Nailed a tyre.

Viking

I have a local tyre fitter (a mate) who is prepared to do it for me if I want him to. But as it's on the car and the wife drives the daughter backwards and forwards every day I'm not going to. Also I asked another local guy who I trust if he knew anywhere that does vulcanised repairs, and he asked why. I showed him the tyre and he said it would probably last half a day if he did it, so wouldn't.

All things considered, it's got to be done properly or it's scrap.

As for the nail coming through from the inside, you're the second person to say that. But the nail head has just worn away on the outside where it's been catching the road as it rotates.

How much is a new tyre in comparison to repairing it?

It's a Bridgestone winter tyre so probably a fair bit more than £35?

Depends what size it is though and how much tread is left. The repair will obviously be the cheapest option though.

Is it a hot repair?

Yep, as their website says here. Link.

How much is a new tyre in comparison to repairing it?

New tyre is about £120. Plus fitting and balance.

Doesnt look like its got a great deal of wear left

It's got 6 - 6.5mm left on it. Edit: Just measured it and the lowest tread measurement is 6.7mm, going up to 6.9mm

Tyre pressure monitor came up this morning as I moved the car of the drive. Checked round and found this...

nail1.jpg

Nailed one of my winter tyres. Any experience with hot vulc repairs anyone? Or know anywhere round North Yorks that can do it?

Looking at this pic its about 2mm off the wear markers , you dont run winter tyres anywhere near as low as summer ones they rely on the tread depth to work properly

Looking at this pic its about 2mm off the wear markers , you dont run winter tyres anywhere near as low as summer ones they rely on the tread depth to work properly

That's what I was looking at as well when querying whether it would be better to replace the tyre. The first wear indicator is for the sipes, when they've gone the tyre will lose some of it's benefits although with the softer compound should still be alot better in cold weather over a summer tyre. It depends whether Viking will replace them at the first or second wear indicator.

I've run my winters through summer and in the rain they grip better than summer tyres despite the temperature being alot higher than what they're designed for. I think the sipes/deeper tread is to help with clearing snow from the tread.

Tyre pressure monitor came up this morning as I moved the car of the drive. Checked round and found this...

nail1.jpg

Nailed one of my winter tyres. Any experience with hot vulc repairs anyone? Or know anywhere round North Yorks that can do it?

If you look at this picture of a Blizzak for sale on Ebay, it's listed at 4-5mm...

tyre-compare.jpg I've highlighted the first set of wear indicators which disappear at about 5mm

Look closely at my tyre and you can see it's nowhere near down to the wear markers there. Still got plenty of life in the tyre, despite your eyes deceiving you