My custom project... 1965 bug

Shaun@TDi

Basically, for the last 18 months, i've been changing my classic car from a show piece - to a go piece!

Just wondered if anyone would be interested. Its a little different from the usual on here.....

I'll make amendments and posts in my own time so it could be rather slow!

Basically, for the last 18 months, i've been changing my classic car from a show piece - to a go piece!

Just wondered if anyone would be interested. Its a little different from the usual on here.....

I'd be interested Shaun, have always had a soft spot for Bugs :D

Yeah would be good to see it, slap some pics up from waht it started like to how it is now then go from there :D

My dad had loads of these when he was a little youngers lol so he might actually be interested as well (be a change) :crying:

OK.

I'll kick it off at the weekend then. A quick teaser for you then - heres what she looked like as a show car 18 months ago.

type11965greenandwhite001.jpg

The cars show name was 'Appletease'

Looks well clean for the year... I'm looking forward to the weekend :lol:

Ok people, my apologies for leaving you all hanging!

Had work all day saturday, a party saturday night, a VW show all day sunday and today off work - unfortunately i had to spend all day working for myself to earn extra cash to spend on the bug. 'Ce La Vie'

So, the story begins.....

Summer 2005 starts with me having far too much disposable cash from mostly earning and rarely spending - all help by the fact i lived 120 miles away from my girlfriend. She cant spend it if she's no-where near it.

Trawling through the usual publications, i find a bug i like the look of. I go see it, i like it, i buy it. Simple :)

Not off to a great start, as it has a series of electrical issues which seem to go away when the missus drives it - sods law i think its called.

These are some pics from a photo shoot it had after a few months.

appleteasephotos005.jpg

appleteasephotos026.jpg

appleteasephotos019.jpg

As it turned out, the car had some pedigree history and had ties with a company called 'thump-thump'. Back in the eighties, these guys were THE modding guru's in the UK VW scene. They had churned out show car after show car after show car so i was quite proud that i had some association with them.

This is a typical hump!thump! creation;

main.gif

Since retro was the big thing a few years ago, i managed to blag tickets to various summer shows on the provisio that i had my car in show and shine line-ups. Lovely!!

After an exhausting summer of cleaning, polishing and waxing it came to the point where the weather was starting to turn and anyone who's ever owned and maintained a classic knows that this isnt a good time to be driving your pride and joy. I took it off the road and hid it under a cover on the driveway.

For some particular reason (i cant remember why now) it spent new years eve 2005/2006 parked on the roadside. When i returned the following morning from a party, i almost cried.

Kids had jumped all over it, :D kicked in the doors, :) bent the running boards, :) jumped all over the bumpers. In short - it was a mess. :)

All the customisation involved in the smoothing of the door handles and removing all visable hinges had been ruined. Original 1965 panels were bent out of shape and so was I. I dont think i've ever been so angry in all my life.

Have ever been so angry, you couldn't even stand? The most distressing thing was that the police couldn't do anything without witnesses and the insurance would have probably declared the car a rite-off, as the work involved in replacing/fixing would have been more than the car was worth, if done professionally.

Unfortunately, no pictures were ever taken of the damage at the time.

Its late - i'm tired. More later in the week. :)

The only one i know of this weekend is Run to the Sun in Newquay.

I havent done that show in a few years - pretty expensive but good if your into surfing and all that. I had a particularly bad experience at the last one involving a mountain board, some lazy chilli's, a blindfold and a can of silly spray.

:) 'it'll be fine' they said.....

:)

:thumbsup_anim:

I'll take that as a hint shall i Tony? :speak_cool:

After the initial shock of the damage had worn off, i set about trying to do what i could to at least make the car presentable. Whilst it was ultimately pointless (as the majority of panels were now scrap) this was mainly for my own personal gratification. I suppose it was a pride thing.

A friend of mine said that he'd be prepared to help me fix the damage and restore the car to its former glory. A few days later it had found its way to his unit, deep in a hidden location!

I booked two weeks off work so the job could be concentrated into a smaller time frame. The last thing i wanted was to drag the experience out over god knows how long. Stripping the car down started almost immediately, although anyone who does bodywork knows that nothing happens before the kettle is boiled.

Picture98.jpg

By this point i'd taken the initiative to generate as much cash as possible in order to finance the make-over. The rare BRM wheels were sold for very good money, as was the custom white leather interior. Infact, anything that was worth something was sold.

2006_0101Image0010.jpg

2006_0101Image0008.jpg

It never takes too long to start removing ancilleries, especially in a bug. There are never more than 3-4 bolts holding any one thing in place. In fact, i was quite shocked to find that most of the nuts and bolts were missing.

Once all the main bits had been removed, slightly more technical items were addressed. Things like engine and electrics all had to come out. If you've ever removed an air-cooled engine, you'll know what an absolute s**tter of a job it is. Executing decision - extensive re-modification of the rear end. More on that later.....

2006_0101Image0003.jpg

2006_0101Image0005.jpg

2006_0101Image0001.jpg

2006_0101Image0004.jpg

Ever get the feeling you've bitten off a little more than you can chew?

The deeper i delved with the bodywork, the more rot i found.

2006_0101Image0007.jpg

Check out how much filler was on this lower front quarter!

2006_0102Image0006.jpg

2006_0104Image0013.jpg

After cutting away certain areas of rust and badly repaired panels from long before i had the car, it became quite clear that the rust wasn't just surface concentrated.

2006_0102Image0012.jpg

tis a good write up, ill have to find a few pics of the bugs ive had.........

the 66 import being the best, it took me 2 years to completely rebuild it.....as i told you , a few weeks back, everything from the middle of the 1/4 panels down was completely renewed......every single panel, nut and bolt, so can totally sympathise with you

excellent..... :thumbsup_anim:

Luckily, being a master panel crafter and welder extraordinaire, nothing was impossible.

New panels are pennies but because they are being made in places like brazil, they never ever fit. I dont think i've ever had a panel that didn't need modifiying in some way or another.

2006_0102Image0007.jpg

2006_0104Image0002.jpg

This bit was weird. We found a delicious mixture of window putty, pea shingle and blue gasket sealant. Some people will do anything for a quick fix i guess. Again, its lucky all these bits are readily available.

2006_0101Image0009.jpg

another panel replaced..... properly this time!

2006_0104Image0017.jpg

2006_0102Image0013.jpg

2006_0104Image0007.jpg

Whilst i left Shaun to finish off the exterior (yes, My mates called Shaun too) i decided to turn my attention to the interior. One of the things i wanted to do was blank off the heating ducts. Whilst this may not sound like a good idea, it's far more practical than it sounds. This is a classic area for moisture to get in and didn't want to be doing this all again in 2-3 years.

2006_0104Image0011.jpg

2006_0104Image0012.jpg

If you look carefully at the picture above, you can see the tyre tread through a small hole.