Ferrari 360 Spider

parthiban

This is what's there at the moment, to be honest I don't want to make any major changes and I prefer the aluminium - no plans for audio or anything, just want nav really and dislike the flip out screens. No I haven't seen that double din installed, it looks like a neat job but you're right it might look horrible in the flesh.

post-1222-0-27094800-1390558703.jpg

Ferrari have just brought out their own solution which would be good to keep things kind of OEM, but I still don't really like the flip out screen.

20140331_1_lp_genuine_multimedia.jpg

It's a shame no one does any single DIN nav units any more as that would be all I really need - there is the Parrot Asteroid but that seems to have really bad reviews. Maybe I'll just stick to using my phone and be done with it :)

I'd leave it as it is, if it looks so good why change it?

Yep it's not an aesthetic thing, I just want nav and a reverse cam, and it would also be good to have a headunit that can play off an iPod and stuff. I'm not planning any audio install or anything because it's pretty much pointless with that engine, it's a convenience thing more than anything else.

How odd.... I really like the look of the flip-out screen.

So do I, it looks pretty cool but we all have our own tastes :)

Funnily enough I am warming to it a bit, but I still find flip out screens look very aftermarket, which feels a bit out of place in this kind of car. But maybe I'm just being silly :)

But it is OEM equipment isn't it?

Well sort of, it's something they recently introduced to offer ICE for older cars - it's just a rebadged Clarion unit that I'm sure they're going to sell at a massive markup for the Ferrari logos. If I really wanted to go OEM this would be the thing to buy but this is a lot of money for something that is probably a bit useless in reality. Plus I'd like to get a reverse cam to aid parking.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FERRARI-BECKER-CASCADE-BE7907-CD-MP3-AUX-IN-BLUETOOTH-NAVIGATION-/281350664818?pt=UK_In_Car_Technology&hash=item4181ce7272

There's a PH article on the Ferrari stuff here: http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1398079

Unfortunately I do agree with many of the forum comments underneath  :unsure:

Those comments are a joke.... Dismiss them from memory as internet trash traffic attention seeking.

Reversing cam is a must given my experience with the Lotus and Lambo...... A few £100 for the cam or a few K for a bumper?

The comments are a bit OTT but I do sort of get where they're coming from, it's also the reason I'm not a huge fan of flip out screens. I need something though, the more I use the car the more I need a reverse cam - even in the garage I need to get it right up against the wall for it to fit so a cam is becoming an important requirement.

I'm leaning towards just going for it, there's no other way to add nav and reverse cam without messing around too much with the interior which I'm not overly keen on as you've all mentioned above as well.

Now, do I go for the Ferrari branded unit which costs £1,350 or the original Clarion unit (identical but without the Ferrari logo) for £550  :rolleyes:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-clarion-nz502e_p-27662.htm?id=pla&gclid=CPyFptflhb8CFeFAMgodXA0AIw

The comments are a bit OTT but I do sort of get where they're coming from, it's also the reason I'm not a huge fan of flip out screens. I need something though, the more I use the car the more I need a reverse cam - even in the garage I need to get it right up against the wall for it to fit so a cam is becoming an important requirement.

I'm leaning towards just going for it, there's no other way to add nav and reverse cam without messing around too much with the interior which I'm not overly keen on as you've all mentioned above as well.

Now, do I go for the Ferrari branded unit which costs £1,350 or the original Clarion unit (identical but without the Ferrari logo) for £550 :rolleyes:

http://www.caraudiocentre.co.uk/product_m-clarion-nz502e_p-27662.htm?id=pla&gclid=CPyFptflhb8CFeFAMgodXA0AIw

I think you know the answer, £800 for a badge is abit OTT! ;)

Yep, £100 maybe but no way I'm paying £800 for that logo simply printed on to the surface!

Does anyone else make this sort of all in one unit now? It looks like the big players are all moving towards double din units so the navigation units are separate items for the single din flip out screens.

I have a Pioneer F-60 DAB going in mine, full DAB functions, DVD, external AV inputs, reverse camera inputs plus awesome connectivity with the iPhone or Androids.... Costly though mate, but it is the top unit Pioneer currently make and the very latest model. 

The F-60DAB is expensive, but it has a full 7" touchscreen panel. they do a cheaper unit with a 6.1" screen (inc Navigation & Reverse cam input etc) which can be had for about £150 or so less the F-950 or F960 I think, and I think one or both of those have a bluetooth handsfree kit built in like mine. Not certain of the full specs but a google search will give you all the info you need pal. 

That one's a double din though, can't fit one of those in without making more serious dash modifications unfortunately.

So far the Clarion is the only all in one - not too bothered about the cost necessarily but I'd rather not have to house a separate navigation unit somewhere else in the car.

that is the benefit of a Double DIN vs Flip Out screen, surely there must be some good looking options for a Double DIN unit?

The best option I've come across so far is the one I posted earlier (as below), but it does alter the dash somewhat (and I have no idea what it costs!):

nav-unit-installed.jpg

post-1222-0-27094800-1390558703.jpg

If you are not a fan of the Carbon effect, a local bodyshop could paint it to match the aluminium as stock, or other colour you required. I quite like the Carbon look especially when lacquered to a top gloss finish. It would match your Carbon paddles......

If you are not a fan of the Carbon effect, a local bodyshop could paint it to match the aluminium as stock, or other colour you required. I quite like the Carbon look especially when lacquered to a top gloss finish. It would match your Carbon paddles......

It's not so much the carbon, but dramatically altering the interior - it just feels a bit wrong. At least with a flip out screen once it folds away the dash is still pretty much as Ferrari intended it. Bit weird I know, but I'm starting to think that's the lesser of two evils.

Thanks guys, I think if I were to do it the way I'd want it it would get crazy expensive (double din surround in aluminium to match the original, and I'd want the climate control bit not to just bolt on underneath but merge with the dash better and be covered in leather.

Also a bit concerned about the cost - would rather spend that money on the car than on the audio which is a bit irrelevant in something like this. All that custom work plus the cost of the headunit and you could quite quickly be up to £3k+. Whereas the single DIN route is just £550 and I'm done, and I'm not fiddling with the car too much. That does seem to be the most sensible option :)

Does anyone still make single DIN nav units (without the flip out screen)? Something like that Porsche Classic stereo at the end of the PH thread I posted earlier would be perfect and totally in keeping with this era of car:

Detail-Porsche-Navigationsgeraet-fotosho

If using a screen that small you might as well use a free app on your phone, I think all things being considered including custom modifying work, the fact as a stereo it won't be used much, plus overall costs etc, I would either just buy a Garmin and leave in the glovebox until needed, or the single DIN Clarion option