. I'm really impressed with that considering it's winter so all the electrics are on, the winter tyres are on and the car is sitting for longer in the mornings to warm up while I de-ice it.

Aren't Honda's known for their efficiency.

It's a 2.4 auto weighing 1.5 tonne so it's not exactly going to be a fuel efficient car! :lol: The mpg is the same, if not slightly better than the Corolla and I prefer the Accord alot more, although it's not really fair to compare them cos the cars/engines are completely different.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the Accord may have a coolant leak, the expansion tank seems to be dropping recently. When I bought the car it was on the min mark, which I pointed out and the guy topped it up, it's been fine until recently when I noticed it was going down, probably an inch or 2 from the top. Every now and again I get a whiff of coolant in the cabin so I'm hoping it's not the matrix, I don't think they're a known issue on these cars. I had this problem on the Corolla and it turned out to be the rad after it burst a year after I sold it.

Is there any way of finding a coolant leak if it's just a pin hole sized one and won't leave any signs?

• 1 month later...

Damn rear brakes!! Got to work and I smelt burning, the drivers side was fine, walked round to the passenger side and smoke was coming off it. I thought I got a slight whiff of something last week but when I felt the wheels they weren't hot. Hopefully it will be ok when I leave tonight but if it's still like it guess what I'll be doing this evening!

I've already cleaned them twice in the 15 months I've had it and I was going to do an annual strip down/clean when it's warmer as the rears are known for seizing on the tourer. If a pad isn't seized then I think I'll have to replace the calipers as the pistons must have corrosion on them.

Out of the box listen to this one..... At STS we had a similar issue and ended up changing the disc's pads, caliper and the problem remained, so we changed the calliper again and it remained. after mush scratching of heads we decided to change the flexi hose and that solved the problem. It turns out the hose had collapsed internally and was acting as a one way valve.

Yes they are also another common problem on the Accord so it's possible it could be that but hopefully just a clean will do. It's probably like what happened to the Civic a few months ago, so much crap gets on the caliper it causes the pad to seize in the carrier. The rear of the tourer is very open to the elements.

I'll probably change the flexi hoses in the summer just for peace of mind and when the weather is nicer!

I need to learn how to bleed brakes as well, that's one thing I've never done myself, I always just operate the pedal!

Yeah I think I will, they don't cost much.

Got home ok, took it easy and tried braking as little as possible. No smoke coming off them and it only felt a little warm so I'm abit confused now. Maybe the pad released itself if it got jammed or it is the flexi hose. I've not got time to look tonight but will tomorrow so will see what's what.

In the past have you ever crimped the flexi hose to stop fluid leaking?

No I haven't, all I've done is clean the calipers and change the discs/pads. I had a full fluid change done at the centre but I don't think the hoses were touched.

I think it's only a slight drag cos the car is driving as normal so hopefully it's just a pad or a build up of rust causing the issue. It was smoking again when I got to work so I need to strip it down tomorrow.

I'm thinking of just replacing both rear calipers and hoses anyway and be done with it, at least that way they should be good for a few years.

Calipers are £40 each - http://www.brakeparts.co.uk/#!/shop/HONDA/ACCORD/03-08/ACCORD%20CL9~CM2%202.4%20PETROL%20SAL~ESTATE/Rear%20-%20Brake%20Calipers%20and%20Wheel%20cylinders/BCA2098

Hoses are £11-£16 depending on what type I have so with postage on top including sending the old ones back I'm looking at a maximum of £130. We're going away in 5 weeks and the last thing I want is them seizing again and having to pay a garage up there to sort it.

What is it with Jap cars and brakes - the Corolla, Civic and Accord have all had issues yet I never had to touch the calipers on my Fords, just the normal disc/pad change!

I think you're just unlucky mate. All the Japanese cars I have had haven't really had any brake issues apart from the Civic and that only took 10 minutes to sort out by Joe. Probably to do with the little mileage you do/don't work the brakes hard enough?

I did the same amount of mileage in the Fords though and never had an issue.

You drive your cars pretty hard so use the brakes more than I do. With both the Civic and Accord being autos they are used more as well as there is no engine braking but they're not exactly cars you can race in so I don't brake that hard, maybe I should. Both cars do around 5-6k miles a year now and get used pretty much every day around town.

The Corolla I only did 6k miles in over 2 years and changed both front calipers as the pistons kept sticking and then the rear seized just before you bought it. I bet it's going to have issues with them again sitting on the drive these last few months as well!

Just come in after getting soaked to the bone and the pads weren't seized but the outer one has worn a little more than the inner. Clean those up and the clips. The sliders were a little stiff when I first pulled them otherwise they are ok so cleaned and regreased those.

I pushed the piston out a little bit, pulled back the dust cover and it was covered in grime! Pushed it out a little more and cleaned it all off. I'll take it for a run when it stops raining.

So it looks like the dust cover has worn and is letting dirt in. This will more than likely happen again so I think when it's warmer I'll replace both calipers and the hoses. I CBA to mess around changing seals myself.

I'll clean the other side before we go away as that is probably the same.