Horror of the week 01-12-09

Tony

Vauxhall Sigma arrived at the centre with a blown out tyre in the spare and the space saver fitted on the OSF, when i drove the car into the centre the steering was as heavy as hell, i thought it was due to the poxy space saver..... then as the car rode the slight incline to the workshop the front valance scrapped the floor :huh: .... must be that space saver again methinks :rolleyes:

After fitting the new tyre it was put back on the car, but it wouldn't go on :D obviously we initially thought it was the wrong wheel "WTF"....... Or maybe, just maybe this could be the reason why

post-2-1259664569.jpg

post-2-1259664581.jpg

post-2-1259664596.jpg

Not only has the spring snapped it rode down the strut tangling with the brake lines and drop-link, eventually it pierced the tyre. This is the scary bit, the male owner was totally unaware there was a problem...... How can you not notice the heavy steering, the noise, the angle of the car?

My mates Alfa 166 had a snapped spring on the OSF. It drove perfectly despite this, I drove it to the MOT centre that failed it and I didn't notice anything amiss. It was nowhere near as bad as this Vauxhall but it was completely snapped, the top two coils were totally separate.

I normally work on 80s Peugeots and I have never seen a Pug spring with any significant corrosion, my mates Alfa is a '99 on 60k so I was surprised to say the least. I ended up fitting a full set of Eibachs as they cost less than just the fronts from Alfa, and once the rears were off it was obvious they needed changing too. I understand it was recently aligned at WIM on my recommendation.

Can you imagin what it would be like to drive a car with a front coil missing :D

yeah right lol....i drove a bedford cf van 60 miloe with just springs on the front and shocks removed years ago.....would put any ganta bouncy car to shame lol

Vauxhall Sigma arrived at the centre with a blown out tyre

Not only has the spring snapped it rode down the strut tangling with the brake lines and drop-link, eventually it pierced the tyre.

Same thing happened on my son's Vauxhall Corsa SXi, spring snapped and punctured the tyre. Common fault on Vauxhall's perhaps, or just unlucky?

Of course snapped springs on MX5s / Eunos are common - found I had one myself.

But have just bought a '98 Legacy and that has both front springs snapped at the bottom coil too.

Could it just be the potholes and bumps / ramps or do cars with open wound springs suffer this more?

Presume a spring that only has 4 or 5 coils will actually be working harder than a closer wound one and maybe that leads to earlier fatigue?

Or is it just poorer quality steel?

Works for me...were you on a mobile?

No I wasn't, but it did work now :)

Still that didn't answer the question unfortunately, just brought up the insignia :D

Don't think Sigma exists - maybe it was cross between a Signum, Sintra and Insignia?

If it was, then no wonder its falling to pieces!

Signum that's the one :smile_anim:

Ahh the signum, I didn't think there was a sigma, but couldn't think of anything else similar that it could have been confused with............the signum's the weird 4 seat estate thingy isn't it?

Yeah that's the one..... odd looking thing.

• 4 weeks later...