Essential tools for your toolbox?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Thanks Viking will take a look. I don't know anyone with a trade card for Halfords, how comes you've only used it the once?

My bolt grippers arrived yesterday, they look really good, lets just hope they work.

So how do you push the pistons back or do they all wind back?

Yours should push back in on the Toyota mate, if wind out during use, you can get a tool to wind them back in.

You can use bit of wood or 2 bits to help you, as the wood will not damage the piston, you can use something like the grippers and use the wood to help you.

• 4 weeks later...

A couple of ones that have saved me :

Easy outs - snapped a bolt in the rocker cover - came out a treat and saved me a load of hassle

1/2" Breaker bar - Makes things so much easier when undoing nuts on shocks and suspension components

Magnetic tray and a magnetic telescopic picker upper thing - for when you drop that critical nut or bolt deep into the engine bay.

And some everyday bits are WD40, Duct tape, and some disposable gloves to save a fortune in swarfega and bollockings when i wreck the hand towels and stink the kitchen out :lol:

I've had a breaker bar since I started working on my cars, definitely a must have :D

I bought a magnetic dish the other week and I don't know why I didn't get one earlier, so handy having everything in one place and not losing it! :lol:

I need a magnetic pickup tool though, luckily not needed one yet but you know a time will come when I do.

One thing I do need is a long thin wire brush to put on a drill so I can clean out my slider pin holes on the carrier brackets, any suggestions?

• 3 weeks later...

I'm having issues with a caliper bolt and sump plug, both have rounded heads. I don't think they're seized, I just need something to grip onto them. I know Tony has mentioned using stilsons but I don't have any, plus I think the space around the caliper bolt is too restricted. Doing abit of googling it seems Irwin bolt grippers are highly recommended. They're not cheap though so just wondering if anyone has used these or know of an alternative that is just as good, but cheaper?

Irwin Bolt Grippers

Finally got around to using these today, they are awesome. Tapped the right sized one onto the bolt head and as I turned it cut into it. Undid it straight away, definitely recommend them :D

irwin_bolt.jpg

They either work fantastically great or fail big time in my opinion.

I had one that wouldn't bite, I grabbed the next smaller size and 'persuaded' it on with a hammer. Don't like doing it, but was easier than drilling the thing out =(

• 2 months later...

I need some good mole grips. I always borrow a pair as I normally use them everytime I do something on the car but they're pretty knackered and the teeth are very worn! I don't want a cheapy pair like Rolson or Amtech but can't afford Snap on quality, so probably looking at Draper or similar. Any suggestions and I would like to get a large and small one as well?

Yeah I have a few Draper tools and have been happy with them. The really cheap tools I have bought don't even last one job!

What about Silverline? Some of their stuff is pretty good and my rotary is a silverline one, never had issues with that.

Looking at these

Get one then before the price increases! ;)

Does anyone know if you can buy adapters to use normal drill bits with it? I just want to make holes for shelves and it'll be drilling through plaster.

I may also get the 100 piece accessory set and that should be everything I need then, just need to work out what the different bits are used for! :lol:

• 1 year later...

I need to buy some files for cleaning brake calipers with, currently I use wire brushes and sandpaper but I can never get right into the corners where it has built up.

What ones do you think will be better for the job?

Needle files - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand%20Tools/Files%20and%20Rasps/Needle%20File%20Set/d10/sd3161/p30370

Large files - http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Hand%20Tools/Files%20and%20Rasps/File%20Set/d10/sd3161/p70348

No to clean the crap off so the pads don't stick in the carrier, there is always a build up of rusty crap I can never remove with a brush. I use a flat headed screwdriver but it's not really the best tool for the job!