Photos of animals, pets etc

Rich

Very nice photos there, amazing what abit of sun does. I was having a look at the EXIF data, is there any reason you took these at 800 ISO considering it was a bright day?

The feeders are under trees and in the shade of the house once it gets to mid-afternoon. So they were not well lit when I took the pictures. I wanted reasonable depth of field and fairly high speed so high-ish ISO resulted. One of the good things about the 5DII is that it give good noise performance at high ISO.

I would like to have taken the pictures earlier but I was busy with other things.

Does the ISO have an affect on the DOF then? :angry:

My Nikon is very good for high ISO for an entry level DSLR....I've read a few threads about the Canon equivalents not being so good though. I've been impressed with my indoor photos in low light but use auto ISO, although I've set the max to 1600.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Does the ISO have an affect on the DOF then? :lol:

Not directly, but it allows you to set a smaller lens aperture, which does. If you looked at the exif data you will have seen that I had set an aperture of about f/6.3 (from memory). I would like to have set it even smaller.

I was using a longish lens, fairly close up, which tends to give a shallow depth of field. To get most of a small bird in focus you may need a depth of field of four to eight inches.

You also need a fairly high shutter speed because small birds move quite rapidly. Again, I would like to have used a higher speed than the light allowed.

• 1 year later...

Some amazing pictures in this thread.! Really impressed with them and how stunning they look.!

im thinking of maybe doing a photography course soon`ish...Looking to spend about £1,000

What sort of DSLR camera and extras could i get for that sort of money.? OR what would people reccomend camera and extras wise.? :P

What sort of DSLR camera and extras could i get for that sort of money.? OR what would people reccomend camera and extras wise.? :P

Go into a camera shop first and get a feel of them as everyone is different. I don't like the Canons, feel too bulky in my hands so went with the Nikon. For £1,000 you can get a very good camera and a couple of decent lenses. What do you want to photograph as this will determine what lenses would be better, so wildlife, landscape, portraits, indoor etc?

• 3 months later...

Did you ever get a DSLR Daz?

I was washing up Sunday night and looked up out of the window and saw a muntjac eating the grass! Really surprised me as there are only trees surrounding my road, no woods. I know they live in the woods at the top of the road but that's about 1/2 mile away and they would've had to come down the main road with all the traffic, past the houses and shops. Unless they use back gardens to get about?

I went and grabbed the camera and top a quick photo through the gap in the window before it bolted. It was 8:30pm so almost dark but it's come out ok.

muntjac.jpg