Rich

• Replies 430
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a PITA that pipe was to fit!! :huh:

I undid the 2 bolts that holds the pipe to the engine and just lightly touched it when coolant started coming out of the hole, so it was a good job I changed it today. We're going away next week and I would've either been going there or back on an AA truck.

A hose connected to the pipe was under the intercooler so that had to come off and another part of the pipe ran between the oil filter and driveshaft. There was no way I could get it out without removing one of them, so I choose the driveshaft. Luckily I only had to pop the ball joint and unbolt the shaft and I managed to ease it out.

In total there was 3 holes in the pipe as you can see from the photo :)

pipe1.jpg

pipe_hole.jpg

Looks like a poxy job to do...... still looking at the condition of the pipe it's just as well you decided to do it now rather than after your hols :smile_anim:

Yep I agree and that's why I wanted it done by today as no time next week and not chancing 400 plus miles on that pipe! :nowink:

The hole wasn't by the bracket though so I probably could've got away with using abit of copper pipe but never mind.

I've noticed that the car has been warming up alot quicker since fitting the new pipe, half as quick actually :D

Calipers arrived today, just got the discs/pads to order :D

caliper1.jpg

They will be getting cleaned and painted before fitting. How can I get the piston out to check the seal?

Little Tone is the one to ask about that...... It might be wise to talk to him in advance mate.

They will be getting cleaned and painted before fitting. How can I get the piston out to check the seal?

Little Tone is the one to ask about that...... It might be wise to talk to him in advance mate.

I'll get him to give them the once over then. Won't be going on for a couple of months anyway.

Cheers Fred :nowink:

Spacers fitted, 10 minutes a side it took me...was longer getting the jack and tools out! :whistle:

Rose jointed ends were still moving freely but gave them a clean anyway. The toe only needed changing slightly, so I think this must have been your fastest geo yet Tony, don't think it was even on the ramps for 10 minutes! Thanks for today mate :huh:

post-438-1236874661.jpg

looking very nice buddy, cant wait to do the same to my car -_-

hi buddy, just looking back on these pictures, ive paid for my rear links, tubular arms and dust caps from brad, so they should be sending over sometime this week i hope, so should be ready to get them on real soon, but what i wanted to know is will those spacers come with the kit that ive bought? Im glad u took the pics of this so that i have an idea of how they go on the car, keep up the great work :)

Yes they will come with yours as they space the arm to where the oem one should be. The guy I bought them from over here never gave them to me or brad forgot to send them. Maybe email him just to confirm they will be in the parcel :whistle:

• 2 months later...

Wondering whether I should fit these brakes as I'm not sure if I wanna keep the car or not :smile_anim:

I don't think I can get the handling much better than it is, apart from fitting very expensive coilovers that would cost what the car is worth!

I love driving it and how it looks but I'm craving some power! Also being a diesel I'm not using it for it's intended purpose, long distances. I could probably get the same kind of mpg from a V6 mondeo (with careful driving) as I only drive it to work, 5 miles each way!

Guess no one is interested then! :D :P

:blink:

Very helpful post Tony! :P

Was thinking about it driving home from work and I love the car, cruises around town happily but when I want/need the power it's not there :P

I could sell the mods easily but need oem parts to put back on. But then a standard mondeo with nearly 180k miles won't go for much atm, going by ebay prices 500 quid max!

Rear brakes need doing asap but can't decide whether to upgrade the fronts. If I do you can't put steelies back on, 16" rims minimum. Front and rear discs plus ebc greenstuff pads will cost about 220 quid, which is probably what a garage would charge to suppy/fit oem brakes. One of the advantages of doing it yourself ;)

Dunno mate I'm in a similar prediciment. Sell up or keep on spendin'....?

Well I've been thinking about it and realistically I can't really afford a Jap motor atm, not until I know me job is safer anyway.

Things I need to do to the car that are essential:

Front and rear brakes

Sort leak out in drivers footwell

Rust appearing on the arches and seal so they need sorting

I may try adjusting the timing on the fuel pump, make it abit nippier :unsure:

Dunno mate I'm in a similar prediciment. Sell up or keep on spendin'....?

Well I've been thinking about it and realistically I can't really afford a Jap motor atm, not until I know me job is safer anyway.

