What's happened to my tyres!

Rich

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes I know but nothing is impossible. What could be causing it if it wasn't the tyres though, the wet grip just seemed to die overnight with these and they're not even worn to the sipes yet. I noticed the issue after all the snow we had, something to do with that maybe?

The Dunlop on the Civic are brilliant though, really grippy still.

What would cause the compound to go off?

Before the snow/ice they were brilliant in the wet, so grippy I could take corners confidently and accelerate from a standstill without the traction control kicking in. Once all the snow/ice went they've been behaving like this.

I will say it's more when pulling away I'm having issues or cornering, accelerating in a straight line (while moving) and braking hard both seem ok.

It seems to be happening in different areas. At first I thought it was the same roads but yesterday I went somewhere different and it happened.

Most of the time it happens soon after I've started driving so could be a tyre temperature problem. I don't do long journeys though to compare.

I did drive the car to East London 2 weekends ago though and it started to snow/sleet when I left and it seemed to be ok but I was taking it easy cos of the weather.

You would think the grip would be better when hot.

I'm going to have to take the car on a longer drive to get some heat into them and then go on the roads I usually travel on when this happens and see if it does.

If at the start of journeys then it does sound like it might be temp related. Will be interesting to see if this goes away when the temps rise a bit (hopefully very soon!)

It's a right laugh on the F1s at the moment for the first few minutes of a journey when they're ice cold, it feels like have 2 or 3 times the power with how easily it spins up the wheels. Even more comical is that hitting the power at 4.5k revs in a straight line can set off the traction control too  :lol:

Just got home and when I left the business park I turned right at the roundabout doing 15mph and felt the car sliding. I can only describe it as like driving on ice, I steer one way, the wheels want to go another!

Yes I'm on winter tyres, which is why I'm surprised this is happening, if they were summer tyres I could understand it.

It wasn't as bad this morning, I was trying to get the wheels to spin by pulling away quickly but it never happened. I did feel them going slightly when turning right at a roundabout but I was trying to make it happen so going faster than I normally would on damp roads.

I'll swap them over at the weekend and see how I get on with that.

Another thing I've noticed is the steering has been feeling lighter as well, even though the tyres are on 30-31 psi, the recommended is 32.

This morning the road seemed dry-ish with a few damp patches and I was steering left at a roundabout (didn't need to stop) doing no more than 15 mph when it felt like it was oversteering. The fronts just seemed to turn in too much and the traction control kicked in but I kept it in a straight line to carry on.

Another thing I've noticed is the steering has been feeling lighter as well, even though the tyres are on 30-31 psi, the recommended is 32.

This morning the road seemed dry-ish with a few damp patches and I was steering left at a roundabout (didn't need to stop) doing no more than 15 mph when it felt like it was oversteering. The fronts just seemed to turn in too much and the traction control kicked in but I kept it in a straight line to carry on.

Interesting that your front tyres sound like they had grip and the rears not - makes it sound even more like a tyre temp issue as the rears will take longer to heat up with a FWD car.

Either way this sounds exactly like what the F1s are like on my car, I'm really surprised you're getting this on winter tyres - does sound like there's something wrong with them.

Yes I said it felt like it was oversteering but I don't think it actually was. I was turning left and the wheels seemed to turn too much when they lost grip if you get what I mean but the rear stayed where it was, which is why I didn't spin. I've had the same thing happen on the Mondeo before in the wet on budget tyres.

Driving the car this morning when it was dry the steering felt quite light. I said to Tony it was almost like I had overinflated the tyres and had lost some grip, even though the pressures are 30/31 psi.

I then swapped the fronts over with the rears and went for a drive. It felt slightly better I think but TBH I wasn't convinced but it had warmed up abit more as well. Accelerating quickly and driving at speed the car feels abit light/floaty at the front but I'll see what it's like when it's a cold damp morning or rains.

Are the tyres the same load rating as your summer tyres.

I don't have summer tyres so don't know. I got these about a month after getting the car as the ones it came with were all mixed and difference depths. How can I find out what they should be?

This morning was abit strange, the steering felt heavier to start with and then became lighter. The first roundabout I come to where I have been spinning the wheels happened again so I think there might be something on the road there (or it's the tarmac) as the lightness happened soon afterwards. It never used to be like this last year though, no matter what the weather.

I don't think so. On the motorway yesterday it just felt light at the front, like there wasn't as much grip. I can't drop the pressures anymore as they're already under the recommended value.