Time to fit the winter tyres

Rich

Had a nice layer of frost/ice on the cars this morning so I think it's time to change them on the Civic - it seems to have got colder later this year.

This will be by first winter in a couple of years with no winter tyres - I hope we don't get any snow, I won't be able use the country lanes to get home! :lol: Yes I know I survived for years before that without them but I have got used to them now.

I'm just biding my time to swap mine over. I want to clean the summer wheels and tyres before I get them changed as I don't won't dirty wheels going in the storage bags. Also still undecided as to whether try and find somewhere flat to change them myself or get a tyre shop to swap them over.

Lat year it was £48 to fit tyres to wheels, balance and swap with summers. They don't need balancing - just swap. For £20 it's not worth me getting my hands dirty but if it were £48 then I would .............. I'll call a few places later.

Lat year it was £48 to fit tyres to wheels, balance and swap with summers. They don't need balancing - just swap. For £20 it's not worth me getting my hands dirty but if it were £48 then I would .............. I'll call a few places later.

I'm sure one garage would do it for £20, it's not going to take much time.

Wimps :D

Nah, I'm just wondering how a big heavy estate with 225 tyres is going to handle getting up the hill to where I live now. The Mondeo with 215 tyres struggled a few years ago and then got stuck!

I have not used snow socks but I'm not a patient person and I can see me getting the arse with them! My plan is to get some 16" alloys for winter anyway so might as well fit winter tyres to them.

Well min winter wheels and tyres are fitted, phoned up the guys that did them last year and he just said bring them down. So I did, swapped them over, checked the pressures and I put £15 in his pocket ( that's a £5 each for the three of them ). I'm happy and so are they :)

I put mine on at the weekend. Straight swap of alloys on the Jetta with the summer wheels coming off and getting cleaned before being put away, and the already clean winter wheels going on. The van got a treat, a set of four Toyo Snowprox S943 tyres on, and new shockers on the rear. I've been out in the van a few times and done about 300 miles on them, and I have to say they're a step up from the S942 I had on last year. Much better grip and less road noise.

The maximum temperature in our back garden has been bouncing gently around the 7C mark in the last few days (for the first time since it went above that line last April) so it is probably a good time to put on winter boots.

7C is a significant temperature in gardening also so I have been busy finishing my winter bedding plantings before it gets too cold. However, that is finished now and I hope to find time to change to my winter wheels in the next few days.

Well I got them out of the shed and pumped them up, going to swap them over tomorrow. I need to hurry up and get a new car myself, the Ibiza only has budget tyres and the fronts are almost on the limit! :mellow:

As Tony may remember I sized my Pirelli Sotto Zero winter tyres on my original 17" IS250 Rims to fit the Lexus IS200 Sport, but also to fit a Rav4 which I intended to replace the IS200 with.

Original plan now scuppered as, although my wife now as a AWD Rav4, my son has snatched the IS200. Just hope the RAV copes with all wheel drive on all weather tyres. The ISF doesn't move from the garage if the temperature goes much below 7 degrees C.