What have i taken on!

Next weeks project is a hybrid build consisting of.....

* Triumph Herald cabin

* Homemade tubular chassis

* Twin A-arm wishbones (rose jointed)

* Plastic/fiberglass panels

* Coilover suspension, fully adjusted (down) with no bump/rebound adjustment

* BMW M3 engine/ gearbox/axle

* 17" BMW wheels

* Front wheelbase= Herald

* Rear wheelbase= BMW M3

:o

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sounds like a DIY 'Seven'

Be interesting to see photo's, as one day I would like a Caterham, preferably, or other 7esque car.

What basis would you set this up Tony, what defines the starting point?

h

You really start from the image up.... It's going to be a mare.

Straight up the suspensions got to go as have the wheels... It's running a M3 engine in something that weighs less than a cardboard box, the unsprung chassis is banging back at the sprung like a disgruntled child.

Don't you normally put weight in a BMW, so would you be doing the same with this?

No because the target positions will be custom made rather than the BMW targets that assume the car has been weighted. Anyway i don't even know what make of suspension's on the car?

Don't you normally put weight in a BMW, so would you be doing the same with this?

No because the target positions will be custom made rather than the BMW targets that assume the car has been weighted. Anyway i don't even know what make of suspension's on the car?

Can see you spending at least an hour on it then? What day is it coming?

Can see you spending at least an hour on it then? What day is it coming?

It's there now.... Monday i'll measure the chassis to see what challenge is ahead, identify the suspension length and workout replacement's -V- the sway calculations, oh and find some new wheels/tyres.

Ah right so you really did mean a week! :angry:

If it's still there Thursday I'll pop over for a look :o

It'll still be there.... This thing is an animal, think of it as a M3 engine with handle bars.... some how i have to keep this thing on the road.

Ah right so you really did mean a week! :angry:

If it's still there Thursday I'll pop over for a look :o

It'll still be there.... This thing is an animal, think of it as a M3 engine with handle bars.... some how i have to keep this thing on the road.

Sometimes you have to wonder if these kind of projects are safe to drive?

Ah right so you really did mean a week! B)

If it's still there Thursday I'll pop over for a look :D

At the moment this one is a definite "NO"... There's loads of problems with the build let alone the calibration.

Ah right so you really did mean a week! B)

If it's still there Thursday I'll pop over for a look :D

At the moment this one is a definite "NO"... There's loads of problems with the build let alone the calibration.

The build would be inspected to make sure it's roadworthy wouldn't it? As the geometry isn't covered by an MOT it wouldn't be included in the inspection I assume? So if you have problems calibrating the chassis and feel it's too dangerous to drive there's nothing you could do about it?

It's passed the MOT requirement's, i just have to tidy things up (pictures will explain) As for the chassis?.... All i can do is address the obvious then calibrate from there, this is an open £ project and the owner knows that.

Self builds go through an Single Vehicle Approval (SVA), which is in process of becoming the IVA (Individual ...) so it should be safe (ish!)

These test normally take 4 -5 hours and are rather comprehensive, from switches and warning lights to chassis, wiring and brake line runs etc.

Extract from the Caterham build manual:

TABLE 2 RECOMMENDED SUSPENSION ALIGNMENT - ROAD USE STANDARD AND WIDE TRACK

FINAL CHECKS

Front Rear

Tracking

0° 20' ±

0° 10' Toe-In N/A

Camber

1° 20' ± 0° 15' 1° 30' ± 0° 15'

(Negative) (Negative)

Castor

4° 00' ± 1° 00' (0° 20' variation left to right, front)

Are Caterhams and the like on the Database of the alignment machine?

I would like a 7esque for touring France, where I could turn it up for use on the track also. You can pick up self builds at around 4k with not too much mileage on the clock as they tend to be fair weather used. Self build kits start around 4.5k. (Robin Hood Zero, including new 2.0l zetec engine with manifold, GAZ shocks and springs, (thought you might like to hear that Tony), space frame chassis, Interior and exterior panels, full lighting set, wiring loom, 15" alloy and Yoko tyres, steering rack, pedal box, windscreen kit, and a pack of bumpfh to get it through IVA. Seems to be almost complete. All the missing bits come from a donor Sierra.

Now if only I had money and a garage to work in!

It's going to be a challenge Tony, if you can resolve the geometry on this, which I'm sure you can, then take one big feather for your cap!

I'll await photo's, hopefully, with interest.

h

There's no data for the Caterhams in the machine, we have a template and calibrate from there depending on the build or intended use for the car. GAZ help me a lot with data, in particular with TVR's.

Need to see some photos of that if the owner allows, sounds unique!

I'll get some Monday, there's no owner restrictions on this evolution.

:D

I was to busy... Got it booked now for the rig tomorrow at 10am :huh:

Ok here she is...... Apparently it's an MG body

post-2-1245784860.jpg

post-2-1245784875.jpg

post-2-1245784891.jpg

I'm not impressed the bolts are not all through the nylock nuts

post-2-1245784936.jpg

Nor am i impressed with the welded steering arms

post-2-1245785020.jpg

Plus the constant unfinished safety points, like these locking tabs

post-2-1245785085.jpg

So we have a home made chassis

post-2-1245785209.jpg

Combination "A" arm with rose jointed links

post-2-1245785303.jpg

Unknown suspension rates that have no damper/rebound adjustment, no compression and no droop. The heavy BMW wheels have to go and tomorrow GAZ are coming down to help me develop a new suspension package.

Despite all the disadvantages i did set the chassis today to some form of template

post-2-1245785539.jpg

My only real concern at the moment is the non-adjustable castor.... I'll come back to that :smile_anim: