Brake dust

Tango

Washed and waxed the IS-F over the week-end including using Bilberry to clean the BBS rims with my new long reach wheel brush. Was about to finish them off with Poorboys Wheel Sealant but I could feel brake dust embedded in the finish so just spent the last couple of hours claying the rims :( .

The rims are now baby bum smooth and hopefully the Poorboys will delay having to do it again for a while. The Bilberry wheel cleaner is pretty good, but it looks like the stuff that comes off the pads is hot enough to stick to the laquer so the Bilberry doesn't remove it.

Different pad material effects the wheels.... Differently. I recall some time back a well respected company fitted performance pads to a car and the dust ate the wheels finish to the extent they needed to be refurbished.

Another good mark for the Prius. It makes the least brake dust of any car I have ever owned. I read of people driving them for tens of thousands of miles without needing to change brake pads. I looked up posts on Priuschat and there is a bloke there with 160,000 on the clock and still running his original pads.

Iron X removes metal fillings, clay is more for overspray and tar.

But my front pads are Hawk Ceramics, so I either had ferrous material still in the paint from the OEM pads or my ceramic pads are shedding non ferrous material which is adhering to the surface, in which case 'Iron X' wil not work.

Another good mark for the Prius. It makes the least brake dust of any car I have ever owned. I read of people driving them for tens of thousands of miles without needing to change brake pads. I looked up posts on Priuschat and there is a bloke there with 160,000 on the clock and still running his original pads.

Does the Prius not regenerate the battery when braking? I imagine this reduces the load on the pads.

Does the Prius not regenerate the battery when braking? I imagine this reduces the load on the pads.

Exactly. Under normal (as opposed to heavy or emergency) braking there is no mechanical braking until the car speed is down to about 7 or 8 m.p.h.

You arent alone , lots of people clay wheels including myself

My OZ wheels came off a track car and had pad material baked on the inside where it had sprayed off the disc , in places it was a couple off mm thick , in the end i had to use brick acid to shift it , i clayed and polished the wheels before applying FK1000p sealant