TTE Kitted '03 Toyota Corolla T Sport

Rich

Filter can make a huge difference and its worth fitting a performance one while you are there , cheaper in the long term and they keep flowing for longer and you may see a few ponies

But that consumption is dire i reckon you should see low 30's even on your short commute and 36-38 on a decent run

Filter can make a huge difference and its worth fitting a performance one while you are there , cheaper in the long term and they keep flowing for longer and you may see a few ponies

But that consumption is dire i reckon you should see low 30's even on your short commute and 36-38 on a decent run

Yes I'm getting a performance filter, the Blitz dry type...gonna order it today!

When I looked into these cars the figures I was seeing was high 20's to 30 mpg for around town and mid 30's for long runs. I don't think I've ever got any more than 28 mpg though and that was doing 2 x 120 mile round trips (all motorway) and abit of town driving. When using lift the consumption obviously drops alot but I haven't used it since I found out the caliper was binding.

I've also cleaned my MAF sensor and reset the ECU, which made no difference so once I get the new filter in I'm hoping it will improve.

Do you how much bad grounds can make to MPG?

It 'could' if it's causing a weak spark. Did you stick with the OEM plugs with the OEM gap? How old are the wires and coilpack? Bad grounds can cause erratic sensor readings which can affect everything about the engine. A bad coolant sensor can affect engine performance as well as poor coolant.

Link liner said, around down you should be getting high 20's and on the highway you should be getting mid 30's.

When was the cat changed last? Have you done a compression check? When were the O2 sensors changed out last?

Lastly, what RPM are you changing gear at? High revvs will eat fuel up too. You want to change as low as you are comfortable with. In my case when I shift I end up between 1000-1500 rpm unless I want to go for it. Full boost at 2k so fun times =) Some engines are not happy that low, depends on the cam profiles and how the oiling system is set up.

It 'could' if it's causing a weak spark. Did you stick with the OEM plugs with the OEM gap? How old are the wires and coilpack? Bad grounds can cause erratic sensor readings which can affect everything about the engine.

Link liner said, around down you should be getting high 20's and on the highway you should be getting mid 30's.

When was the cat changed last? Have you done a compression check? When were the O2 sensors changed out last?

Lastly, what RPM are you changing gear at? High revvs will eat fuel up too. You want to change as low as you are comfortable with. In my case when I shift I end up between 1000-1500 rpm unless I want to go for it. Full boost at 2k so fun times =) Some engines are not happy that low, depends on the cam profiles and how the oiling system is set up.

It's just that at the start of the year I wanted to clean my grounds up and one of the bolts snapped (on the strut tower) and I couldn't drill it out. There was another hole next to it anyway so I roughed the area up, cleaned it and bolted it on there. I'm wondering if that's causing dodgy sensor readings. But then before I did this I still wasn't getting great mpg.

The cat is part of the middle section (it's one piece) and is still the original. There is an O2 sensor either side of the cat but if these need replacing I thought it would show the CEL? Sensors are about £50 each I think for a pattern part and I don't want to replace them if I don't have to.

The engine revs to 6,200 before lift kicks in but I change no where near that apart from the odd occasion. Usually I change between 2.5-4k rpm, it's a revvy engine so doesn't like being changed at low speeds.

Did you use die-electric grease when you connected the ground back up? If not you will get a bad connection as the metal corrodes. Bolting onto the car like you did is great, metal to metal contact, anywhere on the unibody 'will' earth. The issue is corrosion. I have some if you want to meet up.

Cel's will be thrown, but only when the sensor meets the designated parameters. It could be the front O2 is carboned up a bit and reading a bit slow, which affects mpg since it might read leaner than what it actually is, but not bad enough for a code to show. Sensors can be expensive. If the cat is breaking up, that can cause a restriction, but it would probably throw a code for that too.

2.5k sounds a tiny bit high, but reasonable considering where you powercurves are. Where do the other people shift?

None of the other grounds had grease on them so no. I've seen people use Vaseline before, doesn't it work the same way?

I may try and get hold of a second hand O2 sensor and see if that makes a difference before paying for a new one. I'll look into it some more.

Sometimes I change at 2k. Others either change down under 4k or just gun it everywhere and don't care! :lol:

Does the car have coilpacks or leads? Is there a lambda sensor on it anywhere? Where are your o2 sensors? And is there more than one?

Running through some cleaner will help as will a filter mentioned above but it would be worth checking the voltage on the sensors if you can. I am looking to get a wifi OBD reader hooked up on mine so if it gets sorted maybe we could plug into yours and "probe" your sensors if you can find out what the default range should be. ;)

22mpg seems silly low for the type of car. Its not heavy and its not a large engine. I would expect 28-30 average with mid 30's on a run. That's certainly what my old type-r did. The S2000 averaged 31mpg over the time I had it and that was worked hard! :)

Does the car have coilpacks or leads? Is there a lambda sensor on it anywhere? Where are your o2 sensors? And is there more than one?

Running through some cleaner will help as will a filter mentioned above but it would be worth checking the voltage on the sensors if you can. I am looking to get a wifi OBD reader hooked up on mine so if it gets sorted maybe we could plug into yours and "probe" your sensors if you can find out what the default range should be. ;)

22mpg seems silly low for the type of car. Its not heavy and its not a large engine. I would expect 28-30 average with mid 30's on a run. That's certainly what my old type-r did. The S2000 averaged 31mpg over the time I had it and that was worked hard! :)

Uses coilpacks, same as these.

It has a pre and post cat sensor, you can see the holes for them in this photo. From Toyota they are about £150 each I think!!

184069_10150729505555634_7298676_n.jpg

Just ordered the Blitz filter so that should be here in a few days.

I'll get some cleaner for it as well and see what that does.

I'm also getting an OBD reader, might order it today actually, it seems very good for the price.

The 2ZZ-GE is made by Yamaha and was based around a motorbike engine so it's been highly tuned from the factory, which is probably why the mpg isn't that great. Although 22mpg is very low for town driving, most seem to get at least 25mpg. It's also the same engine that is found in the Lotus Exige.

Also I was keeping an eye on the rpm this morning. Changing at 1.5-2k is pointless, the car literally just crawls and you go no where. I need to change up at 2.5-3k and when cruising at 30 mph I'm doing just under 3k rpm.

Ahh thought it was a 1.6 corrolla with a T-sport body kit. That engine you have doesn't make good MPG, relatively, but should get better than what you are getting? You driving in the city much? I see what you mean by a 'bike' engine. No wonder you have to sit at the high rpms, no torque in the low rpms worth squat nice high revver though! A screamer, will have to take me for a spin sometime =)

http://i108.photobuc...hnid/img057.jpg and that's with a high flow exhaust and CAI.

Ahh thought it was a 1.6 corrolla with a T-sport body kit. That engine you have doesn't make good MPG, relatively, but should get better than what you are getting? You driving in the city much? I see what you mean by a 'bike' engine. No wonder you have to sit at the high rpms, no torque in the low rpms worth squat nice high revver though! A screamer, will have to take me for a spin sometime =)

http://i108.photobuc...hnid/img057.jpg and that's with a high flow exhaust and CAI.

:lol: No wonder you thought my mpg was crap, bet it doesn't seem too bad now! :D

I'm done with the 1.6 and slow car days, I wanted something with some power. I had looked into mpg before buying the car and knew what to expect but it's still pretty low when driving off cam. This is the first high revving car I've had so wasn't really sure what to expect when driving it as well, I've been use to diesels for so long now and changing at 1k rpm.

Yep when you hit 6200rpm it screams alright! :D A while ago some guy was walking down the middle of the dual carriageway when I went past him at full chat, he got a shock! :lol:

Alot of people say fitting one of these gives them the placebo effect when it comes to power and noise. I would say there is a very slight difference in the induction noise but no difference in power, I wasn't expecting there to be but it pulls slightly better.

One problem I had before was at very low speeds the car would sort of kangaroo jump and judder, which I put down to the revs being too low for the gear. Since fitting this filter that has gone completely, which has surprised me alot, I didn't think it was the filter. Lesson learnt I guess, replace/clean it more often :)

Car is feeling great ATM, been using lift and loving it :D Done around 50 miles so far after filling up yesterday, which made the last tank work out at 22.5 mpg! :mellow: Hopefully next month I can say it's improved!

Think I need the geo checked though, seems to have a slight pull, which might be from where the bearing was replaced.

You driving in the city a lot? That's not too far off if that's the case.

Air-filters do make a difference. There isn't a 'placebo' effect with them at all. It's just not noticeable really since the power gains are not large enough for the butt dyno to register it. That filter looks pretty dirty. Just think of how well you could breath if you had to breath through something like that =) More restriction on the intake the more vacuum you need to pull the same air volume through the filter. More vacuum means more work for the engine(pump). You did find that drive-ability changes a lot with a little gain in torque.

That last tank was all town driving as I wasn't really using the car cos of the caliper. On my drive to work this morning the car was alot better when crawling in traffic, it was becoming tiresome before. It will start to judder very slightly in 1st gear if you go too slow but other than that it's fine.

That last tank was all town driving as I wasn't really using the car cos of the caliper. On my drive to work this morning the car was alot better when crawling in traffic, it was becoming tiresome before. It will start to judder very slightly in 1st gear if you go too slow but other than that it's fine.

Could probably do with the throttle body cleaned out with attention to the idle air control. When was your fuel filter changed out?

Your fuel pump assembly screwed into the tank? How is it built?

Glad it's running better. Considering you run a lot of city miles 22 isn't too bad. The MPG doesn't really clock up until you start cruising at a steady speed, preferably below triple digits.

Glad it's running better. Considering you run a lot of city miles 22 isn't too bad. The MPG doesn't really clock up until you start cruising at a steady speed, preferably below triple digits.

Triple digits! It's illegal to drive over 70mph! ;)

Most people seem to get at least 25-26mpg around town so it could be better. Even on a long cruise I didn't touch 30mpg!

Triple digits! It's illegal to drive over 70mph! ;)

Most people seem to get at least 25-26mpg around town so it could be better. Even on a long cruise I didn't touch 30mpg!

You might just have to pull the pump yet =)

It was a joke, would be insane to drive that fast on the road.