Speed cushions

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just had response back from council  and here it is :

'The correct speed would be a speed that is not exceeding the speed limit that has been set'

So as this road is now at 20mph, in effect it would be ok to drive over these at 20mph, yeah right !! my car wouldn't last 5 secs doing that.!!

Bloody council Grrrrr................

Cheers Pete

I would question 20mph in my professional opinion... The inertia/ momentum/ suspension transition and bushing compliance could be damaged and/ or severely compromised at that speed. 5mph would be more like it, at a push 10mph but even then i would be worried.

What they seem to miss is on such a short hump these are vertical potholes, no less damaging as a normal pothole we so splendidly pay our road tax on..

I would question 20mph in my professional opinion... The inertia/ momentum/ suspension transition and bushing compliance could be damaged and/ or severely compromised at that speed. 5mph would be more like it, at a push 10mph but even then i would be worried.

What they seem to miss is on such a short hump these are vertical potholes, no less damaging as a normal pothole we so splendidly pay our road tax on..

Even with those square ones in the middle of the road? I take it easy in the 360 but in the Merc/Lexus you can fly over those ones with no issues whatsoever - barely even feel them.

You're not actually hitting the hump though, you're hitting the edges which is just a small protrusion off the road surface (plus a smooth incline and made of rubber)

Posed the 20mph question and suspension compliance etc  at this speed to them yesterday  and surprise surprise no reply.

Even with those square ones in the middle of the road? I take it easy in the 360 but in the Merc/Lexus you can fly over those ones with no issues whatsoever - barely even feel them.

You're not actually hitting the hump though, you're hitting the edges which is just a small protrusion off the road surface (plus a smooth incline and made of rubber)

That's why I question their purpose, they don't exactly slow you down!

I've not come across any of the rubber ones, but have varying luck with the asphalt covered ones around here. In Ricky along Northway (behind the highstreet) there are a few, I *always* clip the top of the last one with a little ping from the cat heatshield. That one bump on its own is the sole reason I haven't lowered the car a few mm more.

Along Baldwins Lane though I can breeze over them at 25/30 and not feel a thing, the R is "just" wide enough that it clears them, and they're low enough that even with 3 people there's no noise.

I hate the ones down Northway, most of the time people can't park their cars properly and on the other side you have a lorry or car parked half on the pavement, forcing you to actually drive through the middle of the speed hump rather than over it. Baldwins Lane is a breeze, even the Corolla sailed straight over those!

I would be asking them for the correct procedure for driving over them so as to minimise any possibility of damage, to include the angle of approach, the positioning of the wheels in relation to the speed bump, the correct speed (bear in mind the same speed bumps are likely to be found in both 20 and 30mph limits), and also to provide documented evidence of the research they say has been carried out.

Also, check the height of them as the 1999 Highways Regulations state the maximum dimensions of a road hump shouldn’t be higher than 10cm.

Also, check the height of them as the 1999 Highways Regulations state the maximum dimensions of a road hump shouldn’t be higher than 10cm.

Well they're clearly just ignoring that one then - didn't know there was an actual regulation but pretty much all the bumps in Camden do not comply.........

Well they're clearly just ignoring that one then - didn't know there was an actual regulation but pretty much all the bumps in Camden do not comply.........

Well worth pointing that out to them then. And linking to the relevant Government Legislation page Here. Where it clearly states...

Nature, dimensions and location of road humps

4.  (1)  Subject to regulation 7, no road hump shall be constructed or maintained in a highway unless–

(a) each face of it across the carriageway of the highway in which it is constructed is at right angles to an imaginary line along the centre of that carriageway;

(b ) it has a minimum length of 900 millimetres measured parallel to an imaginary line along the centre of that carriageway from the point where one face meets the surface of that carriageway to the point where the other face meets the surface of that carriageway;

(c ) the highest point on it is not less than 25 millimetres nor more than 100 millimetres higher than an imaginary line parallel to the centre line of that carriageway connecting the surface of that carriageway on one side of the road hump to the surface of that carriageway on the other side of the road hump and passing vertically below that point; and,

(d) no vertical face of any material forming part of that road hump exceeds 6 millimetres measured vertically from top to bottom of that face.

Let the battle commence......... If they are higher than 10cm then to me clearly hitting one at 20mph will damage compressive materials like suspension, bushings, geometry positions.

