Ford Mondeo 1.8 TD

Rich

I bought the car in June 2005 after winning it on ebay! I had gone to see the car first and decided I was going to get it...and I did :)

Wasn't planning on doing much to it but you know how it is once you have the modding bug!

Once I got the car it went in for a service, cambelt change and new front lower arms. The car was in pretty good condition body wise, the paint a little dull and both bumpers cracked/resprayed in places but the rest was sound.

The day I got her

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

pic3.jpg

This is the first car I've actually done any mechanical work on meself as before relatives would do whatever bits needed for me. Started with changing the drop links as they needed doing and the guy who did the lower arms said it was an easy job. Was only 2 nuts each side but I really enjoyed changing them and that's when it all started!

First cosmetic mod was getting rid of the dreaded orange side repeaters, they went in favour of some smoked ones. I also debadged the car :D

Around 3 months after buying the car I had a scary moment on the motorway, seemed one of my subframe bolts had worked loose...not a good thing when doing 70mph. Had this checked by a so called 'mechanic' who did it up and it seemed fine afterwards...until it happened again. Further inspection revealed the captive nut had sheared and the bolt had seized inside. This was sorted by removing the nut, which meant cutting a hole in the floor and replacing with a bolt/nut.

Was around this time that I found WIM and met Tony as I was experiencing a pull to one side. After doing the geometry he said it was in pretty good shape, just the toe slightly out and the pull was most likely the tyres.

I had already bought some alloys on ebay so I wasn't too bothered about the tyres as they'd be getting changed. So I got the new alloys and when cleaning them realised one was buckled! That went off for a repair and then I could fit them...was happy with the look and being 16's the car handled slightly better and no more pulling.

The alloys

compo1.jpg

compo2.jpg

The next MOT was looming so I checked the car over and took it in, failed on pitted rear discs and handbrake. Decided to tackle these meself, next job I'd tried since the drop links. Discs and pads were fitted and had no problems here, except being given the wrong discs to start with! Hand brake cables were a sod but got there in the end and was feeling mighty proud afterwards. Car then passed the MOT :D

Then came another problem, the CV joint needed changing. I tried doing this meself but couldn't get the circlip off to separate it from the driveshaft so took it to Tony when he was still at STS. He probably remembers this job, I supplied the joint, it didn't fit, he ordered one, it didn't fit, he ordered another one, that didn't fit! :rolleyes: In the end I think Tony counted the splines and got one to fit. I was happy until a few months later when I got the dreaded clicking back, seems the joint wasn't compatible with the driveshaft I had as that was a remanufactured one. I decided to get both driveshafts and CV joints replaced and it's been fine ever since.

Having never lowered a car before I thought I would with this one as the gap between arch and wheel on the mondeo is quite big. I was originally going to fit V6 shocks and springs and bought some second hand ones but turned out one of the shocks was buggered and a spring broken! Seems I don't have much luck with used parts! -_-

Went for 30mm Eibach springs in the end after doing alot of searching and some new Ford shocks for the front. This was the third job I tackled on this car, what a nightmare, both front pinch bolts snapped on me resulting in hours of drilling! Got everything fitted in the end once the bolts were sorted and I cheated on the rear by leaving the shocks attached to the knuckle. Off to see Tony and have my geometry done, everything was fine and camber was still within spec so we thought there would be no problems...wrong!

Springs and Shocks

springs.jpg

shocks.jpg

While I was there Tony fitted me rear poly ARB bushes for me and good job as well because one of the bolts snapped. That would've been a pain doing it on the driveway!

The bushes

poly_bushes.jpg

Other things were changed along the way, the cat died on me when driving down the M4 and the torque restrictor needed changing so these were done. Alternator went so got a used one to fit, plus 2 pairs of lower arms and another pair of front drop links, plus the rear links.

The cat and restrictor

cat.jpg

torque_restrictor.jpg

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Anyway, now it was lowered I decided the car should have some new alloys. I decided to buy these new as I had issues with the others being different offsets and the rears were very close to the arch lip! Went for 17's this time and what with it being lowered completely transformed the look of the car.

The new wheels

bsa_rims_1.jpg

bsa_rims_2.jpg

bsa_rims_3.jpg

Front brakes were looking abit sorry for themselves so I got some grooved discs and pads, plus painted the calipers silver.

The brakes

discs.jpg

grooved_discs.jpg

I then got some smoked rear lexus lights that I bought off ebay cheap. Fitted these and was really happy with how they looked.

Then I went and had the rear windows tinted and bought some 'blackeye' headlights to give that darker look at the front.

Lexus lights, tints and blackeyes

tints_1.jpg

tints_2.jpg

tints_blackeyes.jpg

blackeyes_1.jpg

About 6 months after getting the new alloys I noticed one of the front tyres was balding on the inner edge...yep you guessed it, camber related. Kept an eye on it and in the end decided I needed a camber kit. Got these and fitted them, along with the front poly ARB bushes that had been in the boot over a year!

Camber kit and ARB bushes

camberkit_1.jpg

camberkit_2.jpg

front_arb_bush.jpg

Aircon needed regassing when I got the car which I had done but it leaked out after a few months. The condenser was rotted to bits, when I removed it, it fell apart, literally. Fitted a new one and had the system checked and it's still icey cold 14 months later. Leather steering wheel and gear knob fitted, plus uprated front speakers.

I had also bought some new uprated tubular rear arms to replace the thin bendy ones, fitted one of these but the other side had a seized bolt in the bushing. After 2 hours I was defeated and got it changed at WIM before I had the geometry done again (this was at the new centre). I also had my full powerflow exhaust system I bought on ebay fitted. The car was looking good now, was definately happy with how she was looking.

