Part worn tyres.

Viking

On a new purchase (see other thread) the seller had fitted new tyres to the rear and part worn tyres to the front. The rears were Fullrun things which made an awful drone at certain road speeds and the fronts were a Triangle and a Michelin. Strangely, the Michelin was the worst of the lot, not because it had less tread or anything, but because of this...

steels3.jpg

Now, who decided that fitting a cracked bulging tyre to a young ladies car (or anyones car for that matter) was a good idea? Needless to say, as soon as the car was home all four wheels & tyres have been removed and replaced with genuine VW alloys fitted with new Uniroyal Rainexpert tyres. The droning noise at speed has gone, and I'm sure the vehicle safety has been improved massively. How do I know they fitted part worns? Because the writing is still on the tyre in white marker pen saying "part worn".

As it happens the near side wheel trims were well kerbed, but the part worns were fitted very recently and the car had hardly been used due to there being 3 vehicles in the household and only 2 drivers. The tyre is cracked all the way round the entire sidewall, so it was fecked anyway, irrespective of the bulge. However, it was the near side.

This is why I won't buy part worn tyres anymore, you just don't know where they've come from. I've only ever bought 2 maybe 3 since I've been driving anyway. I know some people only ever buy part worns cos they think they're saving alot of money, whereas the reality is the difference in price isn't that much between these and new.

I wonder how many people who wont buy part worn tyres also change the tyres as soon as they buy a used car since used cars always come with part worn tyres ;)

When i was skint a mate who worked in a tyre place used to snaffle decent tyres from fleet cars that came in for new sets , but this happens less often now as fleets have tightened up on this practice , so i see nothing wrong as long as they come from a trusted source

I treat used tyres on cars and rims slightly differently to part worn as i can check them and compare with the overall state of the car/wheels and the current owner and make a call that way.

For example - i bought some new rims a month ago from a really helpful and informative bloke - the tyres had at least 5mm on all wheels and they didnt look like they had seen any aggressive driving. I gave them a visual check for damage or nails etc and made the call they were fine.

Tyres that are being peddled onwards as part worn, you don't get that kind of insight... its a personal thing and its served me well to date :)

• Like 1

I treat used tyres on cars and rims slightly differently to part worn as i can check them and compare with the overall state of the car/wheels and the current owner and make a call that way.

For example - i bought some new rims a month ago from a really helpful and informative bloke - the tyres had at least 5mm on all wheels and they didnt look like they had seen any aggressive driving. I gave them a visual check for damage or nails etc and made the call they were fine.

Tyres that are being peddled onwards as part worn, you don't get that kind of insight... its a personal thing and its served me well to date :)

+1 agree with this.

The Civic still has 2 of the tyres that came with the car but as I had all of the history and the car had been looked after I trusted them and they've been fine. Going to a garage that sells used tyres you don't have a clue where they've come from. Same with buying tyres off ebay, the prices I see some of them go for is crazy!

All is now sorted on my part anyway. The old ones are gone from the car as a set of alloys and tyres have been fitted. As above, these were also what you'd call part worn, but came from a known source and are all matching with 7mm tread. Surplus to requirements is somewhat different to second hand damaged, and fitted to save money.