Things I need to do to the car that are essential:

Front and rear brakes

Sort leak out in drivers footwell

Rust appearing on the arches and seal so they need sorting

I may try adjusting the timing on the fuel pump, make it abit nippier :)

hi rich, didnt know u werent happy with your car, id personally keep it, its a nice motor and the mods youve done to it on the suspension are top mods, i think fitting an rsap kit on there would finish it off, there was one being sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago dont know if u saw that one and it was in panther black, im still waiting for my suspension bits from brad and still havent seen nothing,

i also bought a 21mm arb from america cheap and i am about to mod a spare rear subframe which i should be buying tommorow and cleaning up and spraying in hammerite black but i will weld a stronger mount on it, then when i come to fit my rear arms and links and arb i will take off my old subframe off the car and replace with the modded one so that it will support my new uprated 21mm arb, its meant to be a good upgrade as they say it helps with the rear feel of the car,

then i will pop down to see tony when i get my bits in from the states, till then ive gotta wait for my car to get sorted :)

hi rich, didnt know u werent happy with your car, id personally keep it, its a nice motor and the mods youve done to it on the suspension are top mods, i think fitting an rsap kit on there would finish it off, there was one being sold on ebay a couple of weeks ago dont know if u saw that one and it was in panther black, im still waiting for my suspension bits from brad and still havent seen nothing,

i also bought a 21mm arb from america cheap and i am about to mod a spare rear subframe which i should be buying tommorow and cleaning up and spraying in hammerite black but i will weld a stronger mount on it, then when i come to fit my rear arms and links and arb i will take off my old subframe off the car and replace with the modded one so that it will support my new uprated 21mm arb, its meant to be a good upgrade as they say it helps with the rear feel of the car,

then i will pop down to see tony when i get my bits in from the states, till then ive gotta wait for my car to get sorted :)

It's not that I'm not happy with it I'm just craving more power! I still love the look of the MK2 and how comfortable it is, even when lowered.

Typical about the RSAP kit, I've been looking for ages with no luck and when I stop one pops up...how much did it sell for?

You should get your suspension bits soon, you've waited long enough now...are they coming by boat?

I was looking at the 21mm rear ARB but Tony weren't too sure about it as I couldn't find any torsional rate information for it and is 3mm extra really going to make a big difference. I know you got it cheap though so worth a try :)

Saw the thread Marney did for me Fred...can't believe I missed that RSAP kit, was in Watford as well in the right colour and went for 120 quid ;) What's the chances of that happening again! :smile_anim:

Think I shudda bRought a scooby!! ;)

Saw the thread Marney did for me Fred...can't believe I missed that RSAP kit, was in Watford as well in the right colour and went for 120 quid :angry2: What's the chances of that happening again! :thumbsup_anim:

Think I shudda bRought a scooby!! ;)

lol sometimes i wish i shudda bRought a scooby myself :D

but what are the chances of it happening again, here u go buddy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Mondeo-ST24-Fro...3%3A7|294%3A200

click on that link, dont miss this one, it doesnt sound far from you either and in panther black, even if it goes for over 100 again, remember that u wont have to paint it your color so that will save u some £££ , hope this helps buddy :)

Saw the thread Marney did for me Fred...can't believe I missed that RSAP kit, was in Watford as well in the right colour and went for 120 quid ;) What's the chances of that happening again! :thumbsup_anim:

Think I shudda bRought a scooby!! :D

lol sometimes i wish i shudda bRought a scooby myself :)

but what are the chances of it happening again, here u go buddy:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ford-Mondeo-ST24-Fro...3%3A7|294%3A200

click on that link, dont miss this one, it doesnt sound far from you either and in panther black, even if it goes for over 100 again, remember that u wont have to paint it your color so that will save u some £££ , hope this helps buddy :)

I did see that on MEG, been keeping an eye on that section now! :angry2:

It's about an hour away so not too far, no skirts though and this bit doesn't sound too good - Front bumper requires repainting as previous attempt to remove stone chips & make good has resulted in an uneven lacquer finish. Although I could possibly sort it with me polisher depending how bad it is.

Anyone know how to cut another hole in these bumpers so it doesn't look like a diy bodge job?