Ferrari 360 Spider

parthiban

I use a cteck on my cars , perfect for weekend toys

My first time using a tender but happy with it so far, should hopefully keep the battery in prime condition.

What's cteck :huh:

It's a battery tender, keeps the battery in it's optimum condition. It's not just a charger, it constantly assesses the battery and alters how much current it applies accordingly.

This is the one I installed: http://www.ctek.com/gb/en/chargers/MXS%205.0

What as in the battery being sensitive or the electrics in general.

The electrics - so it's good to keep the battery in good condition so it always offers the right amount of power.

Jump starting a Ferrari is seemingly a very serious no-no so that is never an option!

Really..... I didn't know that.

Jump starting it in the traditional way can actually blow the ECUs and other electrics so not good obviously. It's not recommended, but in an absolute emergency the only place you can sort of safely jump it from are the terminals behind the seats (where I've wired the tender in).

So if you get a flat battery you either need to remove it, take it home to charge and then bring it back to the car or get a tow truck?

What causes the ECU to blow then?

You can jump it off the remote terminals behind the seat in an emergency, but even then it isn't recommended. It's jumping from the battery terminals that is a definite no-no. I think ideally it is recommended to hook up another battery (or power unit) for a short while to hopefully give the battery enough power to start the engine off its own power.

Not really sure what the problem is, I'd assume it's not very good wiring!

Maybe a poor voltage regulator?

Possibly, the circuit on which the battery sits must not have any protection built in. Although if jumping from another car/power pack, the actual voltage/current being provided should be similar to that being offered by the actual battery?

What i don't get is a jump start is from another battery, not the national grid so why does the same voltage blow the ECU? 

Voicey explains it better here than I ever could: http://aldousvoice.com/2012/08/21/jump-starting-a-flat-battery/

It's the drop in voltage when disconnecting the other battery rather than the actual jump start that is the problem.

Electrics is not something the Italians have ever been that good with but its not unique to the Fezza many cars now have dedicated points to connect jump leads very rarely do you stick them straight onto the battery

Electrics is not something the Italians have ever been that good with but its not unique to the Fezza many cars now have dedicated points to connect jump leads very rarely do you stick them straight onto the battery

Is that just cars like this with batteries in unusual locations or even more mainstream cars with batteries in the engine compartment?

It's weird as most of the electrical components in the Ferrari seem to be Bosch, but even then don't seem great.

Just be pleased it's not an Alfa :sad01_anim:

All owned by the same people aren't they?  :whistle:

I know the F1 pump in the 360 is the same as the one for the Alfa Selespeed (which makes a cheaper replacement if required!)

To be fair from everything I've read Ferraris are quite reliable. There are a few niggles here and there as with any car, but if you respect it and do all the right maintenance, it shouldn't cause any major issues.

Is that just cars like this with batteries in unusual locations or even more mainstream cars with batteries in the engine compartment?

It's weird as most of the electrical components in the Ferrari seem to be Bosch, but even then don't seem great.

My Skodas have jump leads points , in fact my old Skylines did as well , not sure about the zed so yes many mainstream cars

Its a standing joke about Italian electrics really , the bikes are just as bad , no idea why , at least they do some things good unlike British stuff :)