Essential tools for your toolbox?

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I need to get myself a vice but need a heavy duty bench to bolt it to. This will be going in the shed (or I may keep it outside covered up) so needs to be fairly small and be cheap as chips. I don't care what it's made from or looks like as long as it's strong enough. I've seen some cheap benches on ebay but they look like one of my shelving racks with a bit of MDF on top and that isn't sturdy enough. The other option is maybe a solid wood cupboard?

Would pine be too soft?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pine-Kitchen-Cabinet-hallway-cabinet-telephone-table-cabinet-pine-cupboard-/321488209843

We will be replacing our TV unit at some point and I was going to sell the Ikea one we currently have but I was thinking of converting it to a table or cupboard. As it is it's too low but it's a solid bit of furniture, I could jump up and down on top of it and it wouldn't collapse!

How could I convert this into a higher unit of some sort?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ikea-tv-unit-/191280702256

You could nail / bolt some fence posts to the corners :) Think pine would be too soft for a workbench and also bit small and low is that bedside table ;)

What about a B&D foldable workbench? Some on ebay for around £10 not sure if they are by you though.

You could nail / bolt some fence posts to the corners :) Think pine would be too soft for a workbench and also bit small and low is that bedside table ;)

What about a B&D foldable workbench? Some on ebay for around £10 not sure if they are by you though.

That's not a bad idea and reinforce the legs in between for extra strength.

Could I put a bolt straight into the centre of a fence post without it splitting or would using brackets on the outside be better?

Just had another thought, an old computer desk, you can buy those cheap enough. Either use it as it is or put the legs onto the TV unit or buy 2 and bolt it to the pair - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Computer-or-Drawing-Desk-Pine-Veneer-/231304427987 

The thing with foldable benches is the tops tend to be loose and they buckle under alot of weight - or maybe I've just used cheap ones.

Rich, from experience that tv unit will most likely be hollow in the middle with cardboard honeycomb reinforcement. Not a lot you could do with it really. Unless they've upped their game recently and have started using wood to make their wooden furniture. :D

The top is solid wood, it can take my weight and we had an old 32" CRT TV on it for years with no issues and that weighed a tonne, needed 2 people to lift it! I definitely wouldn't be using MDF, chipboard or the hollowed out tops to use as a workbench!  :)

But how am I going to bolt a vice to one of those, I need something heavier and more sturdy? The top of those workbenches just clip in don't they?

I assume you mean one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BLACK-AND-DECKER-WM536-WORKMATE-WORKSHOP-WORK-BENCH-/171412598540

I have my vice bolted to an old kitchen work top which runs along the back wall of my garage. Maybe a small off cut of work top attached to your shed wall?

Good idea, they are nice and thick and I know someone who has an old work top, might see if they still want it. I don't think the shed walls would cope with the weight though so I need a bench. I need to arrange the shed first to see how much space I can make for it, it's filling up quickly!!

With the B&D I think you can screw a vice to the top with wing nuts. Also, it's got a built in vice as the two sides of the top will wind together.

Would that hold the weight of say a suspension knuckle, I don't think it will? I do need one of those fold up ones for when I do work outside though so I'll get one anyway. Something else for the shed!! :lol:

Please excuse this little ramble, but I can't resist.

We had our first house built in 1959. When I got down to making the garden I discovered that the builder had buried all sorts of things on the site (an intact builders wheelbarrow for example) that I used for years afterwards. Included in the spoils was a large number of scaffold planks, from which I constructed a workbench that has accompanied me through five houses and which I still use. It has a five inch metalworking vice bolted to the top surface at one end and a ten inch woodworking vice on the front face at the other end.

A really solid workbench is so useful.

I have blessed that sloppy builder on many occasions over the years.

Why would you bury a wheelbarrow!  :blink: Just goes to show that some things do last forever or at least a very long time. I am going to pick up some more scaffold boards from a local place soon and I might get some railway sleepers I've seen so will make something from those.

I think at the end of the job they just levelled the site by machine, ignoring stuff left lying in various holes and trenches.

I guess that the barrow would have been written off as part of the overhead. 

I had to take a cold chisel and brick bolster to it to remove layers of solidified concrete - I think the builder would have found it easier/cheaper to abandon it and include a new one in the quote for the next job.

It's nearly sixty years ago and taking inflation into account, a builders barrow would have been a very low cost item.

The whole build, including site purchase, cost only £2,200.00.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is an unusual one, not for the car but house and maybe garden.

A heavy duty staple remover:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/staple-remover/10059

been and bought one this afternoon to make it easy to remove the old felt off my shed. Using a screwdriver and pliers would take ages and possible leave some ends in. Since when I get round to it I'm putting on a rubber roof I don't want any bits left.

Tried it out on a few and those that I can see came out easily, just need to clean the moss off now ready for when I do it. Hopefully next week.

That's the problem with most tools, you only tend to use them once or twice. Definitely looks handy to have though and will make the job alot quicker.

When I got my dremel I didn't think I would use it much but it's come in handy a few times now.

As well as for the shed felt can be used to lift foam back carpets and remove the backing paper that is sometimes stapled to the floor before carpets put down. Re-upholstery etc. The list is endless ( not quite ) ;)

True but as said at that price you don't really mind...... I need to get a wood sander to smooth the window sills but i can't justify the price so it's down to good old elbow grease.

This one is on offer and the cheapest I've seen it :)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Decker-KA161BC-Detail-Sander-Accessories/dp/B001G7PR3Q

True but as said at that price you don't really mind...... I need to get a wood sander to smooth the window sills but i can't justify the price so it's down to good old elbow grease.

What kind of sanders are you looking at?  :blink:

Wouldn't recommend the mouse though unless you're doing a lot of minor detail work, it's not powerful enough.

• 9 months later...

I did the oil change on the Accord last week and when I emptied the oil from the pan I have into my empty bottle using a funnel I made a right mess on the driveway! Luckily most of it could be picked up with the gravel and I had a plastic sheet down. I've used it before loads of times with no problems so I'm not sure why it happened but the oil ran over the sides as well as going over the lip. I don't think the wind helped neither! This is the one I have - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Oil-Fluid-Chemical-Antifreeze-Drain-Pan-Tray-Bowl-6-Litres-Pouring-Lip-Spout-/281546550846?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item418d7b6e3e

I've decided to get another oil pan to avoid this happening again and like the look of this - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311335300158?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Does anyone use this one and does the oil drain out of the spout quickly before it gets to the edge?

Cant help you on that particular one but i use one like this :

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Fluid-Draining-Tank-10L-Garage-Oil-Petrol-Diesel-Change-Pan-2484-/130963181000?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item1e7e038dc8

I think my one cost me about £16 a few years ago.

I can do about 4/5 oil changes on the mx5 with this one.  Its initially fun trying to get the first surge of oil in when you pull the plug (you get better with time) but once its in there you wipe the tray up, screw in the plugs and put away. No issues in taking the oil at speed. Taking to the tip for draining is a breeze which for me is a big plus as i hate messing about there. I usually keep mine in a black bag to stop crap sticking to it.

works for me!

I had seen that one Steve but some of the reviews say that the oil comes out so fast it can't get into the hole quick enough and spills out over the sides. Does your one have an air plug as well?

How much oil does the MX5 hold, 4/5 changes in a 10L bottle isn't much? I've not seen them any larger that this.