Sorry the wheel is scrap sir

Tony

BMW six series had a bit of a spin resulting in a curb slap on a £800 wheel

post-2-1300392795.jpg

post-2-1300392808.jpg

post-2-1300392819.jpg

A significant injury indeed..... Nevertheless a large area around the damage is cut away and an repair alloy weld built up, this is then shaped and....

post-2-1300392957.jpg

post-2-1300392971.jpg

post-2-1300392982.jpg

Cost £130 excluding a refurb for the finish.

Even if a spoke was missing it could still be repaired :)

Just how safe is the repair though, is any form of testing done afterwards to check it's still strong enough?

That would be my concern as well i guess the repair can never be as strong as the original but its still probably stronger than many aftermarket wheels

But aircraft don't have potholes to hit or other imperfections in the road to tackle. I would just be thinking that if you hit a hole hard enough the piece that's been welded will snap off!

Having said that I know if you didn't think the repair was safe enough you wouldn't do it :)

But aircraft don't have potholes to hit or other imperfections in the road to tackle. I would just be thinking that if you hit a hole hard enough the piece that's been welded will snap off!

Having said that I know if you didn't think the repair was safe enough you wouldn't do it :tongue2:

Thats what i thought, but if the dr says it goes....it goes :)

good point Tony, i think people need to remember (or be introduced to) the fact that welding isnt glueing metal to metal, its actually melting two metals together essentially making a single piece. Unlike glueing where the are two pieces and a bond between, welding melts the two metals into a pool which cools combining the two metals.

Im sure if you use a welding metal that is of the same properties as the original wheel then it is in fact simply a new wheel.

I may also add, glueing parts together is by no means a bad way to do things.

they glue a lot of planes bits together, and look at the lotus elise, they are glued chassis.

Welding as long as it is dont properly is stronger than the original wheel ( normal factory jobbie anyway!)

Welding a forged alloy would not be a good idea though.

No they dont but.........imagine how hard a planes landing gear hits the tarmac when landing. :)

No they dont but.........imagine how hard a planes landing gear hits the tarmac when landing. :)

Isn't that why they have very thick profile tyres though to absorb that.

Point is it's permitted to repair key aircraft components providing it's to highest standard, our wheel repairs reach such a standard.

The original alloy broke because it hit a curb, the repair will do the same, hit a bad pothole it might crack but what it won't do is "fall out".

Top job that... :censored:

My mate had 2 new tyres fitted to the front of his VW scirocco....mick i believe it was fitted the tyres and found the NSF wheel had a small crack on the inside ( good spot by him ) and so it got sorted by the wheel man who comes on wednesdays and done a great job... :angry2:

All in all my mate was really happy with the service and dedication taken by WIM and all the people involved.!

So big thanx to Mick & Tony B and all the guys @ WIM.. :censored:

Lets say he will only be coming to WIM now for tyres and geo..!!! :D

• 3 weeks later...

No they dont but.........imagine how hard a planes landing gear hits the tarmac when landing. :D

Isn't that why they have very thick profile tyres though to absorb that.

not just that ER. dont dont forget how much load the wings are under on take off / flight. they are carrying the whole aircrafts weight :(