What's happened to my tyres!

Rich

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

part worn tyre

:sad01_anim:

I'm the same but I'm not shelling out £££ for new tyres when I want to sell the car. I'm only using it for work ATM so only 5 miles each way, nothing heavy.

Tony has suggested I contact Goodyear and tell them what has been happening, so I'll see what response I get.

Wow these sound really bad, what does the surface of the tyre look/feel like?

Looks fine, even wear, the sipes are still there....completely baffled by it. I should've just bought budgets!

• 5 months later...

Thought I would give this a bump.

I have been running the pressures at 28psi over the summer and they have been ok-ish in the damp or when I've driven in rain. I could still feel the lack of grip when cornering sometimes but the tyres never let go.

Yesterday I upped them to 32psi, which is the recommended pressure and I drove the car this morning in light drizzle and damp roads. Temperature was 10 degrees and the tyres felt less grippy like before. I will give it a couple of days before I lower them again to 28psi and see how they are in the wet and as it gets colder.

I am keeping the car until next year now and I'm abit concerned about how these are going to behave in the very cold mornings and snow/ice when it comes, especially now that I live on top of a hill! As I said when I started this thread they were brilliant last winter and got me up a very steep hill in the snow but the performance dropped off around January.

Another concern is running them at 28psi. I have been keeping an eye on the tyre wear but would I encounter any other problems running this pressure?

Given the trend not to check the tyre pressure 28psi is better than most..... I do wonder sometimes if the transition from the low profile tyres you had on the Mondeo is making you read the current profile incorrectly in regard to the tyres slip angle.

The thing is I'm also comparing these to the Civic, which grips the road no problem on it's summer and winter tyres, those tyres are 185/60/15.

My tyres are 195/55/16, which is the standard size, although alot of owners do recommend 205/50/16 as they offer more grip.

The Mondeo had 215/45/17 tyres and the grip was fantastic on that, if I didn't use budget tyres!

Even if you're right it doesn't explain why for the first rear of having these tyres they were brilliant no matter what the weather/road conditions, their behaviour just changed overnight.