Rear arms and Exhaust

rear_arms.jpg

rear_arms_2.jpg

zorst_full.jpg

zorst_box.jpg

zorst_underneath.jpg

zorst_rear.jpg

Had some issues with the top plates that came with the camber kit bending, this caused the car to feel unstable when cornering hard. Found out that uprated ones were available and was sent some to replace the thin bent ones.

Uprated top plates

camber_plate.jpg

Starter motor went, so this was replaced. I also painted the rocker cover, fitted me cone filter and stainless steel heatshield (although not in the picture).

Rocker cover and filter

engine_bay.jpg

I was also getting into detailing and decided to invest in a machine polisher as the car had alot of scratches, swirls and holograms I hated. She's looking alot smarter now but I've still not finished.

The front bumper was cracked and being resprayed in areas with aerosol cans and when I saw a cheap one on ebay I snapped it up. Had a few scratches in places but was in much better condition. I fitted this and the front looks abit tidier now, no pictures of the new bumper yet though, but it does have both fog surrounds on now.

The car to date

todate_1.jpg

todate_2.jpg

todate_3.jpg

todate_4.jpg

Plans for the future...well I haven't finished polishing her, there's a few areas I'm not happy with and scratches that need sorting. I'm on the look out for an ST200 rear bumper to compliment the exhaust and a strut brace is on the cards. Toying with the idea of upgrading the brakes to MK3 ones, which use bigger calipers and discs so will fill the alloys up abit more. Also would like a newer interior at some point as the car is on 175,000 miles now and it's seen better days.

That's it for now...will be updated soon.

Nice blog ER... :D

Cheers boss took me ages to write that :)

You liking the new forum then? :D

Yes very much so..... It's a good idea ER and i hope members take this opportunity up.

Yeah, it makes for interesting reading/viewing to see what we do with our cars :)

putting me and my S12 to shame!

Blog it anyway..... Anything car is interesting to us, shame nothing -_-

I agree, it doesn't matter what condition the car is in or what your intentions are, if it's car related we want to see :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...

Well it seems when I fitted those rear tubular arms I should've had some spacers with them as well, so for the last 6 months they've not been fitted correctly! :D

This only came to light when someone had problems with theirs and the guy who made them asked about the spacers. As he lives in Canada I had to get them shipped over, cost me nearly £18!

spacers.jpg

Mine are fitted like this and you can see I use a washer from the old arms

rear_arms3.jpg

They should be fitted like this with the correct spacers

TCA_with_spacers.jpg

So once they're fitted it's time for another geo and maybe the car will handle even better as the arms will be sitting at least 10mm further back

It's only the angle from which the photos have been taken. If I get a moment I'll take another of mine at the same angle.

Please do :D ..... what are you like confusing the entire chassis calibration community :)

I have changed the angle on one of the photos and marked the same point with a red arrow...you seeing it yet?

It's only the angle from which the photos have been taken. If I get a moment I'll take another of mine at the same angle.

Please do :) ..... what are you like confusing the entire chassis calibration community :)

I have changed the angle on one of the photos and marked the same point with a red arrow...you seeing it yet?

Got ya :D

Please do :) ..... what are you like confusing the entire chassis calibration community :D

Got ya :)

Got there in the end! :)

Please do :rolleyes: ..... what are you like confusing the entire chassis calibration community :P

Got ya :thumbsup_anim:

Got there in the end! :lol:

Yeah..... it was the angle of the picture and as you know i'm not good at angles :D

mate she's a credit to ya...you have thought about what you want for it and got the appropiate mods you need to achieve what you have.....must one of the best handling mk2 derv's about lol.....sink a v6 or a 4 pot in it and you would have endless fun hehe..not that you dont anyway :thumbsup_anim:

Cheers jamster :lol:

Couple more mods I wanna do but happy so far. She ain't that slow, especially in this weather but dreading the heat soak she will suffer soon! :thumbsup_anim:

I can't be bothered to change/strip her yet but when the time comes I may get a V6 as they're cheap enough now and all the mods will swap straight over :rolleyes:

Still trying to find the source of the leak as well, annoying me now!

• 1 month later...

Gave the motor some TLC today. Oil change was overdue by a few thousand miles so did that. Also changed the fuel filter, which was last done nearly 3 years ago! Was me first time as I've been worried about getting air in the system and yep you guessed it I did! Car started then died but eventually got all the air out and she's purring nicely on tickover now rather choking to death! :D Will be getting a new primer pump before the next change as they're known to pack up.

Also got some NGK glow plugs as these haven't been changed since I bought the car. Fitting them tomorrow hopefully.

Also checked the tyres, both fronts are wearing evenly after nearly 4k miles :) They seem to be wearing quickly though, probably the same as the toyos I had and I doubt they will see 8k miles! :D The rear toyos have done around 12k miles now and still look new.

Gotta fit the spacers still for the rear arms and get the geo checked. Then I need to find and sort the leak I've got, then wet vac the brown carpet from where it kept icing over! :D

The fact they are wearing evenly is a result in view of the problems we had..... now get those spacers fitted :)

Yep it's a result but the handling has suffered to achieve it. So I'm hoping abit more negative camber can be added to help with the castor and I will get that strut brace soon. Been waiting for one on ebay but I've seen none. What's the betting I buy it new and one pops up on there! :)

Will fit the spacers the same day I get the geo checked in case the rear starts fishtailing!

The fact they are wearing evenly is a result in view of the problems we had..... now get those spacers fitted :angry2:

Yep it's a result but the handling has suffered to achieve it. So I'm hoping abit more negative camber can be added to help with the castor and I will get that strut brace soon. Been waiting for one on ebay but I've seen none. What's the betting I buy it new and one pops up on there! :D

Will fit the spacers the same day I get the geo checked in case the rear starts fishtailing!

Ready when you are on this one mate..... Sooner the better methinks.