Photos of animals, pets etc

Rich

Some I took today of a pigeon that was on next doors roof, I had to use full zoom. The others of a spider I captured to use as my test subject, unfortunately I don't think this camera is capable of taking macro shots any closer than this. All of the shots have been cropped as well.

bird_01.jpg

spider_01.jpg

spider_02.jpg

spider_03.jpg

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers....... I'm hoping to get my head out of the ceiling anytime soon.

Wuss!! ;) TBH I don't mind being near spiders but you wouldn't catch me picking one up!!

I can't even kill them..... crunchy little eight legged nasties, contemplated vacuuming them up though :D

The warm weather must be bringing them out.

I was just making my bedtime cocoa when I spotted this one in the kitchen.

20100604Spider.jpg

But the ones that really fascinate me from an engineering standpoint are the very long legged ones that hang about (literally) in the bathroom.

LongLeggedSpider.jpg

Have you considered how they can possibly articulate limbs that are so long and slender. I cannot see how they can possibly use muscles and sinews, so it must some kind of pressure system that extends them by inflation.

Quite an interesting suspension problem Tony?

You never actually see them standing on their legs; they are always hanging from them, so I guess that they never need to act as struts, only as tensile hangers.

What wonderfully varied creatures spiders are.

Have you considered how they can possibly articulate limbs that are so long and slender. I cannot see how they can possibly use muscles and sinews, so it must some kind of pressure system that extends them by inflation.

Bed time reading for Tony.

Interesting question - hadn't thought about it before so fired up good old Google and found this. Seems they do have muscles to draw legs in, but use hydraulics to extend them. Still an incredible system in something so fine as the long-legged versions.

I had a delivery in Eastbourne today and on the way home i stopped off at a scenic car park near Ashdown Forest, i was sitting on the grass and could see something moving in my peripheral vision and....

Christ i jumped 3 foot in the air when i turned round and was faced with this beast, must of been almost 5ft in length.

ashdownforest009.jpg

ashdownforest006.jpg

I had a delivery in Eastbourne today and on the way home i stopped off at a scenic car park near Asdown Forest, i was sitting on the grass and could see something moving in my peripheral vision and....

Christ i jumped 3 foot in the air when i turned round and was faced with this beast, must of been almost 5ft in length.

That was a lucky sighting; excellent pics too. Thanks for letting us get such a good look at it.

It looks exactly like an Adder, but if it was 5ft long, it couldn't have been, because their maximum size is between about 2' and 2' 6".

Grass snakes can get up to about 4' 6" but the markings are very different than in your pictures.

Did you see whether it had a vertical eye slit? That's a very clear identifier of an Adder.

I'm really jealous. I have never managed to get a pic of one in the wild.

The size was probably exaggerated a bit in my haste to leap out the way ;) in reality it was about 2 ft :) either way it wasn't what i was expecting to see heading for the gravel of the car park, a bit of a shocker.

I've known about them but like you never seen one until today, the markings are exactly how the forestry commission describe.

quote:

Most adders are distinctively marked with a dark zigzag running down the length of the spine and an inverted 'V' shape on the neck. Males are generally white or pale grey with a black zigzag. Females are a pale brown colour, with a darker brown zigzag. But some adders are entirely black and can be mistaken for some other species.

:D

Nice photos Pete, did it spit at you? :) I've never seen an Adder before but I think they can bite? When I lived in Essex there were report of people getting bitten in the nearby woods!

I've never seen an Adder before but I think they can bite?

You only think they can bite :)

Quote:

The adder is the only venomous snake native to Britain. Adders have the most highly developed venom injecting mechanism of all snakes, but they are not aggressive animals. Adders will only use their venom as a last means of defence, usually if caught or trodden on. No one has died from adder bite in Britain for over 20 years. With proper treatment, the worst effects are nausea and drowsiness, followed by severe swelling and bruising in the area of the bite. Most people who are bitten were handling the snake. Treat adders with respect and leave them alone.

Not something i'd like to get bitten by, i did put my foot in front of its face and it struck out at me twice, I just did it to see how quick they are..... and yes they are very quick. ;) didn't see it spit but deffo hissed :D thats when i got back in the lorry.

Not something i'd like to get bitten by, i did put my foot in front of its face and it struck out at me twice, I just did it to see how quick they are..... and yes they are very quick. :) didn't see it spit but deffo hissed :D thats when i got back in the lorry.

pmsl ;)

• 2 weeks later...

I had a great Father's Day yesterday. My son cooked dinner for us and in the afternoon I took his little cross-bred terrier for a walk.

That small dog has more energy than a nuclear pile and you can practically see the smile on his face when he is chasing a tennis ball.

20100620Tanner01.jpg

20100620Tanner02.jpg

20100620Tanner03.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

The only animal activity around our house at present is from the spiders - of which there are many. I think they took over while we were away on holiday.

This one approached me yesterday - palps at the ready

20100708HouseSpider01.jpg

gave me a good looking over with his beady little eyes

20100708HouseSpider03.jpg

and having decided presumably that I wasn't edible, departed.

20100708HouseSpider02.jpg