Rich's 2003 Honda Accord 2.4 Tourer Auto

Rich

Just been for a blast down the dual carriageway and really worked the brakes. No smoke or smell when I got home but will keep an eye on it. The other side actually felt warmer than the side I cleaned so that definitely needs doing as well.

Was fine when I got to work earlier nice and cool so looks that way. I can understand a little grime getting in under the seal but the whole piston was covered so it must be worn to the point the seal needs replacing.

Coming home from Hemel on the M25 and a big stone hit the windscreen, scared the hell out of me! Got a nice chip and crack now on the drivers side but it's low down. Better get onto Admiral and see if it can be repaired!

On the plus side the brake seems ok now.

Had the CRV done 2 weeks ago through Admiral. They tried a repair but i wasnt happy so ended up costing £75 for a new screen. Its £25 for a repair but depending on how hard it hit, you may need a new screen. Our stone hit was in the lower corner out of the way of the wipers but it cracked the inner layer of glass as well. Chap said it would pass and MOT but I just couldn't help it looked terrible. Just as bad as before. Outside looked ok but inside the car it was bad.

Admiral never used to charge for repairs a few years ago but I think this might be a replacement screen, there are 2 impact points so it must have been a rough stone/small rock. It hit so fast I didn't even see it!

I have never had a cracked or chipped windscreen before, nothing I've ever noticed anyway. The day I picked this car up I got one on the passenger side, only small though and now this!

From one end of the crack to the other it's about the size of a 10p coin and the photo is taken from inside.

WP_20150302_08_07_53_Pro.jpg

That looks quite big, but yes they started charging for repairs a while back. Also shows up on your list of claims which came as a bit of a surprise to me when I first saw it!

I thought glass claims were separate from other ones and didn't show, does it affect premiums and do you have to declare claims to other insurers?

If its bigger than a 20p coin then its a replacement screen. Thats what they told me a few weeks back. Guy tried a repair but you will be looking at £75 for a replacement.

You can have a look later but I'm hoping they can repair it, not ideal spending £75 when we're going away soon.

I should probably add that when i called to get it repaired... it wasn't Admiral i spoke to. It was the fitters direct even though the number was from Admiral's web site. From reading you dont have to disclose windscreen repairs at renewal.

Was that the 0844 number Iain, 24 hour claim? I'll ring them tonight then.

Do you just book it in and show them your insurance certificate if you don't deal with Admiral directly?

Was that the 0844 number Iain, 24 hour claim? I'll ring them tonight then.

Do you just book it in and show them your insurance certificate if you don't deal with Admiral directly?

Yep just give them your policy number on the phone and show them the certificate when they turn up.

Looks like I can book online :)

http://www.autoglass.co.uk/index.php?id=37085

Edit - It asks if it's smaller/larger than a £2 coin so I'll have to check the size first but it also says if you have 2 chips close together it'll need replacing. Looks like £75 is going their way! :(

Yea the one on the site. They didnt even ask for a copy of the policy. Just turned up and said they would sort it with the insurance in the background. 

If i remember, it need to be more than 7CM from the edge of the screen and smaller than a 20p coin for a repair. Also if its in the line of the wipers and its that size, a replacement is likely. When i booked, they took the £75 over the phone. The chap that came out said he would try a repair as that would only cost £25 and refund me, if it failed he had a windscreen in the van. So worth getting them to bring one anyway to save two trips if it cant be repaired. 

Looks like they've changed companies then.

I'm certain it's bigger than 20p, there are 2 impact points and there is also the passenger side chip so I think it'll be replaced.

What are they like with removing things on the windscreen like the rain sensor for the wipers?

On the plus side it'll save me cleaning where the tax disc holder is once I remove it! :D

• 2 weeks later...

So 2 weeks after cleaning the caliper I thought the car was holding back slightly going to work, got out and sure enough the same brake was hot but not smoking like last time. When I removed it last time the wheel did turn ok although dragged slightly on the handbrake shoes but I don't think these are the culprit as the disc shows signs on the edges where it's got hot.

As it's been ok for 2 weeks I'm thinking it can't be the flexi hose at fault otherwise cleaning the caliper/piston wouldn't of made any difference? To save me messing about with cleaning them again, which will probably result in the same outcome I think I'll order today 2 new calipers, flexi hoses and slider pins and be done with it. That'll cost me £140 + the surcharge.

I've not arranged the appointment for the windscreen yet but I really didn't need this on top 3 weeks before we go away, it's going to eat into my spending money! :(

The trouble is if I order today they won't come until Monday and I can't fit until Thursday. I'll have to clean it again over the weekend and hope it's ok for those 3 days.

Do you have any tips on undoing the nut where the pipe joins the flexi hose? I tried to replace one on the Corolla before and I couldn't undo it and was twisting the pipe itself so stopped before I snapped it.