Rich

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I found an interesting slime mould in the local park this week.

The experts used to classify them as fungi but recently there have been arguments to classify them as animals.

To the naked eye they look like a clump of rice pudding, but in time lapse you can see them moving.

This image is made up from about 100 exposures, one every ten seconds, compiled into a video file running at 30 frames a second. So the visible movement is very slow, but still quite lively for a mould.

The quality isn't that good. It was pretty dark and raining hard at the time.

Slime mould in motion.

The experts used to classify them as fungi but recently there have been arguments to classify them as animals.

To the naked eye they look like a clump of rice pudding, but in time lapse you can see them moving.

This image is made up from about 100 exposures, one every ten seconds, compiled into a video file running at 30 frames a second. So the visible movement is very slow, but still quite lively for a mould.

Slime mould in motion.

Sounds interesting and not something I've heard of before...I will watch the video when I get home tonight.

• 4 weeks later...

Slime mould in motion.

Sounds interesting and not something I've heard of before...I will watch the video when I get home tonight.

Forgot to watch this...it looks gross and not something I've ever seen before.

Friend of mine emigrated back to Texas where she was born and was opening an english tea shop, so wanted some traditional 'english images'

Apparently this one is very popular with visitors!

_MG_2247.jpg

I wonder why that is? ;)

The bird feeders are getting a lot of customers in this cold weather.

We have had crowds of Goldfinches recently.

Agreed, stunning looking bird, what is it :huh:

Read the post Tony! :lol:

It's a picture thread :o

It's definitely a Goldfinch - here's another shot.

20101219Goldfinch2.jpg

Nothing anywhere near the standard you peeps display but nevertheless here are my two babes.....

Honey.... 7yld tart who tugs my forelocks constantly....

post-2-1293538012.jpg

And then there's YIP, aka Lexie.... Two years old and suffering from "little dog syndrome", you know the one..... The little dog that's thinks it's much bigger than it is. She yips at everything.....

post-2-1293538431.jpg

Love them both though :smile_anim:

And then there's YIP, aka Lexie.... Two years old and suffering from "little dog syndrome", you know the one..... The little dog that's thinks it's much bigger than it is. She yips at everything.....

post-2-1293538431.jpg

Love them both though :smile_anim:

Sweet!

Funnily enough, Lexie looks like hms car, lexie. Black with a white patch on the front.

Except hms' white patch is paint peeling off his bumper!

I've hardly seen any birds apart from pigeons, seagulls, magpies and the pair of crows that like to play chicken with my dog!!

I guess you put alot of bird seeds out to attract them to your garden?

I've been getting in the last few weeks pigeons, magpies, sparrows, starlings, blue tits, a robin and an occasional woodpecker. I put seed out in feeders the sparrows pick at it and spit most out and some of the others sponge on the pickings. The woodpecker takes the nuts.

I've been getting in the last few weeks pigeons, magpies, sparrows, starlings, blue tits, a robin and an occasional woodpecker. I put seed out in feeders the sparrows pick at it and spit most out and some of the others sponge on the pickings. The woodpecker takes the nuts.

Same here.

The sparrows and pigeons do chuck a lot on the ground and the dunnocks and wrens pick over that stuff.

Whilst the woodpeckers do take the nuts, they have to be quick because the squirrels normally get the lion's share!

Our newly acquired cat (which just appeared and adopted us) also spends time at the feeder - fairly successfully by the amount of giblets that have appeared on the path recently...

The mice & rats also come to the bird tables and the duck's food bowl and a sparrowhawk occasionally pays a visit too.

It's a proper food chain in our garden.

Very nice photos there, amazing what abit of sun does. I was having a look at the EXIF data, is there any reason you took these at 800 ISO considering it was a bright day?

The feeders are under trees and in the shade of the house once it gets to mid-afternoon. So they were not well lit when I took the pictures. I wanted reasonable depth of field and fairly high speed so high-ish ISO resulted. One of the good things about the 5DII is that it give good noise performance at high ISO.

I would like to have taken the pictures earlier but I was busy with other things.