Winter/summer tyres

Tony

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent and timely post Tony.

Funnily enough I was looking on eBay for steel wheels today for the Focus, just to see how much it would cost to equip it up with some winter tyres. Unfortunately ( a bit like Rich ), it seems a bit of an unknown over which wheels will fit. Seems that a 16 going down to 15 fouls the brakes, so mine a 17 going down to 16 or 15 I don't know. Presumably for these fouls to happen the brakes are different on the cars or is it the offset or something on the wheels? Not sure where reliable information can be obtained on this.

Ah, OK. So that means I need to check first ( with Ford ) as to which wheels would fit. I am ( the non-paying ) owners club so will ask there first and seek some opinions.

Check your owners manual or tyre placard for a list of recommended sizes too. The placard is probably in the door frame on the lower left corner. Nt such if it's passenger or driver's side tho.

I lived in Canada for a while where we had winter tyres fitted when the weather got bad but over here I worry more about whether the car behind me has winter tyres more than myself.

If the weather continues like the past 2 years i think i may end up getting a spare set of rims with winter tyres

OK - so the econetic comes with 15 inch wheels for economy, all the others apart from ST & RS come with 16 inch as standard.

As mine has an option of sport pack this is why it has 17 inch wheels, sports suspension ( I didn't know that ) and privacy glass. So would sports suspension effect fitting of the wheels ( I guess it's coils and shocks )? If not then I can certainly go down to 16 inch.

Yes, 5 studs. Been looking on fleebay but not much doing in sets of four in 16 inch. I seem to remember reading that winter tyres ( or at least some makes ) only go up to 16 inch.

It's just a precaution for if I get a job as if I'm sat at home then the car won't be going more than a few miles apart from picking my son up at Manchester Airport and taking him back to Heathrow at Xmas. It's -11 day and -12 night where he is and by next week will be -13 and -16 :rolleyes: Snow is between 4 and 10 inches at the moment there.

Ive just put my winter wheels back on ( "14" steelies with Vredstein tyres ) and the tyre noise is so different to the summer tyres( "15" alloys with Avon tyres ) the winter tyres are sooooo noisy and the steering input is a little slow and delayed ( but still really grippy )...just not as responsive as the summer avon`s......but id rather have better grip in the cold/snow/slush conditions any day...

Best way to cancel the noise out is to turn the stereo up.!!! ;)

I got a Focus Zetec 57 reg, and last year I actually got a set of 15" steelies from Ford, and low and behold they DO NOT FIT, for some odd reason they don't clear the front calipers, and this was only discovered at WIM when they were being fitted, even though in the manual and door info both stated 15" would fit.

My Ford dealer thought they got the wrong part but the numbers were correct so on a good will gesture they gave me a refund, but nevertheless a lot of hassle. So if you are planning please go for 16".

I got a Focus Zetec 57 reg, and last year I actually got a set of 15" steelies from Ford, and low and behold they DO NOT FIT, for some odd reason they don't clear the front calipers, and this was only discovered at WIM when they were being fitted, even though in the manual and door info both stated 15" would fit.

My Ford dealer thought they got the wrong part but the numbers were correct so on a good will gesture they gave me a refund, but nevertheless a lot of hassle. So if you are planning please go for 16".

I knew there was issues hence the reason i said about the calipers..... So there ER :wacko:

I knew there was issues hence the reason i said about the calipers..... So there ER :P

Eh?! I never said 15" wheels would fit!! :D

You said the calipers were smaller so implied they would fit! :wacko:

Just this minute got an email saying bear with him until tomorrow so he can check how many he has...yet auction says he has 5 for sale!! It still took him 2 days to send that email though...think I will keep looking anyway. Kettering is an hour and half drive each way as well.

FFS just got this email now!! :wacko: I have a feeling they sold too cheaply!

sorry about this i have just been up to my workshop,and somebody has forced

entry,and took all my car stuff,so unfortunately i have to abandon the sale

as i have nothing to send you,im so sorry,regards gary.