To the point.........

Tony

There's been a couple of times when I've nearly hit a bike cos I didn't see them, they were in my blind spot...I don't think it's fair to put all the blame on car drivers though, which seems to be the case with the number of bike adverts on TV.

Yes some drivers don't look properly and can't drive considerately but like I said you can't always see bikers due to blind spots or they do stupid speeds cos they're difficult to catch!! :lol: Was only last night I was going 50mph on the A127 (it is a 50 zone) and a biker came up beside me from no where and was long gone in the blink of an eye so was excessively speeding. It would've only taken for me to change lanes and he would've been a goner...one second there would've been nothing in the mirror the next there is. So I still stand by what I say, all of the blame doesn't fall on car drivers.

Agreed some bikers are total tossers with no regard for speed, but a majority respect the limits, i did and got knocked off three times.

Like the biker who went over my uncles car years ago, he was turning out of a junction (30 zone) and it was all clear so pulled out and he came from now where, the bike went under, biker over! The police estimated he was doing 90mph and he was lucky he just broke some bones! :lol:

A biker got me ( well my car ) some years ago at main traffic lights into Birmingham. I waited for green, all was clear and I started to move, he t-boned in the drivers door. he had come across on red and gambled, he was wearing glasses which smashed and he went over the top and scratched the roof as he did. Fortunately the guy in the next lane stopped and gave me details as a witness, also fortunately for me I reported it to the police thinking he may have got glass in his eyes as well as bruises and maybe fractures. Police prosecuted and he pleaded guilty at court - then his insurance paid up.

There's been a couple of times when I've nearly hit a bike cos I didn't see them, they were in my blind spot...I don't think it's fair to put all the blame on car drivers though, which seems to be the case with the number of bike adverts on TV.

All three accidents that I had on my bike were caused by car drivers, so I may have a basis for disagreeing with you. The worst possible feeling on a bike is seeing the drivers of cars doing the 'look right, look left, look right again' and you realise they seem to be looking through you, not at you.

IMHO it's only the car drivers that used to be bikers, that look for bikes.

Bikers are their own worst enemy quite often, I followed one on Weds on the motorway weaving through the cars at around 100mph.

When I used to ride bikes (Self-confessed speed freak) i used to find riders on smaller bikes trying to overtake me in stupid places just trying to prove something, I've given up on bikes now , road bikes arent fast enough (I know that sounds stupid but i used to ride dragbikes) and the old cliche of having lost too many friends

Yes, car drivers are not perfect, nor are bike riders.

What's needed by both parties is defensive driving, looking ahead, seeing the car at the junction and expecting him to pull out on you, as opposed to thinking, "He's seen me, he won't pull out"

Seeing a bike in the rear view mirror, next time you look he's not there. Where did he go? pulled off or blind spot?

h

Totally agree that taking a little extra care for bikers is a good idea, but I must also agree that because of their vulnerability bikers should also take a little more about their wellbeing.

I regularly use the A13 and often returning home in the evenings I get stuck in traffic jams. In the summer it's not really a problem, but in the winter it's sometimes quite hard not to hit bikers.

In the dark when it's raining, when you look in your door mirror all you can see are a see of headlights masked by the raindrops all over the glass and the reflections off the wet road. So you'd think bikers wouldn't be stupid enough to just fly down through the middle of cars when they are pretty much invisible, but they do! At least some of them are sensible and stick their hazards on, that way you can easily see that there's a bike coming down the middle.

Yes, car drivers are not perfect, nor are bike riders.

What's needed by both parties is defensive driving, looking ahead, seeing the car at the junction and expecting him to pull out on you, as opposed to thinking, "He's seen me, he won't pull out"

h

especially if it happens to be a white 924.... :lol:

I've always quite fancied getting myself a bike, and i would be a defensive rider - but as my old man always says to me 'its not you - its other people'... i think there's only so far you can be defensive before you have you trust the other party to follow the law of the road and to not to do something stupid, like pull out on you.

Its for that reason why i haven't pursued getting on 2 wheels.

Dont get me started on bad drivers not seeing bikers.

Everytime i went out on my bike i assumed every car driver was out to kill me!!!

A car driver that doesn't hold a bike license doesn't have a clue what we have to put up with on the roads, i would make car drivers between the ages of 17 and 55 to ride a bike for a week then they would make sure they do see bikers,the average car driver cannot judge how fast a biker is coming towards them and they have a holier than though attitude to bikers a card rivers get out clause is.....

SMIDSY............. :rolleyes: