Nailed a tyre.

Viking

For optimum performance in snow, change your winter tyres when the tread wears down to the 4 mm tread wear indicator.

Michelin seem to back up what I understand

From here http://www.michelin.co.uk/tyres/learn-share/driving-guide/winter-tyre-guide

In fact some countries , Austria for example insist on winter tyres to have a minimum tread depth of 4mm so I would suggest that a new tyre with 4-5mm to be not fit for purpose

Seems funny that the advice elsewhere is 4mm for winter tyres certainly those countries where they are used as a matter of course, I dont think UK legislation has caught up, there must be a reduction in the efficiency of the tyre below 4mm or why have the rule

Since winter tyres usually come with a deeper tread than summer tyres the amount of usable tread is about the same , I totally agree with changing tyres at 3mm , they clearly arent as good in the wet when they get that worn , but you see plenty of people selling them on ebay with 3mm left as part worn !!

Well, went and collected it this afternoon. No damage to the alloy (which we discussed before I left it there, and he promised he'd be careful), all new shiny stick on balance weights, and a new valve. Repair seems okay, although there's nothing to see as the nail hole wasn't worth drilling out to refil. Just a vulcanised patch on the inside apparently. No pictures due to the fact it was refitted and balanced etc. and there's nothing to see on the outside.

However, I don't think I'll go back again. Simply because even though he was careful with the alloy he's caught the sidewall on the inside of the tyre and cut it somehow. It's not down to the cords, and only a flap of rubber, and he pointed it out to me. Now it certainly wasn't there when I dropped it off, and you'd think given the fact that he was repairing the damned thing that he'd have offered to patch it down or something, but I'm mildly annoyed. I'll stick it down with superglue and make a note to use somewhere else next time I have the need. Or I get my mate to remove the tyre and take it in bare. Still, he did knock a tenner off the price which helps a little.

All in all, I have a repaired tyre for much less than the cost of a new one, and I've learned something new.