Photos of animals, pets etc

Rich

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Those spiders would of gone straight under my size 10's !!

Perhaps you would prefer the Small Tortoiseshell that was feeding on the Lavender in our garden this afternoon?

20100708SmallTortoiseshell.jpg

what lens did you use for those?

I used three different lenses, all macro lenses allowing close focusing.

The second spider pic was taken very close up, with the front element of the lens only 41mm from the subject.

I could have used almost anything for the butterfly - it isn't focused very close. In fact I used a 180mm lens set to f/8 to try to get some depth of field.

Smaller cameras can be very good for macro photography. The small sensor and the wide angle lens give good depth of field and they often have a close-up setting that allows very close focusing. Try in good light so that the aperture is closed down.

It amazes me they keep still when you put the lens that close. I've not been able to find many insects or bugs to practise my macro shots but when I have and I go to move in they bugger off! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well as I've sold the bridge camera I took the missus Fuji compact to the farm yesterday. Turned it to manual and there wasn't much you could adjust, lol, so I kept the ISO to 100 and changed the white balance from sunny/cloudy for when it was required. Here's a couple I took and I'm quite pleased with them. Can't wait until I get a DSLR so I can go back and then compare!

photo_01.jpg

photo_02.jpg

photo_03.jpg

photo_04.jpg

deer2.jpg

Here is one i took out of the window with a 400mm lens on my DSLR

and a few taken around the garden

IMG_0040.jpg

IMG_0041-1.jpg

4158.jpg

I've since sold all my DSLR stuff and bought a decent Lumix, too much to carry around

Yeah i had a Canon D60 with some decent lenses it could take great shots but was soo hard to carry about i used to grab my basic Lumix compact all the time and found i rarely used the Canon so sold all the Canon stuff and bought a higher spec Lumix which is great .

Do miss the lenses though , that Deer was in a field opposite from my house and was about 100 yards away and totally wild , if it saw a human it was off

Why was it hard to carry, the weight or bulk of it?

Yeah deer are very sensitive animals, the one I took above would run off at the first sign of movement/sound it didn't recognise.

All the kit you need ie 2 or 3 lenses , camera body , flash , tripod , spare batteries and cards had a huge backpack , my lumix slips in my pocket

Yeah but are the photos it takes as good :)

One I took today of a ladybird with the new camera. I have so much to learn with this but after a quick play with the settings I was happy with this photo. Have included a crop of the ladybird as well :)

ladybird_01.jpg

ladybird_02.jpg

Cheers I was really chuffed with that one, I'm amazed I got those kind of photos with an 18-55 lens, considering it's not a dedicated macro lens. I also used the flash for that one, the one before I didn't but I'm not sure whether I should have or not :) I like it and I guess that's what matters :)

Cheers I was really chuffed with that one, I'm amazed I got those kind of photos with an 18-55 lens, considering it's not a dedicated macro lens. I also used the flash for that one, the one before I didn't but I'm not sure whether I should have or not :) I like it and I guess that's what matters :)

Yeah it's all personal, if you like what you're shooting that's the most important thing, other people only need to like it if you're doing it professionally! Those are great shots though, I'm actually surprised that last one is with the flash on as you normally get highlighted sections, you've done well with that one :)

• 1 month later...
Whats the best way to take a pic of something thats behind glass,indoors and to stop the bounce back of the flash?

There's no simple universal answer. It depends on the subject and the camera.

If it's a compact camera with a built in flash, try holding the lens against the glass so that it just cannot pick up reflections.

If the flash is separate from the camera, it's a question of finding angles for camera and flash that don't cause reflections. In particular, do not use the camera square on to the glass, unless you can get the lens right up to the glass - a flexible rubber lens hood can help in "sealing" the lens to the glass, and make sure that the glass is clean.

A polarizing filter can help in some cases, especially with reflections from the back surface of a container.

If the object behind the glass is slow moving or static, it may be better to put the camera on a tripod and do without the flash, but you still have to find a camera angle that reduces reflections.