Winter/summer tyres

Tony

Remember it well, depends what's on the other side of the road :rolleyes: I remember Tolpits Lane although it's flat and when I was younger going round there by Moor Park with the family and my mum literally walking in front of the car as the fog was too thick and dad couldn't see the road :eek:

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going from Croxley to the bottom of the hill you have to watch what's coming the other way but on the hill 2 cars can pass easily. If you stop or loose momentum halfway up you're gonna come skidding down though! Doesn't look as steep here

Tolpits Lane is great fun when the conditions allow...a few months ago when I was driving past the turning for Moor Park the road must've been abit greasy and the car wouldn't steer around the bend as the tyres lost traction!! :o Also got to watch for broken branches where the lorries drive down there.

I tried my socks on today. First go was straight back from the shops - fail B)

Went in the house, washed my hands ( I forgot the car gets dirty ), put on some latex garden gloves and tried again. Not a lot of room round the front wheels in the wheel arch is there. Put it about 75% on and rolled the car back about a metre and the rest went on easy. Took it off and drove away from it sorted.

Tried again with it on full lock and much easier, probably 2 minutes a side including moving the car for the final bit and even less to take it off.

Glad I tried it before I needed it, left some latex gloves in with the socks for next time ;)

Going from Croxley

The roads ( hills ) I remember from the bad weather were:

Scots Hill

Batchworth Hill

road up towards Ricky station from Scots Hill

Loudwater ( as mentioned )

Berry Lane up from both the former Happy Man and up from Valley Road

Queens Drive

the hills up from the Three Bridges towards Croxley ( main road ) and the right turn up onto the estate

I am sure there were others but they are the ones that spring to mind.

Glad you got the socks on, good job you had a practise run! I wonder how I would get them on seeing as the car is lowered!

Going from Croxley

The roads ( hills ) I remember from the bad weather were:

Scots Hill

Batchworth Hill

road up towards Ricky station from Scots Hill

Loudwater ( as mentioned )

Berry Lane up from both the former Happy Man and up from Valley Road

Queens Drive

the hills up from the Three Bridges towards Croxley ( main road ) and the right turn up onto the estate

I am sure there were others but they are the ones that spring to mind.

Good memory...start of the year they closed Scots Hill and Berry Lane as you couldn't get up them. You also missed out Highfield Way, I remember one year going up there and it was very icey so slid back down again. Luckily I managed to reverse it into a side road and got back down without hitting anything!!