Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

Well those pistons have been in and out more times than a tarts rabbit so i feel the hose is backing up pressure.

pmsl, nice choice of wording! :lol:

When I get the old hoses off I'll cut them open to see what they're like inside. What signs do they show of being worn?

That makes sense, so what could be blocking it, just from where it's perished inside or something else? So pushing the piston back in temporarily unblocks it. As I said the fluid was flushed last year so hopefully there's nothing nasty in there causing it!

Well these are definitely the original calipers and I have no reason to suspect they've been crimped in the past so I'll put it down to age, they are a common issue on the tourer anyway.

Don't you just love internet shopping, got everything I need without having to drive to the motorfactors.

Brakes Int sent a new slider pin kit on Tuesday, which came yesterday so that's a thumbs up for them sorting it quickly.

I got the Visibleed and some tubing, both are a snug fit on the nipples.

I've just sprayed the bolts again, having a coffee and I'll start.

WP_20150319_08_57_38_Pro.jpg

All done, that's both sides, just need to bleed them now. Everything came undone ok, the only thing that gave me trouble were the hose bracket bolts. Glad I got that flare nut spanner, made it easier to undo.

I'll run the old pads for a while to make sure they've stopped binding then replace.

Yep it's freezing out there!

WP_20150319_11_19_38_Pro.jpg

IIRC you bleed the calliper the furthest from the master cylinder, then the next furthest etc. Think you need to bleed all four as well as with opposite wheels on the same circuit to retain braking of one part leaks then fronts need doing after backs.

On Honda's it's the NSF, OSF, OSR then the NSR, you work in a clockwise direction. That's in the official Honda workshop manual and they also suggest using the 2 man method. I think that is common now for cars with ABS, older ones start from the rear as you've said.

Well it's a long time since I've done it ;)

The FIL said the same when he came to help me, start from the furthest away from the master cylinder but I think this mainly applies to old cars now without ABS or if they don't have a separate bleed nipple. Maybe it's to stop air getting back into the ABS system by starting at the front instead.

Well done with the fitting, lets hope the bleed goes just as well.

Was fairly straight forward TBH. I have tried changing hoses before with just a normal spanner but wasn't having much luck, I didn't realise I needed a flared one so thanks for the heads up on that :)

After the second bleed I'm alot happier with the pedal feel now. We're away next week so I'll probably get some new pads when we're back and maybe try another bleed, any other bubbles might have dislodged by then. Also I'm thinking of replacing the front flexi hoses but I've had no issues with the fronts so maybe I should just leave them.

It was nice arriving at work with cold rear brakes again  :D