WIM Centre Blog

Tony

Hi Tony,

How are things going at WIM. Any idea when it will be opening?

Steve.

Well the builders are in now removing the walls ready for the shutter doors..

post-2-1205337434.jpg

post-2-1205337465.jpg

Next week the mezzanine floor goes up, then the equipment can go in, so i'm hoping the end of March :D

Tony, just a question here (to cover your ass), but did anyone get a structural engineers (preferably the ones that designed the building) approval to remove that wind brace?

I hope someone did, as it is a integral structural item, and the building warranty would be null and void if written approval was not sought.

Yep all was approved, in fact that was one of reasons for the delays :lol:

• Replies 380
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

How much for a air con re-charge, for future reference :)

We've not set a price yet... Did you know the law has changed to the extent you now need a licence to re-charge aircon now?... Fortunately the new chap I've just employed is an approved aircon installer :)

Is it April 1st today...... Listen to this funny joke. The peeps tuned up to install the mezzanaine and asked to borrow our forklift, i said "what forklift?" he said he was told we have a forklift on site... "errrr no".

So tomorrow we need to rent a lift.... (that's coming off the bill) Anyway all they could do today is install the uprights... Then it turns out the connections for the stabilizer arms have been welded on the wrong side of the uprights :D

I said "mate this is beyond funny now" and he just shrugged his shoulders.... Well i'm a placid bloke normally but i tore his boss a new one if you know what i mean.

Needless to say the metal work will be corrected tomorrow.

sorry to hear that...you don't seem to have much luck with contractors do you :D ...as for borrow out bits of kit for people on the job.....you want to stay WELLL clear of that Tony.....it can all too easily turn round and bite you in the ass if anything happens while they are working on equipment that you lent them....best let them work with their own equipment so you are clear of any liability issues.....it's a sad world we live in now....

sorry to hear that...you don't seem to have much luck with contractors do you :D ...as for borrow out bits of kit for people on the job.....you want to stay WELLL clear of that Tony.....it can all too easily turn round and bite you in the ass if anything happens while they are working on equipment that you lent them....best let them work with their own equipment so you are clear of any liability issues.....it's a sad world we live in now....

I hear you... As we know i am on a non-returnable deadline now so my normal purr when things don't go right has been replaced with a growl... I don't like doing it but i've had enough, i really, really, really have :D

IvE herd the forklift is really the new geo ramp :mellow:

The new lift will be my boot if the builders don't bring the right one tomorrow :huh: I'm on a really tight schedule now and my patience is zero.... In fact i got so angry this morning i had to come home and work from there.

Sorry to hear of the continuing problems Tony.

My first thought on reading the stabilisers were on wrong was that they have probably put the uprights in the wrong position!

<Agony Aunt mode>

Anyway, I know it's frustrating, been there myself, but having a heart attack does not help at all.

Chill out, have a beer or three, think nice thoughts.

Another week, although it amounts to loss of a weeks work and wages etc, is not huge in the grand scheme of things. One week in 20 years is less than one tenth of one percent. (I assume the centre is gong to be there for at least 20 years!)

What's more important is you, and your family. Leave your frustrations at the door as you leave the centre.

Waft homewards on a bed of tranquility back to your loving family!

Failing that use a Mondeo!

</Agony Aunt mode>

h

HMS is 100% right Tony.

It is frustrating. Don't lose sight of the goal though. The hassles in between are just things that get in the way.

They shouldn't happen but they do because people aren't conscientious enough - its not important to them.

Look to the end. You will get there. Take every problem and deal with it, then think of your family and then again to the goal. Focus.

Air your grievances - you must or it will eat at you but then step away and look at the big picture again.

I don't mean to patronise you or sound condescending because I'm honestly not doing - you are doing what is human - things aren't going to plan because of others ineptness/negligence/lack of care and you are getting angry.

Its all normal mate - just try and think of the final outcome. Then think of the opening - we'll all be there mate. You'll see we've all been rooting for you through this!!

Thanks for the calming words everyone, i do take them on board.

Today has gone better.... Seemingly after i left yesterday they managed to install the upper RSJ's and today they came with more men and really cracked on with it :huh:

But at 10am i looked out of the office window and saw this

post-2-1207146320.jpg

Seeing the smoke coming out of the van i rushed down there and asked is everything ok?.... chap looked up and said "yes guv, just cooking some bacon rolls for lunch, you want one?".

Declining i walked away looking at my watch thinking "10am= lunch" :mellow:

Smelt nice though ;)

Mezzanine floor is up :oneeyed02: Just needs painting, so in true time lapse fashion

Before....

post-2-1207228755.jpg

post-2-1207228778.jpg

After....

post-2-1207228817.jpg

post-2-1207228860.jpg

The underneath is being finished to i will take some images tomorrow...... Main thing is it's up :wub:

The finished mezzanaine....

post-2-1207329182.jpg

just having the lights put in then it's finally complete.

Also today the BOSS tyre changer arrived It's huuuuuuge, over 6ft tall :rolleyes:

The controls look worrying, hence the two days training on the machine.

post-2-1207329260.jpg

post-2-1207329220.jpg

post-2-1207329297.jpg