What have i taken on!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Granted I know feck all about chassis design but I don't like that. Wheelbase looks far too short and the rear track much too wide.

Looks like it's based on a Midget BTW. :lol:

I agree, you'd need to be very brave or very foolish to drive that, or maybe a combination of both. M3 power with that set-up? No thank you :smile_anim:

From the outset i said OMG this is a challenge.. All the laws we explore here in wim are here in one pot.

Nevertheless my job is to make this evolution drive forward then corner despite the Wheel base or track, my concern is more the power -V- the polar moment?

The suspension is pants at the moment but we're dealing with that and the unsprung weight is wrong, we're dealing with that as well.... Once done some more tuning and testing should get this car to stick...... My only worry is as i said the "castor".

It started it's life looking a bit like this ( well some of it did ):

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/c...rgeId=935219104

I thought Tony said it had plastic/panels? How much of the original Midget steel is left? (it was a struggle to stop them rusting away in a very short time anyway, like the MGB).

It started it's life looking a bit like this ( well some of it did ):

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-uk/www/c...rgeId=935219104

I thought Tony said it had plastic/panels? How much of the original Midget steel is left? (it was a struggle to stop them rusting away in a very short time anyway, like the MGB).

Cabin, rear wings and boot are all that's left of the original build..... the rest probably did rust away :crying_anim:

That's not what I was expecting at all!

I was thinking it would be a 'low cost' lotus seven alike. Self built chassis with parts from donor cars, eg suspension, steering, power train etc.

Looks interesting though.

h

Chassis was set yesterday so today's mission was to have GAZ come down and measure up for some new made to fit coilovers, locate some lightweight 8x18 ET30 alloys and find out why the car hasn't any steering lock?

My initial thoughts is that the Ackerman was wrong due to the swept back steering arms

post-2-1245871772.jpg

But this didn't make sense, the Ackerman is there but just not enough, so we decided to strip down the steering rack and see why the lock angles was so low. Never did i expect to see this

post-2-1245871995.jpg

Your eyes don't deceive.... there is a jubilee clip on the steering mechanism to restrict the lock.... So "off" with them and we then manufactured new lock-stops.

how did he do with locating the steering rack ? any bumpsteer ?

The steering arms are horizontal plus the ends are rose jointed so there shouldn't be any bump.... Once the new suspension is fitted i'll test for this on the machine.

How this now looking Tony?

Coilovers with custom rate/bump/ rebound are in production. The custom made wheels are still being finalized this being 8x18 three piece ET50 at 7.6kg.

There is a build error at the NSF chassis leaving me with an unacceptable end position for the camber adjuster plus an incorrect castor position, this error may mean the upper A-arm wishbone will need to be engineered but i'm going to wait until the new suspension is fitted before taking dramatic measures.

Is it the NSF mounting point for the wishbone?

Would it be easier to move the mount rather than engineer new wishbones?

h

No... this would involve cutting the existing chassis and shaping a new rail, i'm better off with a fail safe solution like this>

post-2-1246478388.jpg

Is it the NSF mounting point for the wishbone?

Would it be easier to move the mount rather than engineer new wishbones?

h

No... this would involve cutting the existing chassis and shaping a new rail, i'm better off with a fail safe solution like this>

post-2-1246478388.jpg

By eck they look nice!

The existing wishbones are probably DIY as per the chassis. They look standard for a locost type 7

h

Blimey this is bit of a 'Heinz' car.

Midget bodywork

BMW drive/axle/wheels

Herald front end

TVR suspension.

I thought most people building this would use a single donor car for parts.

Interesting thing on the s'evenesqe' self builds. They are now starting to use BMW's as the donor cars. They have finally run out of Sierra's to use. Should prove interesting.

h

Custom made GAZ coils now fitted

post-2-1246995395.jpg

post-2-1246995411.jpg

Now we have movement in the suspension we also have a build issue, namely when the rear suspension is on compression the lower wishbone hits the shock frame, this is dangerous because it will cause the wheel to leave the ground...... Only option is to modify the chassis

post-2-1246995716.jpg The offending part of the chassis

post-2-1246995776.jpg A little cutting

post-2-1246995842.jpg The new channel

Tomorrow we will box in the shock mount to gain extra strength and then it's back to tuning the calibration.