What's happened to my tyres!

Rich

Over the past week I've noticed the fronts aren't very grippy on the damp or frosty roads. Pulling away at normal speed is setting off the TC on a few roads. Going slowly round a roundabout I could feel the front losing grip and just opening up the throttle a little bit is making the wheels twitch side to side as they lose grip. It's almost like I'm on budget tyres!

Tyres are Goodyear Ultra Grip 7 and only done 4k miles so loads of tread left. They've been fine the whole of winter until this week. What's happened?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pressures are always checked regularly, tread is even, last Geo was before Xmas. They have 2-3mm until the sipes are gone.

Have been fine for the last 14 months even in the summer when it's wet but warmer. They were brilliant until after the snow went and then the performance has dropped off.

If there's frost on the road it was obviously under 7 degrees. Was around 1-4 degrees most mornings going to work.

Air temperature on my max and min thermometer yesterday: 4c to 0c and it has been very similar now for over a week. Some days were colder than yesterday, none were warmer.

Thats strange because last Monday was very mild , 10 degrees here , and according to forecast it was 10 degrees in Ampthill as well

http://uk.weather.com/weather/10day-Ampthill-UKXX0491

Not the clutch as got none of those symptoms, seems fine. After talking to Tony earlier he thinks it might be a residue on them. I went for a blast down the motorway hitting lift a few times and they seemed fine. Temperature was 3 degrees and road was damp from drizzle.

Something I have noticed as well is the TC kicks in when pulling out of junctions with slight inclines, despite keeping the revs low.

Air temperature on my max and min thermometer yesterday: 4c to 0c and it has been very similar now for over a week. Some days were colder than yesterday, none were warmer.

Thats strange because last Monday was very mild , 10 degrees here , and according to forecast it was 10 degrees in Ampthill as well

http://uk.weather.co...pthill-UKXX0491

Where is the weather station? I measure it in our north facing the back garden. I take a walk most mornings and note the conditions in my diary. It says it was a bright sunny morning, but bitterly cold. I have no record of the temperature rising above 4C since last Sunday - it's reading 2C at the moment.

My max/min thermometer is a bit old and battered; perhaps I need a new one . . . . :)

P.S. I have just answered my own question about the weather station. It is measured in Bedford, some 20km away and on the other side of the greensand ridge, so I wouldn't be surprised to find significant differences occasionally.

Could be but the council don't grit the local roads, just the main ones.

I had to drive home from Essex/East London tonight in horrible snow/sleet and the tyres seemed fine, no loss of grip. I'll see what it's like going to work on Tuesday and if it's any better around those roads.

Could be but the council don't grit the local roads, just the main ones.

I had to drive home from Essex/East London tonight in horrible snow/sleet and the tyres seemed fine, no loss of grip. I'll see what it's like going to work on Tuesday and if it's any better around those roads.

The grit and other stuff they put in the grit, does get dragged all over the place, and will have got on your tyres.  Without doubt, things are more slippery at the moment - I couldn't get mine to pull away from a roundabout, or go around the next one with the rear trailing the front on Saturday, just a few hours after it had been WIMed (so I know there's not much massively wrong with the car itself). I put it down to all the grit on the motorway junction getting washed down in the rain, and dragged down by cars.

I'm wondering if I'm driving through something everyday that's been spilt but not cleaned up.

No snow due here until 4-5pm and it's suppose to be heavy but then we're having heavy rain, which should clear most of it. That's if you can believe the weather forecast anyway!

• 2 weeks later...

Still got this issue :(

I wanted to turn right yesterday at a crossroad and someone let me go so accelerated abit quicker and the front wheels just span! The road was damp as it was spitting rain and it was on a different road to ones I normally use.

I'm going to swap the fronts for rears at the weekend but would scrubbing the tread with a degreaser help or would pulling away quickly in the dry do the same thing?

If it was the actual tyre at fault what could the problem be with them?