This is an example of some that I go over on a regular basis, they don't look bad from the streetview and to be fair these ones probably are 10cm high but they are are whoppers - only way over them is to slow to an almost stop and crawl over. Any faster and the front of the car hits the bump as the suspension compresses.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tavistock+square&ll=51.524873,-0.129604&spn=0.006715,0.012896&safe=on&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.524942,-0.129679&panoid=VThQiGdR8fbqVQWaQEOYWQ&cbp=12,146.31,,0,21.26

Let the battle commence......... If they are higher than 10cm then to me clearly hitting one at 20mph will damage compressive materials like suspension, bushings, geometry positions.

This is an example of some that I go over on a regular basis, they don't look bad from the streetview and to be fair these ones probably are 10cm high but they are are whoppers - only way over them is to slow to an almost stop and crawl over. Any faster and the front of the car hits the bump as the suspension compresses.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=tavistock+square&ll=51.524873,-0.129604&spn=0.006715,0.012896&safe=on&t=m&z=16&layer=c&cbll=51.524942,-0.129679&panoid=VThQiGdR8fbqVQWaQEOYWQ&cbp=12,146.31,,0,21.26

Just be careful that isn't classed as a pedestrian crossing hump. Those are classified differently to normal speed humps. Speed humps are used to slow the flow of traffic through a certain section of the road (like outside a school perhaps) whereas crossing humps (I don't know what they're actually called without resorting to google) are not covered under that regulation. I can't recall exactly what they're classified under.

One assumes the 10cm rule applies for both....... Thing is that seems to be a little vague is the rate the 10cm is achieved? What's the graduation!!

From what I recall, there's a seperate regulation covering raised pedestrian crossing areas, which are not covered under the regulations for normal speed humps. To put it simply, a pedestrian crossing is not a speed hump so therefore doesn't need to comply with regulations for speed humps. In fact, the regulations for speed humps state "no road hump shall be within the limits of a zebra controlled area as defined in regulation 3(1) of the regulations mentioned in that paragraph or within 30 metres from the imaginary line along the centre of the pattern of stripes mentioned in that paragraph."

I'm unable to find any regulation governing the actual angle of a hump, save "no vertical face of any material forming part of that road hump exceeds 6 millimetres measured vertically from top to bottom of that face."

One assumes the 10cm rule applies for both....... Thing is that seems to be a little vague is the rate the 10cm is achieved? What's the graduation!!

From what I recall, there's a seperate regulation covering raised pedestrian crossing areas, which are not covered under the regulations for normal speed humps. To put it simply, a pedestrian crossing is not a speed hump so therefore doesn't need to comply with regulations for speed humps. In fact, the regulations for speed humps state "no road hump shall be within the limits of a zebra controlled area as defined in regulation 3(1) of the regulations mentioned in that paragraph or within 30 metres from the imaginary line along the centre of the pattern of stripes mentioned in that paragraph."

I believe you have missed out an important bit.  The sentence that you have quoted starts  with the phrase "Save as mentioned in paragraph 2 above, no road hump etc"

The paragraph 2 to which the exception refers sets out the way in which a speed bump may be created as part of a pedestrian crossing. There are similar paragraphs for Pelican crossings. For simplicity I have reproduced the relevant paragraphs in full. I can see no interpretation other than that a speed bump may form part of a pedestrian or a Pelican crossing and that it must conform to the dimensions set out in paragraphs 4 (1), (2) and (3)

Nature, dimensions and location of road humps

4.  (1)  Subject to regulation 7, no road hump shall be constructed or maintained in a highway unless—

(a)each face of it across the carriageway of the highway in which it is constructed is at right angles to an imaginary line along the centre of that carriageway;

(B)it has a minimum length of 900 millimetres measured parallel to an imaginary line along the centre of that carriageway from the point where one face meets the surface of that carriageway to the point where the other face meets the surface of that carriageway;

©the highest point on it is not less than 25 millimetres nor more than 100 millimetres higher than an imaginary line parallel to the centre line of that carriageway connecting the surface of that carriageway on one side of the road hump to the surface of that carriageway on the other side of the road hump and passing vertically below that point; and

(d)it has no vertical face of any material forming part of that road hump exceeding 6 millimetres measured vertically from top to bottom of that face.

(2) A road hump may be constructed and maintained in a highway so that an imaginary line along the centre of the hump from one side of the road to the other is in the same position as an imaginary line from one side of the road to the other along the centre of the pattern of black and white stripes specified in paragraph 4(1) of Part I of Schedule 2 to the “Zebra†Pedestrian Crossings Regulations 1971(1).

(3) Save as mentioned in paragraph (2) above, no road hump shall be within the limits of a zebra controlled area as defined in regulation 3(1) of the regulations mentioned in that paragraph or within 30 metres from the imaginary line along the centre of the pattern of stripes mentioned in that paragraph.