Cars been damaged, where do i stand here?........

Tony

I get a knock at the front door with some guy asking if the car across the road is mine, i says yes why? He explains he witnessed a kid on a push bike slam into the side of it.

Seemingly three kids ( 12/ 13 yld? ) one giving a "backie" couldn't make the bend and hit the car...

post-2-0-41274600-1402734833.jpg

post-2-0-37755600-1402734859.jpg

post-2-0-60712100-1402734924.jpg

post-2-0-37728000-1402734959.jpg

Fortunately the witness stopped them riding off, he then gave me his details a left.... So i'm asking the kids their details but one of them was being really vague saying he was from Pakistan and didn't know where he lived? then soon after he bolted.... So i called the police. With on last remaining kid the police asked where does the other kid live then because he said he knew where but not the address the police took him to the boys house and got me the details.

The police say "and rightly so" it's not a criminal act but an accident so they could only give me a ISR number but for the life of me i can't remember what that means?

So obviously the kids aren't insured so is the case of get a repair quote and hit the parents with that or go direct with my insurance?

Your insurance will certainly penalise you if you make a claim. Even if you're claiming on someone elses insurance they penalise you. Your no claims bonus (if you have any) is simply that, a bonus for not claiming. Even if you have a protected no claims bonus you'll still get penalised. You might keep your 60% no claims bonus, but next year your premium will increase and then you'll get your full no claims off the increased premium. It's a con.

Only way you can get anything out of this is by getting the kids parents to foot the bill (how they fund it is entirely up to them and no concern of yours) but if they don't play ball then you either write it down as a lost cause or try a claim through the small claims court. How that would work I have no idea, because personally I would just accept that I'm getting nowt out of it and make a mental note to punch the little fecker next time I see him.

One of the boys parents came to see me yesterday asking me to get a quote for the repair, then he said if the quote is to high he will take the car to a body shop he knows...... Not sure if i like that?

I'm just worried if it's a body shop he knows it will be done on the cheap...... I'm between a rock and a hard place now.... Go though the insurance and get penalised, get a pro-quote and the parents refuse to pay or let them half arse a p**s poor paint job!

Could that be fixed by a smart repair? At least they'd come to you. If you're happy with this, the price would be such that the parents would pay out. Say to the parents you'd accept this as an alternative to body shop as the costs of insurance for both of you would be too much. Get then to pay up front first or get a letter that they'd pay it.

Any way good luck, at least the parents have come forward, I know many wouldn't. .

I would come to an agreement over the money, get them to give you the cash and then get it sorted whenever you want, by who you want. If you do get anything out of them I would probably be grateful for that, you were lucky they did the decent thing and came round in the first place.

Real pain in the a*s that but as above if the parents have agreed to pay that's good news. Get a quote to have that done, if the price is too high maybe try and get them to pay as much as you can and then pay the rest. Don't really like the idea of them sending into a bodyshop of their choice much either.

I think a smart repair would probably work as it doesn't look like much damage, but worth going down the proper repair route first.

Problem is silver is a really hard colour match so i feel the entire side will need painting which won't be cheap?

How many panels are actually damaged? The labour and materials required to sort the front wing on the Prius I was talking about a few weeks ago has come in at £490+VAT including blending the bonnet and front door (obviously excluding the cost of the new wing).

I'm between a rock and a hard place now.... Obviously the kids don't have insurance and the parents are offering payment but i fear once real numbers come up they will bolt.... Next issue is them taking the car to a bodyshop they know and i'm thinking this will be a cheap as chips repair?